PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

holysmoker

Lurker
Jun 25, 2014
I used to smoke cigarettes one in less then a minute and a cigar that can last someone very long in 30 or 35 minutes also when it comes now to pipe (since i just quite cigarettes ) in a mm maple country gentleman that someone said he can n get over a two hour smoke from goes for me really fast what is my mistake here?
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Maybe if he let it go out and picked it up every half hour! How long does it take for you to finish a bowl, what type of tobacco do you smoke?

holysmoker

Lurker
Jun 25, 2014
Freight train whiteknight and black house from hearth and home c ountry gentleman from mm Sherlock holmes prince albert old companion and some others but it takes less then 15 for a bowl

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
The type of tobacco, it's moisture level, your packing technique, your smoking candice as well as other factors all contribute to your smoke. I couldn't pick out exactly what would need to be changed or tweeted with the info provided but reviewing the site and asking questions is the best way to improve.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
holysmoker, I think you are still in the process of weaning yourself as a cigarette smoker. Pipe smoking is a much

more gradual cadenced activity. Best to take a longer time between puffs, and best not to inhale/run it through your

nasal passages, etc. (No law against it, but it's not the tradition with pipes really.) I think you may need to dry your

tobacco for a day or two ( a bowl's worth in a ceramic dish or something like that) so you aren't puffing hard to keep

wet tobacco going. Pack it a little firmer, but not so tight as to impede the draw. I hesitate to recommend flake tobacco

for a new pipe smoker, but when you get to it, it slows down a bowl of tobacco nicely, if it's rubbed and packed right.

But first of all, it's your pace. Slow down, relax, think gradual, and you'll get more out of a bowl, time and taste.

holysmoker

Lurker
Jun 25, 2014
Well,when will i change from smoking a pipe like a cigarette to smoking it like a pipe, and does nasel inhalation slow that down?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Wow, sucking down a cig in less than a minute??? That's some fast smoking. Do you find smoking your pipe, it tends to give you some tongue bite?
Smoking a pipe is a very ritualistic sort of process, I would say if you rush it you wont get the most out of it. You want a quick smoke? Smoke a cig. Wait till you have some time to sit and smoke your pipe to devote time to it. Then I think you'll find your bowls last a bit longer.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm not saying that my pipe smoking practices are better or worse than anyone else or that there's a required amount of time any given bowl size should last but I can say that with a pipe like a MM that across the board has a smallish bowl capacity, I get better than an hour of good smoking from one. I do clench and tend to just slowly sip on all of my pipes. Certain tobaccos do burn faster than others and moisture content will influence burn time to. An example is that I loaded a MM egg with Dunhill EMP at approximately 6am this morning. Ran my dogs as I walked and smoked and it's now 7:40am and I'm just getting into the last of it. Now I did set the pipe down a couple times but you get the picture. Slow and steady wins the race with pipe smoking.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Maybe you have a small pipe? As long as its not getting hot and you aren't burning your tounge who cares? If it bothers you just slow down or get a bigger pipe. Also flakes last longer.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
By the way my decent sized pipes last about 45 minutes to an hour and a half for flakes.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I think the problem is that your computer has no punctuation keys, causing you to race through your sentences in the same way that you race through your pipes. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.