PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I saw the post from Tuss on Facebook regarding smoking the pipe more slowly. I am definitely guilty of smoking too fast, and this heating up the tobacco too much.
I didn't realize that this is caused sometimes from packing the bowl too tight, and so I've been focusing on a looser pack. I have enjoyed smoking more since I have done so. It's always good to occasionally have good reminders like this when bad habits creep in.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It took me a while to figure some of this out, and I'm still working on it... constantly. The sipping I had to learn tended to change from bowl to bowl. I tended to over pack at first, and then pack too loosely later. It's that balance that is a challenge to achieve for me sometimes. Even today I know how certain cuts should be packed, but I have found that a lot of the time it is really individualistic to the blend just as much as the cut to achieve that perfect flavor we all yearn for.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Bowl size and shape, tobacco cut and moisture and I'm sure some other variable make for a sometimes frustrating learning curve to get to a perfect smoke. I wish I could say I have mastered them all but it is very much an going education. Thanks to the pipe community and resources like this it sure does make it easier.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
So the tip you are referring to is to slow down? How about a link to this post you speak of. Not everyone is on FB. :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It took me a while to figure some of this out, and I'm still working on it... constantly.

Each new bowl is an opportunity for success. Each will have its own unique circumstances and variables.

Understanding what you're trying to accomplish goes a long way toward success. Understanding what you want to avoid is helpful.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Each pipe breaths differently too. I try to keep the same airflow in a pipe when filled as it is empty. Before lighting, I give the tobacco a slight press to give the draw just the smallest bit of resistance.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I too had to relearn to slow down. It is amazing how much better the smoke was/is. It's not always about learning new things, but un-learning bad habits. Thanks for the reminder. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One good thing about flake is that, unless you really muscle down when packing, you won't pack the flake too tight, and after a charring light, and a tamping, the pack will be about right, tight enough but not impermeable to air flow. Some flake seems to take right off and you don't need to relight until much later in the smoke. This might be a benefit to those who haven't tried flake before, or not so much.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Finding flakes to be more and more my tobacco of choice especially if I'm outdoors. True too about the packing and if the gods are smiling it'll take off and smolder for a good loong time. Smoked some FVF last night that seemed to last forever.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Flakes all day.
I do find that I tamp too hard sometimes. Which is very bothersome when I'm smoking one of my many pipes that won't pass a pipe cleaner because the airway in the stem is too narrow.... :x

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I tried the swirl method.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qn8oWE0DEM

I also tried a push and twist, which packs tighter. Still experimenting.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
That was the wrong video. Here's what I meant to show.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs&feature=player_embedded

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Each new bowl is an opportunity for success. Each will have its own unique circumstances and variables.

Understanding what you're trying to accomplish goes a long way toward success. Understanding what you want to avoid is helpful.
One good thing about flake is that, unless you really muscle down when packing, you won't pack the flake too tight, and after a charring light, and a tamping, the pack will be about right, tight enough but not impermeable to air flow. Some flake seems to take right off and you don't need to relight until much later in the smoke. This might be a benefit to those who haven't tried flake before, or not so much.
Well put, sirs, well put.

jmui

Might Stick Around
May 5, 2015
I think for me it is hard to slowly sip sometimes because I worry too much about it going out and having to relight. When I was a beginner pipe smoker, like most, I had a tough time keeping my tobacco going. Today, I am sometimes successful in a nice slow smoke and sometimes not. Always still learning. Of course there is always the packing of the bowl that has impact on the smoke as well. So much to consider. It's kind of a love hate thing sometimes.
I love pipe smoking, but wish I can master that slow smoke. Patience is everything I guess. And that is the hardest part for me.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I like the resistance to be similar to that of sipping on a milk shake - not a thick one. For me, it works on big pipes, little pipes, tall pipes and fat pipes.
Doesn't really matter whether I stack, layer, ball it, or fill and tamp, as long as I get the right resistance.I read of the milk shake test here and it may have been the single best tip I've adopted.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I had never seen the swirl method before.

I can't wait to try after work tonight.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Besides being better for the tongue, the main reason for my Facebook post goes back to what Neill Archer Roan wrote about combustion. If the temperature is right, the flavor elements of tobaccos will aerosolize so you can taste them properly. If the temperature gets too hot you'll get nothing but combustion by-products that will leave you with a charred, ashy taste. Overall, there's just no advantage to smoking fast and hot.
Russ

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Good point Russ, I've related on these forums many times how in my own experience the most flavorful part of the bowl is when it seems to be barely lit. With just enough two finger manipulation over the bowl it's often extended for some time. Just this evening as I was grilling on the deck I had hit mid bowl on some Dunhill navy roll and I hit that "sweet" spot. I pulled the food off and took in the kitchen and resumed concentrating on the pipe. My wife was like, "really?!, your not going to eat? Your going to keep smoking that stupid pipe?" I replied, "YES dear, I am". When I'm in the zone, I'm in the zone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.