Tinderbox Restoration

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by celticbrewer
  • Latest reply from ron44
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

celticbrewer

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

Had a lot of fun with this one - tinderbox I found on ebay - looked in rough shape but I liked the grain. First time attempting briar dust fills for nicks on the pipe. Let me know what you all think!

Before

After

Close up on the fill

Posted 1 month ago #
  2. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GREAT job there Brother! Wish I had that kind of talent...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Super nice job!!

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great Job..

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 1 month ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those Tinderbox house pipes were excellent; my first pipe, which I still have and smoke, is a Tinderbox St. Ives, smooth bent pot. Still cookin' just fine.

Posted 1 month ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

celticbrewer

Login to Send PM

Thanks all! It came together well

mso, just had my first smoke in it -- amazing! Really appreciate this brand now.

All this one says is "london briar" not sure if there is much history to it as far as when it was made etc.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to repeat myself too much, but house pipes are most often from tobacconists and pipe shops who want to promote pipe smoking, so they want to sell really good smokers, even while they keep the price pretty low for first-time pipe smokers. So you tend to get a pipe above its price point. Some might have a fill or two, but most are high quality briar with well-drilled airways, and not bad looking. And many house pipes are better than that.

Posted 4 weeks ago #
  8. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Sweet! Nicely done

Pierre
    Posted 4 weeks ago #
  9. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe, and nice restoration too! I have a couple of Tinder Box pipes, both excellent smokers. One is a Verona which was made by Mauro Armellini for Tinder Box stores, and the other is a Unique which was made by Charatan for Tinder Box. Unless you're a brand name junkie, these sub-brands are found on the estate market for very reasonable prices and are hard to beat!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 4 weeks ago #
  10. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Especially true for the Verona, Orley. It was much better quality & higher line than most of the ones like Selected, St. Ives , Unique, etc. At the time I worked for them I had no idea who Mauro was, or would've [probably appreciated his talent if I had. But I knew I liked the Veronas (had 3-4 of them BITD). Last summer I got incredibly lucky on eBay & picked up a couple of unsmoked ones in separate auctions -- still original packaging on both! I've got 6-7 currently & every single one of them is as fine a smoke as any I've ever had, AND they've got my nostalgia factor from my time behind the counter!

Plus after finding out about Armellini on these fora I made a point to start looking up ones he & family made under his own name after striking out, & they've all been stellar as well. Between them & the Veronas I've got 14-15 of his & it doesn't stop me from looking for more. }:)

The TBI house pipes I've seen over the years may have some flaws here & there, but I've only seen one since '74 that I personally wouldn't have had due to pits/fills. The McDonald's of pipes, possibly, but they did give a decent smoking experience to a lot of new smokers, far better than they'd've gotten from cheapo-beepo drugstore crap.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  11. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool Tinderbox pipe. Nice job with the cleanup!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  12. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice. That grain was well worth preserving! Good on you.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  13. patiobum

patiobum

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice indeed !!

cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.......

martin
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

ron44

Login to Send PM

A lot to be said for the pleasure & enjoyment of restoring one of those tinderbox pipes. Great smokers and pretty nice house pipes. They also bring back many nice memories of my early years of pipe smoking. Visiting local Pipe shops, the smells of the many tobaccos and eye-balling so many different factory pipes. It all leads to a lifelong enjoyment of the pipe smoking hobby.
    Anyway, in a nutshell congratulations on your nice job of reclaiming an older pipe & putting it back on the smoking rack.

Posted 3 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   philobeddoe, cortezattic, ericusrex