PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I've developed a habit of tipping my ash as it builds. Maybe half bowl, maybe a few times. Seems like it works for me on a re-light. But, I just bought my first Pete system pipe and it seems like I should avoid tipping it or I'll dump the reservoir. Any advice? Is that a habit I should break with the Pete?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
What I tend to do when smoking a pipe with a sump is to scrunch up some tissue paper and cram it into the sump afore loading the bowl. This will absorb the moisture during the smoke.
That way there is no water slushing around and you can tip your ash as and when you please with no ill effect. Of course the tissue will need to be removed after the smoke...I use fine tweezers.
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Jay: Thank your for this added info, I have me this Peterson half bent bulldog model 80s which has this'sump build into, and I hate this construction,accumulating condence and thus making it pretty unconfortable to clench for instance when I'm driving

who would know this 80s has this kinda of construction while my Peterson Model 999 half bent rhodesian haven't had it.Greets,

Paul

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I have one Pete system pipe from about 20 years ago and I never have enough moisture built up in it that I can't just dump the ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.