PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
My folks are going to take a winter vacation from Canada down to Mesa, AZ. There's a tinderbox in town, and I thought I'd ask them to snag some cheap tobacco. I haven't been to a Tinderbox so I was curious what sort of tin selection could be expected? All I could find on their website was a collection of their house blends.
Thanks!
Edit: By cheap I don't mean the bottom dollar toaster leavins of tobaccos, just cheap in comparison to the $35 or so per tin I'd pay up here :)

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
From my understanding Tinderbox sell their own branded tobacco.

You can go to their website and there is a place to help you out to pick a Tinderbox tobacco.

Click on Pipes and Tobacco, then Exclusive Custom Blended Tobaccos, then Find a Tinderbox blend comparable to yours.

Hope this helps.

Aug 1, 2012
The Tinder Box SLC has a good selection of McClelland, Nording, Peterson and Dunhill tobaccos as well as some of their own blends (I tried their Nave Flake and like it) for some pretty reasonable prices all around. Not sure about the one in AZ though.
The one in SLC also has quite the selection of pipes by the local carver Arley Curtz as well so it makes for a tempting stop every time.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I think it depends on the franchise owner. Their selection seems to vary.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
it all depend on the Tinderbox.. our local TB has a nice selection of tins. I have asked in others and get a blank stare.
I checked out the TB in Mesa and it look's to be well above average.

TB Mesa

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Best buys are on their house brands in bulk, if you can use those and jar them up if you don't

plan to smoke them all right away. Does anyone have a handle on where Tinder Box sources

its tobaccos? I'd like to buy at my local TB and save shipping, but I'd also like to know what

I'm smoking. Like is their Cherry Cavendish from Altadis? It would be helpful to be able to

line up their blends with the wider world, if they aren't proprietary. My local independent is

okay with letting me know where his tobacco is from -- Lane, McClelland, etc.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I used to work at a TB in the 80s -- so lots of things may have changed since then! -- but back then almost all of the TB "house blends" were from Lane and Stokkebye.
They didn't have anything called Cherry Cavendish back then. Their cherry blend -- a Danish blend they claimed was produced exclusively for TB -- was Anniversary. So, if it's actually Anniversary you're looking for, you may have to stick with Tinder Box. (Although it's quite likely you could find something very similar from Stokkebye.)
Bob

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
yeah I worked at the tinder box in Louisville ky back in the 70`s. I think most house tobacs where from lane. I do not remember them having a big tin selection at that time. a lot of aromatics with a few straight burleys and a few English tobacs. I love working there, the store was located in a mall, on sundays we would go to the walgreens and purchase some whiskey and drink in the store while working, it was great.
mike.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rothnh, I think you just sold 2 oz of Wilshire for TB. That is their signature blend from their first

store in L.A., if I have the story right, so I guess they either had Lane blend it, or Lane blended it

and offered it to TB. Fascinating stuff, historical but hard to pin down. Lane Ltd. 1Q has been

mentioned in Forums and I've been interested to try it, so this is a way to buy a small bag in bulk

and not pay shipping. Do you happen to know the source on TB's Northsea? That was my original

blend in the 1970's, and I might do that for a nostalgia trip. My TB franchisee told me he thought

their Cherry Cavendish was Altadis, but he didn't seem certain. I think they sell more rather than

less if they'd decode these blends for the experienced smoker. mlyvers, I savor your account of

working in TB in days of yore, with the Walgreen whisky for long, slow weekend shifts. My mall

TB does a good job, but I think the mall won't have smoking, so it's all carry-out. My local

independent, a sort of pipe guru, maintains his little smoking roundtable and will encourage

anyone with a pipe to sample a pinch of anything in bulk before they buy it. We're either living

in the past here, or the future.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
We have one Tinder Box left in Washington - there use to be 5, but our smoking laws have taken their toll.
My wife was just in the Tacoma shop and really like the owner, who was friendly and helpful. She bought 2 aromatics, Sunset and Mango Tango. I hear that Wilshire is also a good one. When I asked her, she said that all she noticed were Tinder Box blends but there might have been blends in tins, she just wasn't looking for those.

I have yet to get there - it's quite a drive from our home, and I'm usually busy on the weekends but I'm looking forward to the field trip.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
The Tinder Box stores out west tend to be outside of malls, and therefore less of a tobacco & gift shop, and more of just a straight tobacco shop. I haven't been to that area in a few years but when I was out there the Tinder Box stores in Arizona tended to have really good selections of pipes and pipe tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.