PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
An estate Smooth Canadian 'Irish Seconds' pipe. No chips or cracks, minor darkening around the rim and minor teeth chatter. Doesn't Peterson put Irish Seconds on a pipe because of a some sort of flaw? Usually cosmetic right?

cleidophoros

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2012
Yes they have some flaws in the briar so they get to be seconds. I am not aware of any difference in the making process.

Jul 15, 2011
Got two Irish Seconds, one bent Billiard and one straight billiard that were given to me as gifts by a good friend. Terrific smokers, easily worth what you would pay for one. Both have GINORMOUS chambers and each one is a good hour smoke. The bent one gurgles just a teeny bit but its nothing to get excited about, I dont have the issue with the straight stemmed version. Ill see if I can get together a couple of pics of them.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Well if the price is right, and you want it, I say buy. Do you by any chance have a photo you can copy and paste?

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, please put up a photo if you can. We LOVE photos around here :)

As for the idea of buying a "seconds" pipe. I have a couple and the flaws on both were minor and smoked great. I think the important part is that the draft hole is set up right as it can really mess up the smoking experience.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
IrishSecond_zps877a99ee.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
If you shorten the shank and lengthen the stem, my Irish Seconds would look exactly like that. I say go for it. Its a damn good smoker and I love it.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
There's nothing wrong with a 'seconds' pipe. Some minor flaw or small stone in the burl. June and I buy

day old bread... Bread sets in the bread box for several days, is never all eaten the day it was baked.

But it's always just fine.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've got a double fistful of seconds from GBD, Comoy and Charatan. Each and every one smoke just as well as their more "perfect" family members.
A frugal man could build up a nice stable shopping on the right hand side of this spreadsheet:
http://www.pipes.org/Articles/Seconds.html
However, just because they're seconds doesn't mean they'll be given away. A Tilshead hammered down on the bay earlier this week for almost 60 bucks.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.