PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a 4 year old daughter. Smoking in the vehicles is strictly forbidden, when she is in it, which I have no complaints, Especially at her age. So comes my question. What's the opinion on the OK age for kids to be, while you are smoking in the car? Is there such a thing? I know some people who just don't care at any age. These days are different then before, when my grandpa used to load the wife and 5 young kids on 5 hour drives, with the window barely rolled down, just puffing away on his pipe, and grandma chain smoking cigarettes. What's your opinion? I won't judge, I promise.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
It's illegal here to smoke in a car with children under 16 and I have no problem with that. I don't know at what age I would consider it to be OK, I see no need to expose anybody to my pipe smoke in an enclosed space like a car. On a long car ride I can leave the pipe alone and snus or dip if I really need to.

theosprey247

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2016
I don't smoke around my children. They're 12 and 14. Just playing it safe not trying to preach.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Grandpas generation did not know much about second-hand smoking hazards, even smoking hazards in some cases.

I'd never expose a non-smoker I care about to my smoke, especially not kids.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have to agree, while it's my choice smoke and I enjoy the aroma of the smoke. I do it on the back porch or when I am at work. Once my kids are old enough to make their own choice to be around me when I smoke that's fine but I'm not going to inflict it on them before them. That's just my opinion.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
In the UK it's illegal to smoke in a car with anyone under the age of 18. It's fair enough imo. I wouldn't want to trap someone around a heap of second hand smoke regardless of their age.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
4 years old?....... she should have her own cob!.........

But in all seriousness, do what YOU feel is right. For me, I smoke in the car. Always crack the windows.......

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
I fortunately am able to smoke in my house. I do like smoking outside when I'm in the mountains fishing but am even super conscious about people around me that may not want to smell my English. I would never subject anyone regardless of their age to me smoking in my car as they were a passenger.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
I won't smoke in the car at all, period - like texting, it can wait.
I'll enjoy the pipe more when I have the time to sit back, relax, reflect, and ponder the most important questions of life, what blend shall I try next?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I smoke in my truck, without the kids. I drive the kids in the car, without the smoke.
Out and about for a family walk, however, I will smoke my pipe every time.
Isaac

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Also while on the double topic of pipe smoking and four year old daughter...

I was puffing away the other day and I realised it had been a particularly satisfying bowl, with few or no relights. What did I do differently I thought to myself? and then I remembered it was not I who packed my pipe that morning, it was my four year old daughter 8O or maybe :oops: but either way :puffy:

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I won't smoke in the car with them - but I only smoke in the car when I'm on a road trip for work. I smoke on the porch otherwise and am fine with them being around me there.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'll go one step further and suggest that one should not smoke in the presence of anyone that either is not old enough to make their own decision about being there or does not want to be around smoke.
Truth is, i've come to regard pipe smoking in much the same way as I do fly fishing...its my private time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.