PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I was between a rock and a hard place so I decided to go to a local tobacco shop and buy some "cheap" costing tobacco to tide me over until my shipment came. I'm not a big fan of Captain Black so I picked up some Tin Star Gold. Fist of all, I should have known that this was crap seeing how it was buy one get one free already prepacked. I still took a chance because I try not to judge a book by it's cover, plus I like to take risks.
I get home and open the package and the tobacco was a dry as my skin if I forget to hit it with some oil after I shower. . .LOL! :rofl: If I can recall there wasn't any type of aroma at all and the look of the tobacco seemed like it was old leaves that was rubbed out and put in the pouch. When I packed it and lit it in my cob it tasted like I was smoking cigarette ash from an ashtray. It made my tongue throb and it sat in my throat making it feel scratchy. No taste, no personality and no flavor what so ever. It burns so fast that after two or three draws it was at the end of the bowl. Which that was a good thing seeing how horrible it tasted. The next day I tried a second bowl to see if I was being too judgmental, but I relived my horror all over again. 8O The only good thing I can say about this tobacco is that it had a nice resealable pouch to keep it from spilling out. Not going to say "keep it fresh" because that would be an understatement.
I have learned my lesson that you really do get what you pay for. Call me a snob, but I just can't do any OTC brands. Until next time. . .Happy Smoking my Family! :puffy:

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
If my research proves correct, that Tin Star Gold is one of those cigarette tobaccos they pack and label as pipe tobacco. Perhaps they intend it to be a dual use pipe/cig tobacco but as you quickly found out... probably one best avoided.
I suggest just grabbing a small pack of Prince Albert. You can usually find it darn near anywhere and it's actually not a bad smoke at all for an OTC blend.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Your welcome txbeerboy! My pleasure. Just doing my part for the community. :wink:

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Cool 858!
I can believe that about the tobacco. The taste is unreal. I wouldn't be surprised if it is true. :roll:
I have always seen PA, but was leery of that as well. However, I do love Carter Hall. Just smoked some of that a couple of hours ago.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Haha, I actually saw this stuff on sale on P&C the other day and was intrigued by now downright evil it looked, but couldn't find much about it online. Nice bit of serendipity there. Bless you eazye77!

sunka666

Lurker
Jun 26, 2016
I roll my own cigarettes. I am broke so I tried the gold label at 2 for 1 and I found it to be plenty moist and the flavor fine. For the price for roll your own I will buy it again. I don't think this tobacco is necessarily meant for pipes the flavor is not what I would expect for a pipe smoker, but for a good cheap alternative for roll your own it is good for the price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister wanted to send me tobacco for a gift and found a bag of 4 Aces. The she went somewhere else and found a tin of a good blend and sent me both. I opened the 4 Aces (Regular) and expected it to be fairly cheesy. Instead, though not Fire Storm, or even PS Luxury Navy Flake, it was a sturdy Virginia, plain but honest, certainly meant as a RYO, but a fair Va for a pipe. So I'm not completely antagonistic toward bag tobacco. This 4 Aces Regular blends nicely with other leaf to make a good home mix. I know other brands are not so good.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Smokers Pride Rich Taste and Mellow Taste while meant as RYO are smoked by a few on the boards in their pipes. Probably the best of these RYO "pipe tobaccos".

Status
Not open for further replies.