PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have read a great deal in discussions herein about how to keep one's open tins from drying out. I've also of course have read a lot of recommendations on how to handle the problem but I can't recall anyone talking about what I've come up with although many probably have. I bought a couple of cheap Rubbermaid containers with snap on lids that are about 9x14x3 inches. Into these I put about fifteen tins of what I have open. The container lids do not seal well and would ordinarily not much delay tins from drying out so I put into each container a couple of inexpensive hockey puck humidifiers I got from P&C.
Despite the lids not sealing all that well it's been six months now and there are still some tins in there which I have not finished in that time but they have not dried out, at all, and in fact some have rehydrated from their previously too dry state. All I've done is refilled the pucks with water every week or so. The arrangement has proven entirely satisfactory. Even small samples in baggies, which tend to dry out quickly, have benefited from the setup. Total cost is under ten bucks and I flat do not have to worry any more about open tins drying out. I have also not noticed any cross fertilization of taste or aroma among the different blends, probably because the non-sealing lids allow for a little air exchange. I suspect that this setup would not work as well with aros but I don't smoke them so I haven't been able to try that out. If one does smoke aros then a separate container for them would be a must.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Dar
If I recall correctly, Harris, cigrmaster, has all of his open tins and bulk enclosed in those type of plastic large containers and it has worked out quite well for him over the years.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I was pretty sure that many have thought of it before. I use the big Rubbermaid tubs for bulk and unopened tin storage myself but the smaller clear ones are far easier to keep close to hand. Between open tins and sample bags I have about twenty blends in two compact containers ready to smoke at a moment's notice regardless of how long they've been in there. That's way more than enough for me.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
My solution for open tins involves one of two options.
First is a piece of wax paper placed between the tin and the lid. This can keep a tin in smokeable condition for quite some time. Very inexpensive.
Oxo good grip storage containers. Available on line or I buy them at Bed Bath & beyond. A large number of sizes that can hold the contents of a tin or even multiple open tins with ease.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.