PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
So I was hoping to do this over the holidays but things got busy and well I just forgot. The last Grabow contest was a lot of fun with some friendly competition. This go around the focus will be on a particular pipe shape rather than brand. Also you will not have to buy the pipe during the contest time but it cannot have already been restored. So, what shape would you like to see in the next contest. All suggestions are welcomed regardless if you plan on joining in or not.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've never done a restore, but I have a thrashed pot shape, a Wally Frank, I think.
Maybe I can give you pros something to laugh at...
jay-roger.jpg

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I like clapped out. If you want to add a shape, a straight poker, most non descript and common shape out there in the sixties.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
There is no shortage of talented restorers on this forum. I'd suggest they make own their choice for a starting point and submit the results to the community to render it's verdict.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Just wanted to bump this... if there’s not much interest we won’t worry about it.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I'd be interested. I have never really restored a pipe, but up for a challenge.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
I'm waiting for verdict on shape. I'm itching to go to the trade days and antique markets to go look for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I never grasped the contest aspect of the resto's, maybe because I don't do restoration myself, but I really enjoy seeing these pipes go from dumpster qualified to better than new. Since pipes do change over the years, these end up being beautiful like-new pipes that are few of a kind. You just about can't go out and buy one like this anywhere.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I've done a few when I had more time and sold some. When I look back on the pictures I wish I hadn't sold them but I kept others. I justify the cost of the ones I keep by selling others. I have a bunch of ones right now that are a bit of a mess so assuming the shape works I'll give it a go.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
The contest aspect is purely to make it fun and challenge people to go the extra mile. The reason for throwing things like shape, brand, cost is to make it interesting and stretch folks to mess on a pipe they might not have other wise.
So, in trying to just go ahead and decide a shape, I went with something I have had absolutely no desire to mess with, it’s more of a genre than shape, the “dry system” pipe. This will include any pipe designed with a designated chamber to hold dottle/spittle such as Peterson system, Well pipe, Oom Paul, Wellington’s, Savinelli dry system, we’ll even throw in cavaliers. This should give people a wide range of choice and availability.
I will make a separate thread announcing the start date and rules. If any one cares to donate a something for the challenge that would be great (tobacco, etc..). Hopefully this will encourage those who have thought about restoration but never started.

Status
Not open for further replies.