PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Alright gents decided to hit this topic figured it be fun but here it goes. Cellaring tobacco is obvious the best way to preserve tobacco as well as aging fine tobaccos, but what are the best types to cellar. I've read that barleys don't really change much, but Virginias blossom in this process and really become a better smoke. Let me know what everyone thinks and yes I'm aware of the concept to cellar something that was harsh upon being fresh this method helps to mellow tobacco out, but as I said what tobaccos to mellow.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have a bit of everything in my cellar. The majority consisting of VA or VAPER blends. Blends such as Christmas cheer and the like are supposed to age very well. My cellar only has about 3 years on it so I have a long way to go, but I'm looking forward to the 10 year mark to start opening some up.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
From what I have read, aromatics to not age that well, even though most are virginias. So, for my bulk aros (MacB Vanilla Cream and 7 Seas Royal) I place these tightly packed in pint canning jars. I can pack in 1/2lb into a pint jar. These aren't "cellared" so much as they are "stored".
For my bulk english and balkan blends, these I put in half-pint canning jars, at 50g per jar.
If I open up a tin of tobacco (one without a plastic lid, such as Squadron Leader), and don't expect to smoke the whole tin soonish, I will also place this tobacco in a jar as well. For plastic lidded tins, such as GLPease Caravan, the lid seems to be a great sealer, and I have had an opened/lidded tin stay moist for 6 months.
Most burleys that I have tried are not to my taste, so I cannot give note for those. However, canned jars are just as good as unsealed tins, so you really can't go wrong with using the canning jars. If it doesnt cellar/age, it will still store for a long time.

I set aside Virginias and VaPer blends that I am pretty sure will age best. I do have a few latakia blends in there as well as VaBurs, but mainly for storage and hopefulness. If these don't become wonderful with age, at least I will have them for the future. But, as far as what benefits most from aging, I can actually see the effects of aging on the Virginias the most.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I really don't pay a lot of attention what goes in, I try and get the spelling right on the label and I date when it put it in.
I just like talking about how much I have on hand in the event of some zombie apostolic event.
And of course it is very impressive when I show it to my brother-in-law.
I really just consider it storage, if good things happen, great. I mostly play by my own rules. 8)

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I didn't know that zombies held tent revivals, learn something new every day. :)

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
My everyday smoke is Mac Baren Vanilla Cream, so I normally have a couple pounds in storage. When I get down to a couple jars, I order a couple more lbs. The same with the 7 Seas Royal.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
This has been debated, berated, collaborated, stated, related, restated, underrated, overrated and otherwise given the proverbial stick treatment to the unfortunately deceased equus ferus caballus.
You will still get 20 different answers from 19 different people.
When I started out I saw no purpose for it. One thing that made me think was when someone said it ain't gonna get cheaper. Now I have a stash for that reason.
James

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I don't cellar I stockpile against taxes (only a matter of time before they hit internet).

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
3 lbs of stonahven I have mentioned being jealous of that prior to this but its more so I have never tried it and just have heard really good things about it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a cellar - tobacco which I am deliberately saving for 5 years or more - and a pantry, which is simply tobacco I haven't gotten around to smoking yet.

The change one sees in tobaccos with time is the releasing of the natural sugars as they ferment.

Burley blends are very low in sugars; they won't change much over time. They'll still be fine to smoke.

Virginia forward blends are higher in these natural sugars; they will change over time. I have observed this myself with tins that I set aside years ago. I recently finished a tin of MacB HH Mature Virginia from 2009; it was a much sweeter blend than in the past; so sweet and fruity that I thought, on first opening it, I wouldn't be able to smoke it. It mellowed out after begin open for a while, however.

I think it's worthwhile thing to do; it has certainly added a new dimension to my smoking.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I don't specifically 'cellar', as much as accumulate through attrition. I might have 3 or 4 lbs of tobacco around here, but mostly codgers and bulks of assorted variety. I smoke all day and smaller bowls generally. I may light up 10 bowls or more in a day. I like to have variety and to try new stuff.

By not having a lot of a few blends in a cellar, I'm not so committed to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.