PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wts70mc

Lurker
Apr 24, 2012
Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to this site and fairly new to pipe smoking all together. This site is a wealth of information to anyone trying to figure out the ins and outs to pipe smoking.
I'm trying to decide which one is better.... keeping newly open tin tobacco in its tin or in a mason type jar with a clamp top (the kind with the metal clamp and rubber gasket on top). Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Specifically I'm talking about a tin of Dunhill 965. I realize with tins like the Solani silver flake (that have a loose closure)i need to keep them in a air tight jar. What I'm talking about are the common round jars similar to dunhill's 965.
Secondly, does it make a difference if its flake or loose tobacco?
Thanks in advance.
W

wts70mc

Lurker
Apr 24, 2012
Well...Thats a good question. I'm trying to find out what tobacco to go with so right now i have 3 different kinds. Those will probably last me 2 or 3 months if i stay on the same pace.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Don't worry about getting anything expensive. I just bought four more Ball jars tonight (the ones with the screw on lids). Cost me $5.00; luckily they were on sell for half off.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I suggest 2 weeks tops to a tin. Any longer jar it. The clamp tops are good if you get into it regularly but remember rubber will eventually dry rot and loose its seal. I use the screw on lids with a stick humidor, they last about 2 months before you have to refill them with distilled water.

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Just put the tins in a ziploc bag if it's only a couple for a couple months.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I keep all my tobacco in the original tins and it takes me months to use them, still perfectly fine with enough moisture. I put them inside ziplock bags as well, don't know if that helps.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well...Thats a good question. I'm trying to find out what tobacco to go with so right now i have 3 different kinds. Those will probably last me 2 or 3 months if i stay on the same pace.
I'm a 965 fan and like to keep my stash in their tins for six-12 months. I smoke this occasionally, so an open tin will last a month or so. I keep that open tin in a small, screw top mason jar.
I keep my regular smokes in "Libbey" glass decanters from Micheals. They are usually on sale for $3 each and come in small (2 oz), med (4 oz) and large (6 oz) sizes. The small size is great for one tin at a time. They have a rubber seal, but after a few months would let the tobacco get dry (I like my tobacco somewhat crispy).
http://www.peachsuite.com/608-71851/libbey-glass-storage-jar-15oz-71851?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=shopzilla
18-2948-Product_Primary_Image-320X320.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.