Tinsky Christmas Pipe Collection on Ebay

(13 posts)
  1. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

This is a little sad.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/192766490500?ul_noapp=true

The seller is just a big fan of Tinsky pipes and used to be a participating forum member (tinpan). I met in at the last CORPS show in Va, where he showed this collection, and had a ready to print book. The book never made it. I'm sure his name was Robin, but I can't recall the last name.

The seller was a customer of the now closed JB Hayes show in Northern VA (John Hayes ran that one). Johns son, Matthew still runs the JB Hayes in Winchester VA. As mentioned in the ebay ad, John was one of the original seller of Tinsky Christmas pipes. John makes a living as a fishing guide on the Potomac and Mark is a big fishing enthusiast, so I guess they hit it off early. JM Boswell well said they all three used to travel to shows together, I guess that would have been in the late 80's?

Robin started thread here in 2013, with a Tinsky Advent theme, detailing a pipe per day.
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/american-smoking-pipe-company-christmas-pipes-advent-calender

It's too bad that Robin's health forces the sale. He was quite passionate about this collection, I'm sure it pains him to sell it. I remember him being a decent guy, but a tad optimistic in this sale.

Al

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too bad..... and too optimistic.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Nice pipes, but spendy.

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's a beautiful collection at an ugly price.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Those are beautiful pipes. Unfortunately, I think his potential buyers is a pretty short list.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So 34 Tinsky pipes at 1000usd(more or less) per pipe. What does a custom made pipe run these days?

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Current Xmas pipes run $225 +/- depending on finish and grade.

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Range? $50 to $10,000! Average? Median? A new one from an established but not revered (or dead) carver I'd GUESS is around $400.

Thank God I am not a fan of most of Mr. Tinsky's creations....Thinking a new car for wifey instead of that collection!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  9. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

Awesome pipes at a I don't want to sell this price. Appeasing the better half?

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Awesome pipes at a I don't want to sell this price. Appeasing the better half?

You might have something there! Someone remind me about this tactic in 20 years.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's sad when a collector is forced out due to health. You can't blame a guy for trying.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, it could happen that he gets bite at that price but I wouldn't think so.

Posted 7 months ago #
  13. raevans

raevans

Login to Send PM

Other than John Hayes, I think that Robin is the only other person to have the entire Christmas Pipe Collection. When he came to shows and displayed them, he would be offered outrageous amounts for them. Who knows, maybe he will get what he is asking for. I wish him the best of luck.

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   chasingembers, alaskanpiper, jpmcwjr, josephcross, ben88, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, loadclear, loneredtree, lochinvar, donjgiles, mikefu