Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Time to take weight loss seriously

(53 posts)
  1. twiggy

twiggy

Login to Send PM

I don't weigh myself often, but I did last night, the scale read 298LBS!

last time I weighed myself, I weighed 282LBS, so I did gain since last for sure.

I've decided I seriously need to make some life style changes.

The main issue with me is over eating, and the types of food I often eat.

I often eat the equivalent of 4 or 5 meals a day, and most of that is junk food, either microwave junk food, fast food, or chips and chocolate bars, etc, drink a lot of pop.

I've decided that I'm going to 1:

- Cut down to a normal breakfast, lunch, dinner, and desert, and only light snacking, on healthier snack options.

- Limit sodas, drink no more than the 1 mug of coffee I drink with breakfast, replace sodas with sparkling/lemon water.

- start exercising regularly, a few times a week. Luckily, my folks and I do have an exercise bike at home, I live in the middle of nowhere, so I can go on nice country bicycle trips on my real bike as well, and there's a gym near me that I can go to as well.

Seeing as my main issue was massively overeating, eating lots of bad stuff, and never exercising, I think eating like a normal person, and exercising should make a big difference, also making healthier choices helps as well.

My eventual goal is to get down to 250LBS as my doctor said that that's an acceptable weight for my height and build. I'm going to give 5 months for that, meaning I need to loose 10lbs a month, which I think is reasonable.

My short term is to get down to 275LBS, in a couple months and a bit.

Of course, when I get down to 250, I'll just have to make sure I don't revert to my old habits, so I can maintain it.

"If having your own opinion makes you evil, then I'm evil" - Marilyn Manson
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good on ya’.
    Reasonable goals, including exercise.

Helpful hint: Don’t get upset when you go off the plan momentarily. It’s going to happen. Just get back on the horse, tomorrow is another day.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck! Stick with it, I am sure you'll feel a lot better. I've lost weight in the past, but gained most of it back, and am pushing 3 bills myself. Actually have an appointment with my doctor to see what Kaiser (my medical provider here in CA) has available. I usually do better on highly structured regiments than anything where I have a choice

And remember, nicotine is a natural appetite suppressant.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Good call. I could use some fine tuning myself.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I lost 108 lbs in 2010, for me the key was portion control, limiting caloric intake, limiting alcoholic beverages to 1 per day, and regular, but realistic exercise routines, and in my case NO CHEATING on any of the above except on major holidays (and moose season).

Keeping it off was also a challenge. I've got to get back on the program myself here soon. In the last few years Grad school, a new career, my wife's pregnancy, and having a newborn have set me back a bit, hahaha. Back on the plan as of a week ago.

Good luck with yours! It is possible. At first it sucks ass, but after that it just becomes a necessary part of the routine.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good call. I have just recently made similar changes to my life as well. All my life I go through healthy cycles and not so healthy cycles. The healthy cycles are usually much shorter than the unhealthy ones. I go about a year of healthy eating and a strict regimen of exercise and then I start slipping. You really need to be determined before you make these lifestyle changes and I’ve spent the last 6 months trying to get my head in the game, I have been eating really healthy for a few months now but I just started hitting the gym a little over a week ago now. The first two weeks are the hardest for me, after that I start really looking forward to my gym sessions and of course I enjoy feeling healthy. I’m 6”5, 240lbs. I’d like to lose my man-boobs and my belly and replace the fat loss with more muscle so my target weight will be about 225 lbs.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

Good luck! For me personally laying off sugar altogether has been the hardest.

Pierre
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

Good luck with your journey.

Have you considered intermittent fasting?
    This is a common way to lose weight effectively without over burdening yourself with a super strict diet. It's more emphasis on when you eat as opposed to what you eat, of course eating healthier always has increased results.

Try getting some exercise in even if it's a short walk around the block.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck! Don't do anything extreme. You'll only grow tired of it and revert to your old ways. Subtle lifestyle changes that can be maintained for several years while still being able to enjoy life is the way to go.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

3 year ago I was about 270lbs (6’ tall) with blood pressure skyrocketing. Now I’m still around 240lbs, but I just went jogging (fast hobbling) for 16 Kilometers this evening.
    (My legs feel like jelly but no sharp pain so everything should be good. There will be an intensive recovery program over the next 48 hours including lots of sleep, eating and swimming/cycling to keep the blood moving. No I don’t recommend running at this weight but it hasn’t killed me yet.)

Yes cycling is a good start, last year I spent 5-10 hours a week on the bike. Great cardio, good foundation for future activities.
    The schedule for this summer has been jogging around 50% farther every two weeks (that is jogging once every two weeks, a long recovery time but results have been promising). Having previously done a maximum of about 50 meters on a given day over the last 10 years I’m 99% certain that I would not have been able to pull off current activities without the rigorous cardio training from last year.

Cut the carbs and silly stuff, buy a bunch of clothes to get really sweaty, and maybe most importantly make time for exercise, and you’ll be amazed at what you can do.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have weighted myself this Sunday, 94 kg is a bit much. I am on a diet as of Sunday, trying to stay in the boundaries of 1800 kcals a day, and a 55-25-20 carbs/fat/protein ratio. I feel hungry most of the times but I am trying to suppress it. Weekends are hard, since I usually cheat with beer. While I keep my food intake as low as I can - no hunger strike though, on this heat it's impossible to stay away from beer. Keep up the good work, man, and as woodsroad if you happen to fall down, get back on track asap.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 month ago #
  12. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck and good on you for changing the direction of your life. Your story and goals sound similar to that of a friend of mine. Very small changes can really add up, and when you see the changes it motivates you even more.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. twiggy

twiggy

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone,

and no need to worry, I'm not going extreme, as I said, I am limiting junk foods and sodas, not cutting them out entirely.

It's not really junk food, but I will be having a glass of orange juice with breakfast, and a can of soda with lunch, but after that, just water, instead of 6+ cans, or a 2L bottle like I would have before, I don't even want to know how many liters I must've drank a week previously.

You don't want to know the amount of really unhealthy foods I ate previously, words do not exist to describe it.

So while making healthier choices helps, it's like the "side" of my plan, "the meat and potatos" is just no longer eating excessively, and exercising.

Posted 1 month ago #
  14. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell I don't drink sodas, I watch my intake at breakfast and rarely eat lunch. And have a sensible dinner. I am active all day and I still cannot lose . I have some back issues that limits more physically demanding activities. Its very frustrating.
    I wish I knew the secret. I don't even snack after 7pm. Since I am alone now, I rarely have food in the house.

Jason
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

twiggy, I lost 80 lbs 6-7 years ago. I'm 5'10" and went from 254 lbs to 174 lbs in 10 months. I did it using "My Fitness Pal". I logged all food and all exercise. Cutting back on sweets, riding my bike and walking everyday is what helped me do it.

When I got down to 174 I was obsessed with losing weight and my wife didn't like the way I looked (sickly). My neighbor whom I seldom speak to asked if I was going thru some medical issues due to the weight loss. I eased up on "challenge" of losing weight and for the past few years I have been maintaining in the 190's. I like the way I feel and the way I look when I'm 190-195.

The weight loss and exercise got me off my diabetes (Metformin) and cholesterol medicines. My feet and knees no longer hurt and it is so much easier buying clothes.

I wish you the best of luck. You can do it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Work with your doctor if you plan on loosing 10 lbs. a month for 5 months. I developed Type II after an auto accident messed up my back and limited the physical activity I used to enjoy. (That and I had been retired from the military for four years) I'm 5'9" and my weight got up to 260 lbs. When I had to start loosing weight, I was told the recommendation was 1 lb. a week but to expect the weight to come off faster than that at first. I did it mostly by completely cutting out sugary drinks (don't switch to diet drinks either because they can be worse for you.)and cutting way back on the amount of beer and alcohol I drink. I also started cutting back on starches like rice, potatoes and pasta. I cut back. I didn't completely eliminate them.

I still have a beer every now and then but it's a good craft beer. I still like my whiskey, rum, etc. but instead of buying the cheap stuff and having three or four drinks a day, I buy the better quality, higher cost booze and limit myself to one a day. I'm actually saving money on booze and spending it on tobacco.

Long story short, by following my doctors advice and reducing things that are bad for me, I'm now under 200 lbs. I even weigh less than when I retired from the service.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  17. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you can actually get rid of the sodas and most of the junk calories, you're 80% of the way there. The rest is dependent on exercise. Well done.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got some fairly serious challenges due to my shoddy colon. I no longer eat red meat, drink any soda, alcohol, nor eat 'much' processed food.

Exercise is limited lately to lunting for 5 or 6 bowls a day.

Several yrs back, my microwave oven crapped out and I decided not to replace it. That helps keep me from those quickie con-agra entrees and the like.

I try to limit my sugar intake, which is one of my weakest links.

It's incredible how difficult it can be to eat healthy fresh, pesticide free fruits and vegetables, but, I try.

I still enjoy what I do eat, and I cook for myself. When you read the labels and find out what those numbers are based on, you should adjust accordingly. I love dark chocolate, for instance, but I only eat the three or four pieces comprising a 'serving' when I do. Likewise I do the same with any of the cheater treats I allow myself.

Eliminating that late night snack and eating in general should end within digestive times, imho. 2 or 3 hrs before you sleep, you don't eat. Supposedly that is moar healthy, and lends to a more restorative sleep.

If you want a snack, popcorn can be good.

So, portion, salt, sugar, fat, carbs, red meat. If you are always hungry now, the switch to fruits and vegetables can help your brain accept the change via natural sugars and fiber.

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. taildraggin

taildraggin

Login to Send PM

A close friend went "keto" and lost a ton fast. He swears and still lives by it. He does run to keep metabolism going, too.

It seems pretty harsh to me, but he's done it for 2 years now and is as fit (55) as we were when kids. Good luck, any way you do it. it will change your life.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm 6,3'' and am around 80kg,been told I should eat more,I rarely eat more than one'hot' meal a day nontheless my weakness is sugary pastries which enjoy moderately though,and lots of tea drinkin',daily.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

All great advice. My extra $0.02: find a physical activity you really enjoy and it won't be exercise. For me it's walking with coworkers at lunch (about 5 miles in 1.25 hours), and last year I installed a wood burning fireplace insert, so I'm splitting wood at the house regularly too.

Growing up on a small farm I became accustomed to home grown fruit and vegetables from a young age, and we never had sodas or junk food so those weren't weaknesses. Portion control, regular routine, and too much "road food" when working out of town the last few years took a toll.

Posted 1 month ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good for you, twiggy. Be real patient with yourself and as someone said, if you lapse here and there, get back to it and keep on. I'm always surprised when I'm outside the U.S. at how trim people are, so I think we have a culture where diet and inactivity are woven into our lives and we barely think about it. The automobile culture has almost forbidden walking, and pedestrians are continually on the defensive, even in the countryside. Europeans don't think about dieting so much, but they walk and some aren't attached to processed and fast food. twiggy, I'm taken with the irony of your user name!

Posted 1 month ago #
  23. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

I'm back to old training habits since a month ago and I absolutely love it.
    Gym and long countryside walks, and always by myself.
    I'm sort of a loner and like to focus _only_ on the training when I train.
    No chit-chat, please.

For others it might be completely different; they prefer company when training and choose team sports.
    How and why we train varies a lot but there is exercise forms for everyone.

Maybe I'll start with some martial arts as well since I find that interesting but at
    the moment I'm in a more basic training routine to get my body back to shape.

Eating healthy is quite easy when it becomes habit.
    I've made a rule for myself: simply don't shop junk food or anything unhealthy.
    Once or twice a month I allow myself to eat whatever I want but not more often than that.

twiggy,
    It's great that you're starting a more healthy life style!
    As others said, don't be too hard on yourself in the beginning.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ Mso489, I believe You are correct again, especially when we're looking at those who live in the south EU region, Italy, Spain and Greece

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I confess I've never had to lose weight, so I can't speak from that perspective, but I follow a pretty disciplined diet and exercise routine, and my golden rule is this: don't start anything you can't imagine yourself doing forever.

What I mean is, don't do a crazy intense diet to start your weight loss with a boost. Don't commit to running seven days a week now if you don't want to be doing that ten years from now. Making incremental changes that can be sustained over the rest of your life is the key to maintaining weight and fitness over your lifecycle.

I've known a lot of people who say things like "I'm going to be vegan for 30 days to get these last pesky 10 pounds off" or something similar. And being vegan for 30 days will probably accomplish that. But as soon as you go back to your old routine, the weight comes back on.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 month ago #
  26. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some back issues that limits more physically demanding activities.

I have lower back problems myself ... the doc recommends swimming, which I keep up with twice a week when I can. It makes me feel great in as far as my back, and tonus, but the weight loosing problem cannot be solved unless you watch your diet.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always been a skinny kid and adult, but since mid-life, I've had some belly fat. So did my dad, though he was more successful as an athlete than I. Until I was in my thirties, I couldn't gain any needed weight. I was actually a gym rat and runner for a while. I thought Thanksgiving would do it, along with three substantial meals a day nearly always. But I didn't gain a pound. I guess I was hyperkinetic, and in those days, burning a lot of energy in my brain ... to not much avail. I hesitate to admit how much I weighed when I got out of the Navy, at about 5'11". You'd thought I'd been starved. The Navy had good food, which I nearly always enjoyed. Go figure. I did walk a huge amount, didn't own a car until I was 27, which in my generation was a rarity. So, twiggy, I can empathize, if from the "other end of the telescope."

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lost 30lbs through portion control, increased water in take, and doing 2 walks for 20 minutes a day plus playing ice hockey 4 times a week.

For me the hardest part was the portion control. Took forever to down size the meals and feel full. Now it’s pretty common for me to go out to a bar cut the burger in half eat that and half the fries then take the rest home for lunch the next day.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 month ago #
  29. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I lose weight sitting on the couch. I've never seen 125 pounds and likely never will. My daily calorie intake minimum has to be 4000 just to stay where I'm at and drink a 24 pack of sodas per day to bolster the caloric intake. The opposite end of the weight spectrum sucks too.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 1 month ago #
  30. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I agree with what many have said above - stopping sodas is so essential. Let's get you off soda and Marilyn Manson and turn this life around!

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Marilyn Manson

Some of my favorite music come from Manson and Reznor.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Keto worked (works) for me. I went from 240 to 170 in about a year’s time. I have been on “maintenance” for about 6 months and gained back a comfortable 10 lbs. Discipline and sugar reduction are the keys to any successful diet. Added exercise will speed your results but, it can be done with limited additional activity.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 1 month ago #
  33. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't believe how genuinely addictive I've found soda to be. I can smoke two or three cigarettes in a day, and then not notice or care if I don't smoke for another week. But the soda just tugs at my brain. I spent 14 years working in restaurants in one capacity or another, and so had free fountain soda all the time. Coupled with the high stress of fast-paced kitchen work, it's a recipe for dependency. I can't keep weight on regardless, but I'm very aware of what it's doing to my blood-sugar, bones, teeth, etc. Good luck to you!

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 1 month ago #
  34. alsatmem

alsatmem

Login to Send PM

I was at 196 pounds at 5 ft 6. Was drinking about a half gallon of sweet tea, either from Sonic or home brewed,over the course of my 10 1/2 hour work day and 5 hours at home. Hated the way I felt and looked. Convinced myself that unsweetened tea is okay 6 weeks ago and am down to 171 pounds. No other changes were made. My goal is to get down to about 160, my long ago fighting weight. That career will never revive thanks to arthritis, but I feel good around that weight. Sometimes it can be a simple single thing, but in excess, that can be monumental. I also have been able to drop blood pressure and cholesterol meds. So stay smart and some easy lifestyle changes can pay off huge! Best of luck to you!!

Posted 1 month ago #
  35. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am on Keto, fell down the wagon a lot. Still doing it, losing weight feels great.

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  36. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All great advice. My extra $0.02: find a physical activity you really enjoy and it won't be exercise

Great advice, and something I struggle with.

All my life I go through healthy cycles and not so healthy cycles. The healthy cycles are usually much shorter than the unhealthy ones.

Ain't that the truth. About 3.5 years ago, I quit drinking and drugs. Food has been a challenge, though. I just love food, and get pleasure in it, and that's a problem. Like I've switched my booze calories to ice cream, lol.

Posted 1 month ago #
  37. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think auger is most addictive. The only diet I do is not to drink soda and watch deserts. I have recently started exercising and I walk (mostly) jog (a little) 3.7 miles in an hour, 3 times a week. My weight is mostly unchanged though ( lost 4 lb) but I look a little different.

I average eating 2400 calories a day and other than sugar/desert, don’t watch what I eat. I like oily/greasy food and that’s what I mostly eat. I run a calorie deficit of 200/300 calories a day on average.

Posted 1 month ago #
  38. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keto's the way to go, imo. Or at least low carb.

True Keto is difficult, because you're supposed to keep the daily carbs down around 20g...which is not easy.

But carbs are really the whole problem for most people. The average diet is loaded with them.

I can't say I'm doing true Keto, but my carb intake is a fraction of what it used to be and it's the only way I've been able to lose weight.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 month ago #
  39. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I lost close on 100lbs a few years back and I've managed to keep it off. I started off with a keto diet but after a few months hated it and switched to a practically vegan diet, which by it's very nature is high carb. I noticed no difference in weight loss.

Don't complicate dieting all you need to do is eat less calories than you need and you'll loose weight, it really is that simple. The trick is to do it day after day, something which is made easy by following a diet that is sustainable.

Posted 1 month ago #
  40. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lost close on 100lbs a few years back and I've managed to keep it off. I started off with a keto diet but after a few months hated it and switched to a practically vegan diet, which by it's very nature is high carb. I noticed no difference in weight loss.

Don't complicate dieting all you need to do is eat less calories than you need and you'll loose weight, it really is that simple. The trick is to do it day after day, something which is made easy by following a diet that is sustainable.

One size fits all doesn't work with dieting. Everyone is different...different metabolisms. It also changes dramatically as one gets older. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted in almost any quantity without gaining much weight, but those days are long gone.

Just counting calories doesn't work well for me. The type of calories definitely matters (for me at least). When I eat carbs in any quantity it just makes me crave more. I enjoy "Keto" or low carb because I can eat enough to feel satisfied and still keep the weight down without the bloating and weighted down feeling I get from carbs.

Posted 1 month ago #
  41. shayde

shayde

Login to Send PM

I only eat one meal a day and have since I was in high school. It’s essentially a form of intermittent fasting, but at this point it’s more of a life choice. The biggest issue with diets is that almost everyone regains the weight after they are finished with their diets. The only real way to lose it and keep it off is a lifestyle change. One meal a day is by far the easiest for me to stick with. Anytime I get hungry I just use some form of tobacco or drink black coffee. That one meal you can pretty much eat whatever it is that you want, to me, is worth not eating all day.

Would I rather have:
    egg white breakfast with turkey bacon for breakfast
    Chicken breast salad for lunch
    And like salmon broccoli and rice for dinner

Or would I rather:
    Just wait and smash a pizza, steak and shrimp, ice cream, hamburgers brats hotdogs, etc

"I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new." -Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 month ago #
  42. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian I can testify to the efficacy of low-carb. In fact I've been zero-carb for six months. I'm down 50, BP is dead normal. Blood glucose is in the range of 85 and very steady. Psoriasis gone. Esophogeal ulcer and GERD gone. Even my vision's improved. I am on no meds, prescription or otherwise. I'm 71.

Viewing with alarm since 1948.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  43. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lost 120 pounds in seven months in 2012. I went from 330 to 208. I've gained back most of it back since and am back to almost 300 pounds. The good news is that I'm 6'4 so I can kind of carry it, and gaining it back has not been a mental or physical pleasure. It really comes down to eating less and exercising. It's not rocket science.

Posted 1 month ago #
  44. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian I can testify to the efficacy of low-carb. In fact I've been zero-carb for six months. I'm down 50, BP is dead normal. Blood glucose is in the range of 85 and very steady. Psoriasis gone. Esophogeal ulcer and GERD gone. Even my vision's improved. I am on no meds, prescription or otherwise. I'm 71.

Good for you...that's great to hear. And it makes perfect sense to me.

I think another factor for many people is that a lot of their carb intake is typically coming from processed foods, which also usually contain any number of other toxic ingredients. So by drastically cutting carbs a lot of people are also cutting out other stuff that is very likely contributing to ailments they may have.

Posted 1 month ago #
  45. darwin

darwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brian it's true that cutting out the processed crap yields big benefits but the supposedly "good" carbs, whole grains, legumes, fruits, etc., aren't any better in terms of metabolic health. Also seed oils, incorrectly called "vegetable" oils, contribute extensively to our modern chronic disease woes. It is truly amazing how enormously powerful a low-carb way of eating can be. Weight loss is almost the least of the salutary effects.

Suggested initial reading; Lies My Doctor Told Me by Dr. Ken Berry.

Posted 1 month ago #
  46. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and drink a 24 pack of sodas per day

My God man! That doesn’t make you feel crappy?

Posted 1 month ago #
  47. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@darwin: Well said...agreed on all counts.

And I love the title of that book. With that title it's bound to contain valuable insights.

Posted 1 month ago #
  48. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FWIW I’ll share my experience. About 5 years ago I started regular exercise, which I’ve continued to the present. I didn’t lose an ounce, but it felt good having a basic level of fitness and I remember how shitty it felt to be stiff and have no stamina. That’s long gone now. About 1.5 years ago I started the 5:2 diet (restricted calories — for me, 600 calories) 2 days a week, and I’ve stuck with it. I lost 35 pounds, a pound a week, right from the beginning and then plateaued. I plateaued for a simple reason: I drink no alcohol during the week, but I drink beer like a frat boy about 2 weekends a month. Thats fixable, but the 5:2 thing has been great. It took some getting used to, and is not easy, but I learned that I can do it. I fined tuned my “meal” choices, and I don’t think about it much any more. It’s taught me what true hunger feels like, and makes me mindful of everything I eat all week long. Also, I get more sleep because on my low calorie days I just want to go to bed earlier. Obviously, it might not be right for someone with blood sugar issues. One of the best things about it is it makes room for the occasional big meal, holiday, beer bong contest, etc., and you can maintain your weight, and then hopefully get back on the loss cycle in “normal” weeks.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

stanwellman

Login to Send PM

All diets have one major trap built into them for the majority of people: as soon as one gets down to the target weight, slowly but surely, old habits start to creep back in and before one know, another diet program is required.
    From my personal experience, it is a much better idea to change the objective from a weight loss to an improved cardio state. By doing this, one eliminates the yo-yo effect since cardio health is an ongoing and never ending goal.
    So take all the steps described above: limiting certain food and beverages, exercising, staying physically active but do it all with the target of cardio health. Weight loss will follow, and it will not come back.
    Just my two cents on this issue.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  50. cshubhra

cshubhra

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lost a total of 8 pounds and 4 more pounds since I posted in this thread a month back. Only thing I did ... walk/run for 55 minutes 2/3 times a week at a pace of 15 minutes/mile. I eat everything... except I stay away from sugar by choice.

My physicals also came out best - considering last 12 years or so.

Special note - I love fat / fatty greasy food.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  51. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

I think the 1 pound a week mentioned earlier in this thread is a healthy goal. I lost 30 pounds over a 1 year period a couple years back by cutting out sodas and sweets and focusing on reducing my calorie intake and eating smaller portions. I've since gained it all back but am working to get back to where I was. My problem is portion size, I generally am happy to eat pretty healthy but even with lower calorie food you can gain weight by eating too much. Like anything in life, you've just gotta set realistic goals and stick with it. I'm down a few pounds over the past month and I'm trying to exercise more and continue focusing on smaller portions to lose another 20 or so pounds. Good luck to you!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  52. pinchoftobacco

pinchoftobacco

Login to Send PM

Keep at it, over the last year I took of 70lbs and I feel like a knew man.

Posted 1 week ago #
  53. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Commendations on your weight loss. If you can weave in strategies on diet and activity that maintain a lower weight, that will make your good work last. My challenges with diet and exercise are different, as these often are with some age, but everyone has to handle these issues. People at their best weight still have to maintain it. No one gets home free. You're doing great.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bluegrassbrian, yaboofive, bnichols23, jeff540, jchaplick, k9shag, aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts