PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
I am back to pipes after a long recess, and find I'm enjoying burley blends these days for both the flavor and the room note compared to the English blends I used to smoke. Just wondering, and I hope this is the right place for this, what tinned tobaccos are nice, full bodied burley blended with cavandish or virginias (or both)? Something on the stronger end of the spectrum. While I love the bulks I'm getting locally, the selection is limited and would like to try ordering some tins on line. Thanks in advance!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Welcome to the forum Brian. I'll let someone else chime in with Burley recommendations but your definitely in the right place.

Jul 15, 2011
I am a huge fan of Cornell and Diehl's burley offerings, there are a lot of great selections that come in a tin. Permit me to suggest the following:
Easy Times

Exhausted Rooster

Old Joe Krantz (be careful with this one. Packs a hell of a nicotine whallop)

Any of their Burley Flake Series
Solani makes an aged Burley flake that some like, I myself didn't care for it all that much. You could also go with MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired, and GL Pease has a few nice Kentucky burley offerings, namely Jackknife Plug, Haddo's Delight, and Cumberland. If you are willing to spend some money on something not tinned but can be bought in bulk, 4 Noggins carries a blend called Storm Front that is very nice and smooth. Also in bulk, you could check out Cornell and Diehls Night Train and Haunted Bookshop, both excellent smokes. Let us know what you choose and how you like them!

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
Well, I went to P&C looking for tobacco, and when I saw the Escudo, memories of bowls filled with singing angels came back to me. It was my absolute favorite back in the day, so I guess I'm actually a Va/pers guy. Based on that I made the following purchases:
5 tins of Escudo (probably not enough, lol)

Orlik Golden Slice (based on price, if I really like it I'll get more)

Peterson Irish Flake (I do like my vitamin n)

H&H Signature Frenchy's Sunzabitches (bulk)

Peter Stokkebye Bulls Eye Flake (again, based on price and flavor profile, this may become a daily for me).
Seems like a good start to find out what I like besides Escudo.

Irish Flake is what I immediately came to mind when I read your OP. But, if you are a VaPers guys, you need to try Haddo's Delight for strength and taste. Also, if you like Haddos and want to try a bulk blend, C&D's Poplar Camp is very similar, but maybe a tad stronger with no casing flavors. If I am not mistaken, I think that I read that Mr. Pease also had a hand in designing this blend. It doesn't have the Green River Cavendish that Haddos has, but it had a very strong burley added for kick.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Interesting, you came looking for burley blends, yet it looks like you bought mostly VaPer's in your order.
If you're looking for a nic hit, H&H Freight Train is good ride. I'll second the C&D's Old Joe Krantz as well as a powerhouse too.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
You might want to try out Solani Aged Burley Flake (656). It's very good tobacco from an excellent blender and may be what you're looking for.
Their other offerings are also pretty damn good, so I wouldn't stop there. They're worth every penny.

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
Yes, I wound up getting Va/pers based on my love for Escudo. When i was last into pipes, in the 80's, I got the latakias almost pushed on me. Prior to that, I had bought a couple tins of Escudo and absolutely loved it. Why I didn't get more back then I don't remember. In fact, I had forgotten all about it until I saw a tin on the P&G website and it all came back. Now being a bit ignorant myself, I had no idea what a va/per blend was and for sure couldn't have told you what escudo was other than an orgasm in my mouth. In my ignorance, I thought there was latakia, cavendish and burley and that's it. Coming to find out I'm a va/pers lover based on my love for Escudo, which is why I bypassed the burleys when I ordered. Sounds a bit nutty, but there you have it!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
which is why I bypassed the burleys when I ordered. Sounds a bit nutty, but there you have it!
LOL ... nice double entendre.
I second the Solani Aged Burley Flake ... very smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.