PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have come to realize that I am just a hot smoker. I am trying to break in 2 pipes and I am worried about burning them out. My pipes that already have a good cake still tend to get fairly warm in hand. Any ideas on how I can change this without re-lighting a zillion times?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Pipe smoking is all about control. So smoke slower.
You also might want to try various packing methods. There are plenty to choose from. Find one that works for you.
Try different variations on the humidity of your tobacco. (Smoking in a humid environment doesn't do you any favors)
If none of these work then you will have to come to terms that you shall never know the love that a properly smoked pipe can give. You are hereby kicked out of Pipe Club. 8)
Keep at it, every pipe will have it's quarks. If you're worried about burning out a pipe then when it gets hot set it down until it cools. Maybe even start up another pipe until THAT one gets too hot.
I do this when I'm in the mood for two different smokes but don't want to sit on my butt for a long time. I'll load up two half bowls, smoke one til it's done, then light up the other. All is well.
Practice.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think it's a packing problem (and I'd guess around 70% of all pipe smoking problems are due to poor packing). A lot of guys say "ya-ya-ya", but they never reform their old bad habits with respect to this. John Patton has an aphorism to remind us of how it's done: something like smoke dryer tobacco than you think you should, pack it looser than you think you should, and smoke it slower than you think you ought to. Or something like that.
Of course, I'm not bloody Jacob Bronowski; so just on the chance that I've got it all wrong, maybe you should try a stronger and more flavorful blend. You might be trying to suck-out more than your current selection of tobaccos can deliver for your tastes, and the pipe gets overworked.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
After I quit cigs, I also was a Hot smoker. It is a difficult thing to make the changeover. Rather than puffing the pipe, try "Sipping" it instead. If the bowl gets overly warm, just set it down for a couple minutes. It will come in time.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
There are several reason your pipe gets hot, the two that have haunted me for years are;
1) If you pack to tight you will have more relights and to stop the relights you draw harder and more often which makes everything hot and not the best taste.
2) If tobacco is to wet the same thing happens you have to draw harder and more often to keep it lit and besides everything getting hot, you also steam burn your tongue.
I tend toward long slow draws as compared to some that gently puff, so I have trained myself to pack in 3 stages to get the best burn and I tend to like my tobacco dryer then most guys. These two things once learned stop the hot pipe problem but like already said, it takes practice. Everyone smokes slightly different and you will find the right combo. Enjoy the leaning curve.. :puffpipe:

johninkc

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2012
A pipe smoker is a combustion engineer. You get to manage your coal bed. :)
If the pack is such you are having to suck a thick milkshake to move air through, it's too tight. There should be some resistance over the empty bowl, but not a lot.
Get a good light going. How many folks have I seen hit the flame for a puff or two, and think that's good enough? Take the time on your charring light and your fire light to get a good light across the bowl.
Finally, Move. Less. Air. A gentle sip (a la a taste of brandy) every other breath is more than enough to keep the coals going. Every 3d sip or so, let the sip return through the bowl, allowing air movement in both directions.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I agree with the above -- packing too tightly is usually the main culprit. Also, if you're trying to avoid relights by puffing constantly, you defeat the purpose and smoke hot that way, too. So, yeah, pack lightly but get a good light to start. Try to err on packing TOO lightly and chances are you'll get it just about right.
Related to that, I find that a pipe with a more open draw (i.e., a bigger draft hole) especially through the stem can smoke much, much cooler than one you have to pull harder on. Moreover, a more easy draw requires a totally different mouth posture than the milkshake-style-draw. The wider the draw the closer it is to breathing and you can keep your tongue out of the line of fire better that way.
This is somewhat OT, but I almost always open up the stem of my new pipes with a needle file or tile saw "blade" (really a wire-shaped file). Rick Newcombe has written some articles on this practice and while I don't open my pipes as much as he does, most pipes benefit from a bigger draft hole -- especially through the stem.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
As cortezattic eluded to, I'll offer my dad's advice to me when I started smoking a pipe back in 1959. I still use his method, and it's never let me down.
The Vernon Cool & Dry Method
Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.

Pack looser than you think you need to.

Smoke slower than you think you need to.

Tamp less, and more lightly, than you think you need to.

Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits.

Don’t worry if you have a few relights.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
turtle.gif

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I was also a hot smoker and the less is better theory worked really well for me.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Good tips. I have already been having better luck by packing more lightly. I will try drying my tobacco slightly and see if that helps too. I think the comment about trying to suck more flavor out than the tobacco can offer may apply too- I will try some stiffer blends.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
My grandfather suggested that I let the pipe sit for a little bit before after packing it i usually leave it sit for about 10 minutes or so.I was still a hot smoker when I started though even using his trick but since I have learned to sip the pipe I havent had any problems that was the cure for myself anyway.My grandfather was the person who got me into pipe smoking he always had the coolest looking pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke exclusively outside in the Florida heat and humidity so I always dry my tobacco for a good hour before I venture outside to smoke. I use the 3 step packing method and make sure I don't over pack. I also sip my pipe and do not draw to hard. If my pipe gets to warm( which sometimes happens)I lay it down for a few minutes till it cools off. Pipe smoking is not like any other form of smoking, there is definitely a learning curve.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
The irony of my dad's advice is that drier tobacco packed looser and smoked slowly actually does provide more flavor from any blend. You'll finally notice how complex some milder blends really are. All that puffing hard and fast will provide is a hot pipe, a hot smoke, and loss of flavor through steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.