PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
Hello. I smoke pipes for quite a while now but it happened about 5 times that my new pipes develop one or several tiny holes on the outside bottom of the bowl. When i blow air i can see bubbles with air. I try to break in my pipes carefully. I really want to know what it could be? Burn out or defective pipes. I could add that i ussually buy inexpensive briar. Any help would be great.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
My first thought was carburetor, but that doesn't sound like what you are describing.
Are all five pipes from the same source? I suspect you may want to find a new source for cheap pipes.

trubka

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
The holes are very small-I found them by blowing bubbles. It happened with 2 Rossi Salerno pipes as far as I remember. The rest were busket pipes quality. When you smoke such pipes, they doesn't taste tobacco and often go off. Sorry for my English.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With one brand of pipe, this would be a quality defect. With two or more different brands, there's something else going on. Rossi are now a sub-brand of Savenelli, with Sav shapes and same company producing them. Not everyone loves Sav's, but they are a good dependable brand, as is Rossi, so this would be uncommon with them. Look the pipes over carefully. See if they have burned through, or if someone has taken a drill to the bowls, or something else unexpected. I've never heard this complaint before.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
Yeah, five pipes from different makers, including two Rossis. Something else is going on.

trubka

Lurker
Jun 10, 2012
I put some water to catch the air buble. But right now I have no doubts that I simply burnt out pipes.I have to reconsider my habits-I dont let a pipe to get too hot to touch the skin. But maybe puffing to hard or using matches too often.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
my first thought (!) was maybe another brand of soap? bubbles, eh? Ya, that's a first.

The air down there is introduced on the draw, normally.

Have you tried the handyman's secret weapon? Duct tape?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had it happen on a KB&B and a Tim West. In both cases, there was a tiny hole in the center of the birdseye.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A tiny hole in the center of the birds eye sounds possible, but on several different pipes of different brands? Smoking habits doesn't explain it because that would usually result in a burnout, which would be a process involving a distinct burnt out area, and again, wouldn't happen in several pipes of different brands simultaneously, I don't think. Photos might help, if you can do extreme close-ups clearly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos, please.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
20190620_060159.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.