PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I've notice that we are starting to get quite a few members that are brand new to the pipe. I thought I'd add a few words of encouragement.
I started occasionally smoking a pipe more than 40 years ago. I am a beginner. When I started, there was no information out there showing me how to load, light, or tamp a pipe. There were very few blends of tobacco available. Everything was trial and error (mostly errors). There was no one that I could ask questions. The closest B&M store was 30 miles away (still is).
You are so lucky you have found this forum! In the few short months that I have belonged, I have learned more about tobacco, pipe shapes, cleaning, and restoration than I ever knew existed. I've seen pictures of pipes that make me drool, heard of brands that I didn't know existed, read tobacco reviews that have given my the courage to branch out. And most importantly, if I've had a question, fellow pipers have been there to willingly share their knowledge.
With all of that being said, don't get discouraged - practice makes almost perfect. Don't be afraid to ask, or talk about a problem - the answers are here. Don't sweat the small stuff - it will come. Most of all, Welcome!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hear, hear! Well put, sir. I've been smoking a pipe since 1970 and learn something new here every day. Take heed of plateaugy's words as this forum is a gift from heaven.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
You are so lucky you have found this forum!
+1
Excellent post PG. I'm a relative newbie but thanks to this forum - I think I have probably learned more in my short time smoking a pipe than my grandfather did (who smoked all of his life).
But pipe smoking is almost an art and takes patience, so... be patient! :wink:

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
I've learned more in the last 5 weeks of using this forum than I have in the last 5 years of smoking a pipe. I am continually humbled by the other members here, in the most positive light.
There's just such an expansive universe and culture to this hobby, and it's very cool to share in it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'll be honest - I found this forum while I was still researching pipe smoking, its risks, and so forth. It's one of the things that bumped over the edge from "Huh - interesting, and not as stinky as I thought it would be" to "I gotta get me one of those! And some of that! And a few of these - oh, and that, too..." :D

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Thanks for this post plateauguy,
I have no doubt that without the help and support of this forum and its members I would have most likely given up this fine hobby that I thoroughly have been enjoying for the past 8-9 months.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I couldn't agree more, I don't know where I'd be without this forum today. It has become a haven for me and I've made many friends, both online and in real life because of this forum. The pipe was something I was searching for but didn't even know it, the incredibly fine folks on this forum have helped me in my journey. Which is far from over and I look forward to sharing with the good folks here.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I found out about this forum when I started about a year ago. I wish I had started interacting with everyone sooner than I did. There is a wealth of information on here, as well as very nice people as well.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I truly believe we are experiencing a Renaissance of pipe smoking. With today's technology, and this site is a great example, we can learn so much about "how-to", cleaning, maintaining, refurbishing, different pipe makers, make-your-own, and exponentially expand our knowledge and interest in the pipe smoking hobby. Thanks, Plateuguy, for bringing up this point!

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Well said! The availability of informed experience from well-spoken and good natured folks on the Internet has COMPLETELY changed the learning curve of this past time for a steep cliff face to a brisk and invigorating hike, if you are of a mind to look for the information and listen to the help given. Had forums been more accessible (if at all there) ten years ago, or had I looked sooner, I I would have had my epiphany loki ago, and been farther on my way to happy puffing! And also in all probability have a hundred pounds stashed, because I have some compulsiveness issues. o)
Seriously, though, ASK! An honest question is never truly silly or useless. The worst question is always the one left unasked.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
When I started, there was no information out there showing me how to load, light, or tamp a pipe. There were very few blends of tobacco available. Everything was trial and error (mostly errors). There was no one that I could ask questions. The closest B&M store was 30 miles away (still is).
amen to that.
When I started back in the early 80's all I had access to were drug store pipes and tobacco it wasn't until I found a Tinderbox in the city I worked (50 mile commute)that I really started to enjoy smoking, they gave me a little pamphlet about smoking a briar pipe(I still have it :) )and I started buying bulk tobacco from them and a few pipes but that relationship only lasted a short while as they closed up. This internet thing really turned out to good thing for my pipe smoking as I now had access to all the cool stuff that just isn't available out in the sticks where I live.

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Incredible resource! So much experience and wisdom on this forum. And friendly too, without being overwhelming. That has been my experience. . . very encouraging.

Jan 8, 2013
Great post Plateuguy :)
I'm still a newbie, haven't been smoking a pipe even for a year... I want to say about 6 months. But the thing is, with all the information on this site and the fact that even a veteran learns something new from time to time, I'll probably consider myself a newbie until the day I die lol. I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this site. If not I'd probably still be completely lost and would have no idea there were so many pipes, so many pipe makers, so dang many tobaccos 8O and blends!!!! Oh good golly great googly moogley, there is so much to know and learn! I LOVE it!
Now the people, the posters, the members, the fellow brothers (and sister or two or three) of briar (and occasional cob, clay, or meer)! They are this... outstanding, caring, generous, noble, and honorable. The kind of people if you tripped and fell would rush over to help you back to your feet... not the kind to walk on by as if they did not see, or the kind that would even chuckle at your mishap. No they are good people, wonderful people, people who are willing to share their knowledge and help you grow in yours, and even occasionally offer a helping hand in your quest for briar and burley. They will help you with a birdseye view of the straightest path to the straightest grain. They applaud your purchase of a three thousand dollar pipe, and applaud your purchase of a fifty dollar pipe all the same. Both are beautiful in their eyes, regardless of price. And they know that a high priced pipe may not smoke as well as the low dollar pipe. There are few if any snobbish pipesters here. They offer a virtual handshake to prince and pauper alike, with a genuine smile (I'm certain)and genuine welcome.
After all... as great as this site is, it would be NOTHING if not for the members old and new.
Thanks everyone :)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hey, I've been smoking a pipe for 44 years but it wasn't until I joined this forum that I started becoming a well rounded pipe smoker. As an example; just check out the forum threads popular over the last 24 hours. I've picked up pipe smoking tips by learning about jazz music, how to cook ribs, the best paint ball guns to use, what cookies are, how to avoid getting ripped off on my gas bill (I'm living in an all electric home but what the heck), the latest in cameras, recipe for bleu cheese dressing, and pictures of pipe babes 40 years younger than me. What a deal! :wink:
Pipestud

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Great post PlateauGuy. Thanks.
Btw, you recently noticed that we have a steady flow of newbies, but it has been this way since the beginning in 2009. We actually used to get mostly all newbies signing up, and it wasn't until the past year that we had a noticeable amount more experienced pipe smokers.
Thanks again for the nice post and for participating here.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I began smoking pipes in the early 1960s, when I started to college. That makes me a mossback. I know. But I just want to say thanks to PG and others who have spoken up for this forum.
I can honestly say that I have learned more in the couple of years I have been hanging out here (so much so now that I am addicted), than in the 50 years or so that I have been smoking pipes. There was no help in the beginning. My first pipe was a basket pipe and a tin of English Blend.
So, I want to say +1 to PG and others who appreciate what we have here. If you are new to pipes and tobaccos, this is the place. It is an invaluable resource!

Status
Not open for further replies.