PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've always been frustrated by burnt Rims. The common suggestion was to lightly coat the rim with saliva, but this always seemed a little vulgar to me. Here's an idea that works for me.

Get a small jar of Halcyon wax. This is the stuff those of us who don't own lathes use to wax our pipes. Just smear a tiny amount of this wax on the rim, and periodically wipe it, and burn residue off, then reapply. Works like a charm.

Sep 18, 2015
Remember to BE CAREFULL with this stuff, I accidently got some in the chamber once, talk about ghosting a pipe!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I have always packed short of the rim and payed close attention to the angle of the flame to avoid charring. I've never had an issue. I do get a little residue built up on the near side of the rim over time, which a little saliva on a paper towel rubs right off. Nonetheless, it sounds like you found a good solution to ensure your rims stay protected which I'm sure your pipes appreciate.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I also pack lower on my better pipes which seems to work ok.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Holding the flame the right distance from the rim and drawing the tip of the flame close to the tobacco is what works for me. And saliva on a thumb helps remove the tarring of the rim from smoke drift. But wax is an extra layer of protection, and a good thing—at least I can't see a negative other than the time it takes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Hm. I've always just used beeswax on mine, plus the "moistening the rim" trick if required.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I only worry about my rims, until the pipe is broken in. Then I stop caring, cause they get filthy (protected).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since I only smoke outdoors, controlling the direction of the flame is not always possible. So I both coat the rim with Halcyon every now and then, AND wet the rim with some spit just before lighting up. A little spit on a finger tip and wipe the rim. Vulgarity is in the eyes of the beholder.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only way to actually burn/char the rim of a briar is to hit it with a very hot flame like a torch. The blackening you get from the soot of a match or soft-flame lighter buffs off. At least it always has for me. Although frankly Idgaf about it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
scarface, are you charring the rim, that is the only thing I can think of that spit wouldn't work? I have used spit for years and it always takes off what is on my rims. I always do it after I smoke when the pipe is still warm. I use a soft cloth and rub hard and it works.
I am also very careful when lighting my pipes. I only use the soft flame of my IM Corona Old Boys and Pipemasters. I also do most of my smoking inside so I have really good control of the flame. The times I do smoke outside, there is no wind to speak of. I smoke on my lanai which has four walls and only a few places where there is screening to let some wind in.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've found the saliva method doesn't really work, and I've always found the blackening doesn't ever really rub off, no matter how hard you scrub with spit, coffee whatever, it's still going to be a little dark. I don't know how some people keep their rims pristine but I'd love to know
I feel for you. Spit works perfectly for me. Keeps my rims pristine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I only smoke outdoors. I also renew the rim with halcyon wax. Maybe it helps as a barrier. We might also have different standards as to pristine. Smoking a pipe is going to bring about a little darkening over time.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Here's an idea: if you're that OCD some rim darkening gives you hives, then buy 2 of every pipe, one to smoke and one to fondle.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Tip to Keep Rims From Burning
Don't eat spicy foods and Tucks medicated pads are your best friend. Oh, and the saliva thing is what I do with my pipes.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
I had a real problem with this early on. My older pipes are pretty shame-full.

When I could afford a decent pipe, I began using lighters with small flames, and drawing it down, into the chamber.
Packing short of the rim helped immensely. The issue is resolved.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I just spit shine the rims. Works like a charm. But, I'm from the South and we just don't know any better!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's rim charring that prevented me from smoking certain pipes I'd purchased. Nobody wants to damage an expensive piece of carving or a pipe with sentimental meaning. I tried everything, but as soon as flame touched rim it was over. A wooden match, held just over the rim, works so perfectly. This method also has the awesome added benefit of being incredibly cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.