Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
So I finally decided to purchase a tin of this along with Sixpence. Now I realize that the flavor and fragrance of a tobacco when lit is not the same as the tin note. But I'll say the tin note of ODF surprised me. This tin smells of a mild barbecue sauce, or maybe ketchup. I've heard that some Virginias can give that fragrance. But if I'm not mistaken, ODF is mostly Kentucky.
I think I'll give either Sixpence or ODF a smoke this afternoon. Just hoping that ODF doesn't taste like the tin note.

Having some of my own crop tobacco starting the fermenting process, I find that when Virginias start to shake its ammonia in the cure, that the vinegar smell is natural. Yeh, there's a plethora of weird smells that curing tobaccos can have naturally. However, Per, himself, has come on here to say that they've added some vinegar to this blend to help reduce mold. That said, I don't know what the ratio is exactly, but I mostly taste the African dark Virginias. Having smoked straight Dark Fired Kentucky on a regular basis, I only taste a nice balance between the two. I'd call it a VaBur, but others insist on calling it a burley.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Thanks for the explanation, Michael. The added vinegar would explain the tin note.

Per responded when Harris openly called them out on the floor because of rapidly rusting tins. Per's response was that the added vinegar made the flake more acidic, thus the deteriorating tins. I recommend that if one wanted to age this flake that they open the tins, let them air out for an hour or so, and then put the flakes in jars, leaving headroom, so the acidic flakes wont touch and deteriorate the jar lids as fast over time.

Per also stated that they would look into the rusting tin problem, but I've yet to see a difference in the rust problem. But, I may not be getting fresh tins. Every tin that I've opened has substantial rust in it, YMMV

Still yummy though. :puffy:

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I plan on purchase some on my next TAD, and I have a question/suggestion. Would it help to take a wax stick along the rim of the jar before placing the lid and screwing down the cap? Would it help to seal, or would it make the seal worse?
If it would help, would Burts Beeswax be an option?

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I will say there was no rust in my tin (which dates to March 2013). But it is breathing right now in a mason jar.

The jar lids have an awesome seal, which will help greatly in preventing any deterioration from letting air pass. None of my tins lost any vacuum or seal despite the rust, and Andy reports no rust. I would just check it every month or so. I like to check my jars, ha ha, like Gollum admiring his ring. :puffy:

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I had a chat with the folks at smokingpipes.com, and though I don't want to speak for them as I may be mistaken, IIRC they often recommend placing tobacco in mason jars to age (especially some Solanis which have lousy seals). They do not recommend heating the jars to get a vacuum - as I was told the heat can add humidity to the jar and foster mold. So I'm doing what they suggested to me and it's been working so far - for around six months. That being said, I have a number of tins that I am not placing in jars, too. I like to live dangerously.
Anyway, I have a beautiful flake of ODF sitting on my cutting plate - and by itself there is no noticeable vinegar aroma. It seems that the aroma is present when the flakes congregate - but if you get them alone, they smell just dandy.
I have no idea if I will like the tobacco - but the tin presentation was perfect, the flakes themselves are uniform and super attractive as flakes go, and by itself this one flake has a very nice fragrance pre-smoke. Things bode well so far. I'll let this puppy dry for a half hour or so and then give it a smoke.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I opened a tin from 2013 and there was no rust. I have seen a few from photos that other posted that did. Best to be careful and jar them if you're planning on long term aging. One thing to remember is that tobacco cellaring isn't done that much in the UK or Denmark. Per told me that MacBaren blends were generally produced to smoke now rather than later. And yes, there is some Virginia in it, so it is a VaBur. The burley does not age as Virginia does, so I'd think a well aged ODF would be more Virginia forward than a freshly opened tin.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
This is one seriously good tobacco. I had gotten the impression that this was a spicy tobacco. And I find that my palate does not do well with spicy tobaccos like orientals or heavy Perique blends. This was one of the smoothest first smokes I've had with any tobacco. Just superb.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"This tin smells of a mild barbecue sauce"

Dark Fired tobacco smells like Bar-B-Q. No doubts about it

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Best way to deal with the Bar-B-Q smell is to smoke some while eating a juicy burger.

Status
Not open for further replies.