PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
As of Christmas I am a brand new pipe smoker. I have to relight about 5-6 times per bowl. Any advice would be appreciated.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Re-lights are part and parcel to pipe smoking. Don't stress about it, you will develop you technique through practice.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
5-6 relights isn't that big a deal. Some blends need more, some less. As northernneil said, you will develop your technique with practice. Focus on not burning your tongue and learning to taste the tobacco and the rest will come in time. Welcome to the hobby, and good luck :)

lchristmas

Lurker
Jan 5, 2016
Thanks, though I feel as i'm doing everything wrong, I thoroughly enjoy pipe smoking and will keep at it

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy pipe smoking and will keep at it
That's perfect! You just nailed the ONLY 2 "rules" there are to smoking a pipe IMO.
#1: Enjoy it!
#2: Keep smoking!! :)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Dry the tobacco longer
Try both tighter and looser packs than you are currently doing
Keep having fun! :puffy:

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
Don't get hung up on re-lights - as many to finish the bowl is sufficient! Speaking solely for myself, part of the art of pipe smoking is keeping the tobacco only just alight. The smoke is cooler, lasts longer and tastes better. The downside is that the pipe can go out easily. However, I smoke whilst driving and try to avoid re-lighting as much as possible. To do this I give the tobacco one or two charring lights (depending on the tobacco) and then the main light. I then almost always breath smoke. This keeps just enough air circulation to keep the pipe going to the bottom of the bowl. My favourite tobacco is Gawith and Hoggarth Balkan Flake and in my Peterson 312 a bowlful will typically last between an hour and a half to two hours, which is enough to get me most places.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I almost always smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Although the taste may be different, I have never had one that tastes bad. How do you pack? I would be disappointed if I had to throw away a third of my tobacco.
I did experiment with Fred Hanna's air pocket method for a while (still do sometimes) and found this most enjoyable, but more often than not I pack a full bowl.

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
5-6 times is actually doing great. You'll get better when you learn different packing techniques and how to try out your tobacco when you need it. And, sometimes you will do worse. I used to get so frustrated having to relight. I finally had to tell myself to calm down and enjoy the process. Things seemed immediately easier once I quit counting. Glad you discovered this phenominal hobby. Enjoy!

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Just for fun as a beginner try packing your pipe as shown in this video:

https://youtu.be/0XHYPso7TXs
And a few more quickies:

-maybe let a bowl full of the tobacco to sit out on plate to dry a bit (if you pinch it it should fall apart when you drop it not stick in a clump)
-char the top fully first, take 1-3 times to do it lightly, then tamp the top ash VERY lightly to cover the top of the tobacco then relight fully and puff gently and your off to the races.
- every once in awhile make sure if the tobacco in uneven in the bowl tamp the ash just enough to keep it even.
- if it starts to go out try to puff gently in the pipe then draw in with the bowl covered with your fingers to get that ember stoked
-Practice, practice. This is an art, dont get discouraged and relight as much as you have to. This is a balancing act between keeping the pipe lit yet not "too lit"
Hope that wasnt overkill..
Let us know how that works for you, I find that little empty air pocket this method leaves in the bottom of the bowl helps the burning process..

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
As long as you don't need a light per every puff, you're not doing anything wrong. That been said, try dry your tobacco some more; experience with different types of packing; and give your pipe a very light tamp every 5-10 minutes.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Ichristmas:
You received superb advice from every poster on this thread.
I've been a serious piper for quite awhile now and gave up on the relight count years ago. In the evening I always have a burner going: and it gets set down repeatedly when reading, watching TV, walking the dog, talking with my family, etc. Sometimes I'll relight ten or more times before the bowl is done and I could care less.
As long as you're enjoying yourself, the tobacco, your burner and the act/ritual of smoking, the number of relights does not - repeat - does not matter.
In this one tiny sliver of our mutual hobby I really am an expert - walking in truth and light.
By the way, welcome to the forum.
Fnord

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Try Carter Hall in a Cob, relight situation solved.
Some tobaccos are not going to burn right. Sometimes it's how you pack the bowl. Sometimes it's tamp/pull combinations. Likes others have said, don't get caught up with relights or that cake business. Just smoke the pipe. The biggest technique you've got to master is the sip, everything else will fall in place. One last thing, follow everyone's advice, about packing, lighting, etc. Experiment!

I always smoke to the bottom with only a beautiful mold of pure white ash left in the bowl that tumps out beautifully when done, and anything other than that is just gibbeldy gookery playing around with a pipe. If you don't want to have to relight like a loser, amateur pipe smoker, keep the thing in your mouth. When someone wants to talk to you while you are in the midst of smoking, well... that is why God gave you middle fingers. Flip them off and continue smoking in ecstasy, but whatever you do, don't remove the pipe from your mouth. Otherwise, go over yonder and set with the losers.
**Note, no animals or minorities were injured in the making of this comment. :wink: Now bugger off!! :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
5 or 6...hey, that's not bad. Don't sweat it. Sit back and enjoy your pipe, relights and all. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am always surprised when I reach the bottom of a bowl and realize I hadn't relit recently. So, number of re-lights is irrelevant in most cases. Dry it out a bunch more before packing, and see if that mainly does the trick. In any event, don't sweat it and welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.