PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Hello,
In tinned tobacco's there is a cool accordian style liner paper inner wrapper which allows one to open it up wnd fill your pipe without making a mess. It is a really great idea. My question is this.... I have some tobacco in jars and would like to apply this same idea in filling my pipes. Open the jar unfurl the accordian paper wrapper, fill my pipe, and then re-fold the paper back into the jar. I use the 1oz canning wide mouth jars. Has anyone tried to apply this addition to their storage and filling routines?
And are there places where one can purchase this paper already pre folded or the special paper itself? Just love the idea.....
Thanks in advance!

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
I thought this would be the norm. Not filling directly from the tin.... So what method do you use? Sprinkle some tobacco on a piece of paper then fill yer pipe?
Just wondering what everyone else does.... Still like the accordion paper idea though.....

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Cool idea, i make a mess when i fill from a jar usually. I generallt just grab some and put on paper towel and fill over paper towel and dump rest back into jar

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
So what method do you use? Sprinkle some tobacco on a piece of paper then fill yer pipe?
You nailed it! I liked to let it dry for a little bit before I load a bowl.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Never thought of this. Maybe a paper coffee filter in the smaller jars. I might have to try it. BTW I do fill my pipe directly from the tin when I have one. Most of my stuff is bulk that I've transferred to the short wide-mouthed jars.

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Never thought of this. Maybe a paper coffee filter in the smaller jars. I might have to try it. BTW I do fill my pipe directly from the tin when I have one. Most of my stuff is bulk that I've transferred to the short wide-mouthed jars.
That's a fabulous idea cmkiefer! Never thought of a coffee filter. This just may be the ticket. I will have to see what size I can get that would suit my needs. Man why didn't I think of that!
Glad I asked and joined up on the forum....

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
For a smaller size paper (waxed) baking cup, like for cupcakes .
Put a 1/2 oz or so in each, fold over and place in jar (approximate size) repeat until jar is full, then all you would have to do is pull one out open it up for a min. or two, filler up and go.
Just a thought !
Tom

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I use a saucer from a tea set my Dad brought from Japan many-many moons ago.

I've been using the same saucer since around 1982.

this is an old photo but it is in the lower right corner with the repeated leaf pattern.
MySmokinHole502.jpg

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Whatever paper product you put in there will eventually absorb some of the moisture from the tobacco so you want to be careful there.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
I use one of those roll your own trays.. Pull from the tin or jar, pack over the tray, and dump the spills back..

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have always used a paper towel or napkin. I place enough on the PT for a bowl full and let it dry satisfactorily. After the pipe is loaded, I bend the PT in half and funnel the leftover tobacco back into the tin or jar. I think the coffee filter or the cupcake liner is a great idea. I wish I hadn't discarded all of my coffee filters when I bought my coffee press! :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.