Time Machine Treatment for Ashton Bulldog (re-stem)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This time, instead of giving an old-design pipe a more modern Danish-y stem, the motivation was the reverse: to take a modern piece of BritWood and give it one of the "swan neck" stems that were popular in the early 20th century. (The finest examples, imo, being the Dunhill LC and CK models from the late 20's through the mid 30's)
The pipe in this case was a 1987 Ashton bulldog. A well-cut little guy about a Group 3.5 in size.
Here it is with the original stem:
anS4c5w.jpg

And here is with the new one:
fH4pl38.jpg

XAvFEI8.jpg

ZHTibFL.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You sir, are a genius and artist. I had that same pipe, but never liked the longer stem, it felt like an ugly duckling. Your restem is perfect. Sometimes Taylors sense of proportion was just off. IF there is any chance you want to sell that one PM me ASAP!
How in the world did you recreate that stem logo? That would be a fascinating detail to learn/see.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is the same pipe, from my collection, with a saddle stem, same problem. I'm PM'ing you to see if you could do the same stem for my pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
SS --
10-4 on proportion problems with some Ashtons. Not all, by any means, but enough that you start noticing after a while. Usually too long for the stummel.
I'm not SURE why, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because short, thick stems are a time-consuming PITA pain to bend smoothly, but if you take too long and manage to get the tenon too hot you have a whole new problem to deal with. Much ea$ier from a throughput / production standpoint to stretch and thin 'em as much as your customers will tolerate.
Then again, maybe Bill never cared for the swan neck look, and Jimmy is just keeping the brand pure.
Those oldies sure are pretty, though:
4bN0cFK.jpg

I received your PM. Be glad to fix you up if you're so inclined. :D
Also, the pipe in the pic isn't mine to sell. It's a customer's.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Outstanding in every way. The original stem was pinched, too long, strangely proportioned, and awkwardly bent. This new one is what this pipe was meant to have all along. Absolutely gorgeous. The taper, the curve, the length - all perfect. I cannot even imagine a better overall design.
As for why it was originally made that way, I think George nailed it. Making stems like that is clearly difficult, ore more makers would do it. The shapes that depended on having that sort of graceful taper have always been amongst the rarest and most highly prized of the classic shapes. (Think Dunhill LC and CK.) It's no wonder some makers would take shortcuts to keep from pulling their hair out...

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Another beauty George. That is a very graceful curve on the new stem and it looks fantastic. WELL DONE. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.