PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
I know that Lorenzo in Italy made scads of shapes for Tinberbox (lines included Monza, Lugano, etc)...but which Italian maker made asymmetrical freehands with burl top and burl shank end for TB? I have one where I had to use some magnification to even pull enough letters out to ID that it was a TB, and barely could see enough to confirm Italy. Anyone know?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
TB? Not sure. I know Mauro Armelini made pipes for them, the Verona in particular. I have one of those. TB probably refers to Tinder Box? Photos would help.

Tim

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Yes, I meant TB as Tinderbox.
5wza7d.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Even being a Verona (*&* Armellini) fan *&* having worked for TBI long long BITD, I can't help, though I sure wish I could. I had one that was very similar to that & wish I still did (one of many I gave away to new smokers over the years). I can still see it in my memory & I would give my eye teeth (if I still had them) to have it again. If you find out, PLEASE do let me know, 'cause this is gonna bug me now! The bowl was a little more conical & the finish was lighter, but otherwise *very* similar, even to the stem. -sigh-
I do love my 4 Veronas & 6 Armellinis. :) Got huuuuugely lucky about 6 months ago & glommed onto a *literally* NOS Verona on fleabay, unsmoked & still in the original box. A virtual Holy Grail for me!
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Can't help with this one. My one Tinder Box pipe, stamped a St. Ives, is according to a response to my inquiry, probably a Chacom. It's a bent pot with a slightly unusual vertical saddle stem. Many house pipes come from various sources over the years. Iwan Ries has offered Bentons, various Italian pipes, and today they're back to Genod after many years, just for example. That's a beautiful freehand with plateau on the brim and shank both. Could even be Danish? The stem color is an excellent pairing.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My one Italian made for Tinder Box is made by Ascorti and says so on the pipe. It's a La Silvanah model.

It's a stout rusticated sorta Dublin w/a typical asymmetrically cut Ascorti lucite saddle stem. (ebay, just needed a good cleaning)

Status
Not open for further replies.