PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I must thank bowhatchie for sending me this tin of Penzance. I have looked long and hard for a tin of this and lucky for me bowhatchie didn't quite like the tin he had just opened! It was a match made in tobacco heaven! So I have to show off the tin!
IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

This will be my first bowl!!!!
Thank you so much Bowhatchie!

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Congrats! Just out of curiosity does anyone have an empty tin? ill buy it off you if you have a spare. =D
I want to show my tobacconist to see if they can get some. Half the people that work there are pure cigar smokers and don't know a thing about pipes. Took them 2 weeks to figure out that their bulk Pilmico tobacco was the same as 1Q @_@

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well I am on my second bowl as I type this and I must say.... I am super impressed!! It is a super cool smoke (in my Peterson System Pipe) and I get the "leathery" taste everyone always talks about. but I am getting kind of a fruity taste at the beginning of every puff also. It is excellent english in my limited experience with english blends! I am kind of a wimp when it comes to the Big N and it hits but not very hard. All in all I would love to add a few pound of this to my cellar but since it is hard to find and the price can be astronomical, I might just have to dream of owning some more Penzance!

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Nice. Not sure it would be my thing, but it's always awesome to hear when somebody finds something new they like. Just so long as we don't have to read a thousand posts from Bubba now complaining how other tobaccos aren't Penzance... :D
Simon

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Lmao was curious about the reviews and the specifics of Penzance so I looked it up, this has got to be the best review I've read yet XD
FunkyD in the Morning 02/11/2011

Well, I've read a whole lot about this blend on tobacco internet forums across the cyberspace. The consensus seemed to be that Penzance was an amazing blend that no one would ever copy and that its so great and "oh i have 5 lbs. cellared and you don't LOL". Although I generally do not give in to this sort of bragging/teasing (I always give in), I became obsessed with getting my gritty little fingernails on a tin/pounch/mound/bowl/lick the residue out of an old estate of penzance.
Every store I visited, and every "online store" I clicked on seemed to be fresh out of stuff. It was no where to be found, but EVERYONE was saying how great it was. "Oh you know this tobacco is good....BUT NOT AS GOOD AS PENZANCE!! SILLY MORTALS AND YOUR NON-PENZANCE TOBACCOS AH HA HA!"
Feeling like Charlie from that willy wonka story, I grew depressed as I yearned for the tobacco, all the while I performed a musical number as i stared into the moon. I wanted to be just as cool as the 60-year old guy sitting in his underwear hiding in his closet from his beast-of-a-wife and posting on the internet bragging about his non-existent scrooge McDuck supply of Penzance.
So I waited for my chance, and nearly forgot about penzance. Until that faithful day.
I was browsing Craigslist for the usual stuff. Free dirt, old furniture being sold at full price, and anonymous sex, when I came across a most interesting Ad. It read "PENZANCE? I GOT YOUR FIX." I became excited and quickly replied to the ad demanding that I be sold/given penzance immediately and that I would do anything for the chance.
He said that what he had was very rare and that it would cost me a ton of money. I said I didn't care, and I knew about the rarity of penzance. We set up a drop point in the city. He would drive by in a orange and yellow VW "NEW" beetle, and he would throw the penzance out the car, I was to wear a red balloon for identification. At the same time, I was to use my smartphone to hand over the cash via paypal to his online account, as he checked for updates. He said that if his account wasn't updated by the time he reached 8th street, he'd hunt my down and drag me out to a forest. So I agreed.
The next day I took an early lunch from work and waited in the "spot" with a red balloon in hand. 5 minutes had passed and I began to sweat in the hot sun. I knew this was a bad idea, no tobacco is worth this effort. But then he came, and I saw his fruity bug vroom on down the street. He threw out what looked like a pretty large package for tobacco and I became as giddy as a little schoolgirl. He held his hand out of his bug and gave me this little wave that really threw me off. Whatever...I knew what I had to do, I didn't want to get dragged off into the woods, I hate camping. So I forked over the $200 on my phone and ran over to the package to open it up. IT was quite large and rather heavy! Take that old creepy coward liar!
This is where the fun stopped however. I opened the package and my heart sank into my lower back. Inside was a copy of the script, music sheets, and autographed picture for the cast of "Pirates of Penzance". It began to rain, and I fell to my knees and cried. That creepy old man on the internet had won, look at what he did to me. Why would I go through all of this for some stupid tobacco? Is my life really that empty that I must give into the hype of some stuff that apparently smells like old bum?
My life changed that day, and I no longer felt the need to have the best, seal away the most, smoke the best or be the "best". I became me.
A couple of months after that, my cousin came over to my house with a tin of penzance. I showed restraint, and did not get overly excited. We smoked it all night long.
It was ok.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
It is delicious! I am going to be sad when I finish this tin (which will probably be soon), but I am thinking I might take 4-6 flakes and let it age for a little while.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I have some that was gifted to me and my first impression was that I did not like it. If I smoke a few more bowls and still don't care for it I wouldn't mind sending it your way. I believe it has quite a few years on it and has the sugar crystals. Hopefully it was just the pipe or my packing method that made it unpleasant though.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
4noggins has a consignment tin for $50ish, I might just have to suck up the cost and get it.
That's just a rediculous price for a tin that sells for 11.50 or so. You would be better off just getting a list together of retailers all over the place and calling them once a week as I do. They have been getting occasional batches in and you just have to call around.

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
This just arrived at the Briar Shoppe here in Houston. (Well, technically it's no longer at the Briar Shoppe.)
jibandpenzance.jpg

As you can see, "Jib" rather enjoys it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.