PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
So last week I had talked about seeing a small Oom Paul in my B+M and how I'd love to try one. Well Jeff at the B+M sold me the one I'd seen in the first place. It's a small pipe about the same size as a Peterson 317, 4 1/2" from bottom of the bowl to top of the bit. The bowl is 3/4" diameter and 1 3/4" deep, sterling silver band with the stamp

CPF

Best Make

Best I can find out is it was made around 1900, give or take a decade, by either the Colossus Pipe Factory or Consolidated Pipe Factory (no one seems sure what the company name was) out of New York.

The pipe is well smoked but also well taken care of. Light cake and a few dings but not serious marks. I look forward to trying some Capstan Blue Flake in it this weekend.

FA981C6C-496E-4684-B808-86D5A172AD8E_zpsnrz3imyz.jpg

0DC6FF26-C750-4F8F-A5CD-391AA6D8D06F_zpsr3qnlh4r.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Lucky dog! Great pipe. Some CPF pipes are absolute crap, but that one appears to be one of the higher grades. Happy smokes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you search them on ebay, you'll see a lot of pipes that are in pretty rough shape. Yes, they're very old, but they don't hold up nearly as well as other pipes from the same period, like BBB, Barling, Salmon and Gluckstein, etc.
Maybe that's a little strong, but you'll find lots of CPF pipes made of "French Briar" (with fills) and you'll find lots of ill-fitting brass bands, etc. WDC is like that -- some really nice pipes and some that are clearly lower-end.

Absolutely a fabtastic looking Oom you got, Blue. Congratulations. I find that my absolutely best smokers are the old ones from that same era, because if the sap hasn't dried out of it by now, it won't ever get any better. I hope you build a tight bond with that one. It will give you a cool look too.

Keep it smokey... :puffy:

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
A good find, sir, that should be a good smoker, as well.
Enjoy.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
you'll find lots of CPF pipes made of "French Briar" (with fills)
Ha! I have a couple of those. They are crap by every measure - except that mine smoke like nobody's business.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
blueeyedogre, That actually sounds like a fairly good sized pipe. You have found yourself a nice old pipe.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The C in CPF stand for Colossus. Your date is pretty good. From what I can see it has a replacement stem. But it looks good. Probably an improvement. I've had a lot of CPF pipes. Sure some were probably 10 cent pipes. But they made some really nice high end stuff too. Sterling band, nice briar, it looks great! It's well seasoned and probably smokes super.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You've recently expressed your desire for a tiny Oom Paul, and I'm very happy you managed to get one, and a very special one at that.
Ever since you started that thread a couple weeks ago I decided to pull out a tiny Hungarian I had set aside and wow am I ever enjoying it. Thanks to you I decided to give my Oom nose warmer another chance and I'm so glad I did.
Huge congrats on that great little pipe of yours!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Have a Comoy Tradition OomPaul #17 that is a pretty small bowl...probably around a grp.2 or 3...wonderful smoker....that old wood is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.