Tinder Box Blends and their trade names (Norse Gold?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I have been trying to find out what the trade name is for Tinder Box's Norse Gold, as I no longer have a TB within a 4 hour one way drive, and my local B&M owner said they'll carry it if I can find it. My search has given way to many of the TB blends and their parent names, and I thought I would share it here, in the hopes that others will add to the list, and I might find out the identity of my beloved (but now costly, even by online/mail order) Norse Gold.
Tinderbox Name = Trade name/brand

Wilshire = Lane LTD 1-Q

North Sea = Peter Stokkebye #24 Nougat

Crown Royale = Peter Stokkebye Vanilla Creme

Sunset = Lane LTD HS-3

Chartwell = Lane LTD RLP-6

Sherlock's Choice = Lane LTD HGL

Midnight = Lane LTD BCA

Proper English = Peter Stokkebye PS52

Burley Light = Lane LTD Burley Light Without a Bite

Captain Spice = Peter Stokkebye Black Vanilla

Anniversary = Peter Stokkebye Cherry
Norse Gold =

Aalborg =

Philosopher =

Rum Runner =

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'd like to make one correction: the Anniversary Cherry is a Lane product or so my Tinderbox guy told me some time ago. Sorry I can't answer your Norse Gold question.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Sir, I thank you for the correction! I really do want to have as accurate a list as possible, and may I say, some of your other posts and reviews have been extremely helpful. Its because of a couple of your reviews that I'm delving a bit deeper into the Mac Baren and Sutliff blends.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Kibo: thank you for kind words about my reviews. I'm glad they have been of help to you. Btw, Call me "Jim." "Sir" is too formal. You'll find most people here are very friendly, and willing to help. I can't claim we are all normal, but that's another story all together!!! :rofl:

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Works fine for me, Jim! I'm not exactly 'normal' by most conventional definitions...hell, I've been hunting the bulk name of a TinderBox tobacco for a couple years, that CAN'T be 'normal'! Now if I can figure out how to edit that original post to update the info...

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I'd always heard that Norse Gold was their own blend - ie concoction of a couple base blends they brought in. We used to have Tinderbox about an hour away from me when I was growing up and my dad still had a bag of it:

iTqQ58c.jpg

This is late 80's mid 90's...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kibo, thank you for the list, and jiminks for the correction. It's the only trouble with B&M's renaming tobacco,

but I guess they have to do that to cut in for their share of sales, with all of the online availability. I'll pay

a little more at my local independent and Tinder Box just to keep them going. A pipe shop is a rare and

beautiful thing. You can't even smoke at my Tinder Box because it's in the mall, but it sure smells good

anyway. My independent exists in another universe, with a pencil sign on the door explaining to stay out

if you don't like the smoke, with plank floors, and often as not, a group of guys sitting around spinning

yarns. It's a time machine. Next door to a bike shop and tattoo parlor. When the owner retires, we'll

never see 1954 again.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
mso489, you're quite welcome. I am happy to offer what little I know, in the hopes I'll learn more. My local B&M doesn't rename their tobaccos, as they feel it'll sell better with the true label on it...or as the owner told me "Why the hell would I call Dunhill Nightcap something like 'House Blend: Sleepytime', when people know Dunhill,but they don't know me; if I blend it, grow it, whatever. Nah, it'll sell on recognition before morbid curiosity." I agree with it to a point, but I get the other side too,as you said.
My nearest Tinderboxes are over 4 hours away from me (Columbus OH, if they even still have pipe tobacco...I don't rightly know) and the one in Harrisburg doesn't even sell pipe tobacco, they're 'a cigar only Davidoff Tinderbox'...I'd always prefer to go in person to a shop, shoot the breeze with the counter people, smell the tobaccos, and most important, have it in hand right now, when I want it. That's worth the small difference in cost...plus, I have 4 shops nearby, one nice huge cigar place, a nice little 50/50 pipes and cigars, a decent mostly pipe (all Altadis blends only) shop, and a lovely one that is half tobacconist/half candy shop that's just started into pipe tobaccos, so I'm trying to help them along.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
there are at least 2 Tinderboxes in Columbus. The one in Dublin has a very nice selection of pipes and tobacco's. Also, a decent walk in humidor. The one at Easton has the usual bulk and some tins and some nice pipes. Heavier on the cigar side but a pipe smoker wouldn't come out empty handed. Not sure about Dublin but pipe and cigar smoking is allowed at Easton, multiple TV's and an Irish Pub next door that allows smoking on their patio next to the TB.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
If I get the chance someday to make the trip, I'll certainly stop in... just checked the google maps ETA on it and its 3 hrs and 30 min in optimal traffic conditions. I can't justify that trip for a few ounces of tobacco, but if I am out that way, totally. I just need to find a way to get it here, for a reasonable cost

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
It's awesome..but at the same time, horrible...because there's no chance of me making it...I'll be in OH too, even worse....I'll be in Cleveland for a facial hair competition... figures, two events I'd love to attend, same state, same day. Thanks for the heads up though dochudson.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Just got a lead on the Norse Gold, was told it might likely be Lane LTD's MV-1000...I am unfamiliar with this tobacco, however....has anyone had the MV-1000 AND the Norse Gold, who can confirm or refute?

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
My independent exists in another universe, with a pencil sign on the door explaining to stay out

if you don't like the smoke, with plank floors, and often as not, a group of guys sitting around spinning

yarns. It's a time machine. Next door to a bike shop and tattoo parlor. When the owner retires, we'll

never see 1954 again.

If I remember correctly mso, you are in the Raleigh, NC area and I know the place you are talking about. Worst part of graduating was moving away from that B&M.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
I couldn't figure out a way to edit the OP to fix the list, but here's the updated list, a few new problems solved. Hope this helps others along the way!
Tinderbox Name = Trade name/brand
Wilshire = Lane LTD 1-Q

North Sea = Peter Stokkebye #24 Nougat

Crown Royale = Peter Stokkebye Vanilla Creme

Sunset = Lane LTD HS-3

Chartwell = Lane LTD RLP-6

Sherlock's Choice = Lane LTD HGL

Midnight = Lane LTD BCA

Proper English = Peter Stokkebye PS52

Burley Light = Lane LTD Burley Light Without a Bite

Captain Spice = Peter Stokkebye Black Vanilla

Anniversary = Lane LTD Anniversary Blend

Norse Gold = (originally, until later 1990s) Lane MV-1000, (2000-current) Skandinavik Red with TinderBox exclusive licorice casing

Frangelico = Lane Hazelnut
Aalborg =

After Dinner =

Philosopher =

Rum Runner =

Status
Not open for further replies.