PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have read multiple posts but cannot find them nor do I remember if there was a consensus to this question :
For newer "tins" of C&D, SPC, and GLP, are the unopened cans OK for cellar storage? I think I remember reading the new cans are fine but the older cans leak like a sieve.
Thanks.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Others will know more than I, but the tins you are describing will do fine. They will bulge as they age, this is good!

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
In my experience some of the older tins can be less than reliable. I recently decided to trade away some of the GLP Syrian blends I have (I discovered I don't dig Syria anymoren) and after a close visual inspection combined with weighing on a digital scale....most tins appear to be OK. Out of 16...I had three or four with weights outside of the comfort zone, one of which had a pin prick hole. Ill likely keep those questionable ones. I did a trade with one of the remainder and the other guy reports his Ravens wing was aged and good. Bottom line, I have many many aged pease (the small / tall ones) and c&d tins and most are ok...but some have failed. I've not yet lost a McClelland...and I have some pretty old tins.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not the expert here. Generally, I think round tins made of metal that stay sealed and stored in moderate humidity (indoors in living spaces) usually keeps for ten years or more without rusting through or the seal breaking or otherwise leaking. Most trust square tins made of metal too, but structurally they aren't quite as sturdy, FYI. So-called tins with cardboard walls are not as good for aging and might better be jarred if you expect to keep them for years. Handling has something to do with leaking. Extreme temperatures and temperature changes and rough handling in shipping, or unpadded shipping, might dent the tin and/or crack the seal. So size up a tin and make your decision. Some undamaged metal tins have been known to leak, but it is unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.