PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For some reason, I'm sitting here smoking a burley flake and thinking about aromatics. Since this subject comes up from time to time, I figured I would list my favorites.
Pipeworks & Wilke No.191: There's a reason why this is their number one selling blend. Honey and vanilla that smokes dry and delivers actual tobacco flavor? Believe it.
MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake: An aromatic flake? Yes. Tastes of both vanilla and tobacco? Yes. Buy it.
Savinelli Cavendish: Unheard of. Under-rated. Outstanding. A dry aromatic featuring honey and light vanilla.
Gatlin-Burlier Mountain Mall Mix: Is this Gatlinburg,TN institution a house of merely rebranded Lane aromatics? I dunno. All I know is the room note of this blend receives the most positive feedback of any other I've smoked in polite company. The smoker himself is not left burned or unsatisfied.
Stokkebye Nougat: Understated. Rich. Bulk. Good.
Pipes and Cigars Angler's Dream: Didn't make the cut to be labeled "Hearth and Home". Burley. Burley. Burley. And cinammon. Delicious.
Two Friends English Chocolate: One of the friends is GL Pease. Smokey Latakia, smooth Virginia, CHOCOLATE. 'nuff said.
C&D Autumn Evening: If you like in-your-face maple, this is your tobacco. The maple will smack you, but won't leave a mark.
Pipeworks & Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish: If you like subtle maple sweetness, this is your blend.
Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake: If you like rum without a full-blown tobacco kick, as is the case with most rum blends, this is your aromatic.
This is the aromatic favorites list of a predominantly non-aromatic maker, so it's worth what you paid for it. :)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Not an aromatic smoker, but I do on occasion enjoy a bowl of Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream. Oh, and also Two Friends English Chocolate but that's about my tolerance with aromatics. That's not to so I hate them (except for Molto Dolce), but that I just don't get any satisfaction from them. Actually, I wished I liked them more considering the way they smell and the ensuing room note, but for the most part they just simply don't fulfill my need and taste which is, more often than not, totally lacking. But... that's just me. :wink:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
About the only one I smoke anymore, and its seldom, is Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. I like it for its VA taste and the Honey/Vanilla is not over the top.......... :puffy:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I recently bought some Wilke Rumcake. Way too aromatic for me alone but when mixed with some McClelland #25, I enjoy it. I find McClelland 25 too much by itself but the richness and the cut make it an idea mixer for aromatics I like to smoke when the house is shut up due to winter or summer.
Mike S.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for the list, Perique. The only one on there I've had is Autumn Evening, but I will add the others to my wish list.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I'm sure I read somewhere that the LotR cast were given a few tobaccos to try when choosing one to smoke while filming. Stokkebye Nougat was the unanimous choice.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the review, Perique. Wilke Rumcake?
I recently bought some Wilke Rumcake. Way too aromatic for me alone but when mixed with some McClelland #25, I enjoy it. I find McClelland 25 too much by itself but the richness and the cut make it an idea mixer for aromatic.
Thanks, Mike. I am going to give that blend of the two a shot.

marcel

Might Stick Around
Feb 25, 2015
Got away from smoking aromatics but recently tried Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake and thought I should put more aromatics in my rotation. Most recent TAD included Mac Barens 7 Seas Black, Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and Cornell & Diehl's Golden Days of Yore. Aromatics and Christmas just seem to go together.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I didn't like Twist at first. But I like it now after it has had a chance to age a bit. I would consider it a crossover, but that's just me.
As for other crossovers I've loved before:
Erinmore Flake

Wilke No.5

GL Pease Barbary Coast

Peterson University Flake
All solid choices.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Erinmore Flake

Wilke No.5

GL Pease Barbary Coast

Peterson University Flake
All solid choices.
A big thumbs up on both Erinmore Flake and Peterson University Flake.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Perique
Think I'll give that Savinelli Cavendish a whirl, I like the G & H's too, black & brown, Caribean coconut etc.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
McClelland M55 Georgian Creme is really good; plus my wife says she enjoys the note on it.

kingjon

Can't Leave
Aug 27, 2013
+1 on the Erinmore And University Flakes. The Savinelli Cavendish really piques my curiosity! Thanks for the post.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.