PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Alright I've been trying burleys, aros, and English, what say you on Virginians to try?

LTF and the Virginias Slices are good intermediates from aromatics to Virginias, but for the real Virginia experience, I'd have to vote for the Red Cake 5100. It'll give you an idea of what a good red Virginia is like. But, there is a whole range out there to try also. But, Red Cake will give you a base flavor to enjoy the rest by, IMO. SGs Full Virginia Flake (FVF) would be the next step.

But really, any of them will get you on the road.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
The obvious vas for me are Full Virginia Flake, Opening Night and Old Gowrie, along with some of the Mcclellands. Good luck!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There are soooo many! Even a quick search at TR.com revealed 94 four star straight Virginia blends!

Dunhill Dark Flake is as good as it gets.

003-021-0021.jpg

But L.J. Heart Virginia sets a standard of its own, too. And it comes in bulk, just in case you get hooked on it! :wink:

hsv-tp-1000.png

For less wine-like, and more grassy tasting Virginias, consider either Capstan Blue or Gold, or Samuel Gawith's Golden Glow. Either of those will put you in the mainstream of the genre.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Cosmic, what are your top 5 Virginias? It has taken me quite a while to warm up to them, and each time I go back to a blend that I thought was meh, it seems to have more flavor than before. The learning curve is longer than with others. Just curious. I value your opinion. FVF is one that I enjoyed much more later than the first time

Dec 28, 2015
My absolute favorite Va is F&T cut Va plug. But it's kinda hard to find. 2nd favorite is SG full Va flake. Easier to find but harder to smoke. Dunhill flake is a good middle of the road Va to try as a baseline in my opinion.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
My first Virgina was Orlik Golden Slices... changed my life.
I don't smoke it much anymore but it served as the perfect transitional blend.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Full Virginia Flake is one of the best but at the same time it's one of the worst flakes to recommend to a beginner. There is a learning curve involved and most beginners seem to have problems with it so for that very reason I will not recommend it.
I agree with Cortez, Dunhill Dark Flake is definitely one of my favorites but I'm still not sure it's the best one to start out with.
I would say 5100 would be great to get ya started and then maybe try a VaPer like Escudo.
I would also recommend starting out with something that is lightly topped as it can help you cross over, something like Orlik Golden Sliced won me over with the first puff.
Overall, be patient with it. Some people seem to taste and enjoy VA's right away and others it seems to take some time. I had a hard time with straight VA's at first. I couldn't taste anything other than what I thought tasted like cigarette smoke. It took me many years to truly enjoy VA's and now I couldn't live without them. So be patient and experiment. Try it at different times of the day and try it in different pipes. If it doesn't work for you now don't swear the leaf of forever cause you'll probably come around to it later on down the road.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Everything recommended so far. McClellands may have the largest selection of standout Virginia blends, but there are many others. PC's Russ O. has done some great Virginia blends. I like Fire Storm, a Va/Per/dark-fired. Virginias is a chance for your small-medium pipes, your best clenchers, to shine. Usually you don't need a particularly broad bowl, since they bloom in the medium pipes. Remember not to over-smoke Virginias, just sip and savor. People get put off by tongue bite, but it never has to happen. Just take it easy.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My favorites are:
Dunhill Flake

Capstan Blue

Newminster No.400

Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake (hint of Perique)
Other than that, I mainly prefer VAs as full-on Va/Pers or hybrids like Marlin Flake and Golden Sliced. Luxury Twist Flake is good after it has aged a bit and the flavoring has settled down.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
McClelland Boston 1776, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake, Dunhill Ye Olde Signe! All of these are fantastic!
Tim

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
+1 to Hawky454.
I found virginia's to be quite "boring" the first few times I smoked a bowl. It took several bowls, at least 20, before it started to grow on me. I like to open a tin and let it sit in a jar for a spell. After at least 6 months I noticed a dramatic difference in flavors. I find it to be much sweeter and a tad bit spicy. I now have Red & Black along with Mellow Mallard jarred and I smoke each at least once a week.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
FVF, though it can be finicky.
Astley's 109 is a great introduction.
Old Gowrie is a good rough cut if you don't want a flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.