Time Frame For Dunhill Patent 1343253/20

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by sablebrush52
  • Latest reply from sablebrush52
  1. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I've been looking on line for an answer to the following question and am hoping that someone here knows it. This US patent, granted in 1920 for an innertube with flange, was used for many years. Does anyone know when Dunhill ceased using it?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. guhrillastile

guhrillastile

Login to Send PM

Thought it was changed in 34. I'm not a Dunhill historian but thought that was the 1925-1934.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I read one puffer state he has a 1966 Dunhill with the inner tube. Someone else said that Dunhill still makes pipes with the inner tube -- whether that's true, and if so it's only available as a special order, I've no idea.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

Pipephil seems to suggest that, although granted as a US patent for the flanged inner tube in 1920, it was stamped on pipes from 1927-1933 and the again from 1937 - 1941 (though in the latter case without the words inner tube also stamped - that ceased 1n 1935):

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/patent2.html#349

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi guys! Thank you for your help. Dunhill continued to use inner tubes for many years and may still do so, as far as I know. It's not the inner tube, it's the duration of the patent and the timeframe for the actual use of this particular patent stamp that I'm trying to determine.
    I've seen the pipephil timeline and I'm looking for any corroboration from other sources.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

It's not the inner tube, it's the duration of the patent and the timeframe for the actual use of this particular patent stamp that I'm trying to determine.

Sable, I know you're probably not a patent attorney, but nontheless, it should be relatively easy, using U.S. Federal Patent Law, to determine when, by law, patents expire, changed, renewed, etc.

Now get busy and good luck with that

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi rothnh,

Not a bad idea. I did look at the actual patent application. You can find it using Google patents, but could not see where it listed a period of duration. For example, the Barling stem and bit patent stipulates 14 years. I couldn't spot any such stipulation on the Dunhill patent, which was granted 16 years earlier than the Barling one. Patent law changes and has different rules for different items. There's no "one size fits all".

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Things change, or our patent attorneys would be starving. But I'm sure the internet should provide details, but I'm just not that interested to look that up.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nor am I, but I promised a friend that I would help him out with this question. He's technologically phobic to an alarming degree. Currently I'm on the US Patent Office's Documents site, watching the little wheel spin while supposedly retrieving specifications. Boring.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lestrout, ajohnb, scrumpyjack, weezell, canadianpuffer, jiminks, sablebrush52, dmcmtk, chilllucky, brl25, marc75, pipesinperu