PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
We need another discussion of some Esoterica blends, Tilbury and Stonehaven. Both VA/Bur blends and when is the last time anyone saw Tilbury available? Does that mean it is better since you can get Stonehaven if you look for it. I saw a bag of Tilbury on consignment for $175.00 and Stonehaven goes for less even though pricey.

Dec 24, 2012
It's weird, when I started cellaring a few years back I could get Tilbury, Dunbar and Dorchester quite easily, and as a result I have around 10 lbs of each. In the last year or so I haven't really seen any of them for sale, though I had assumed that was because I simply wasn't looking for them. They are all great blends, though I still prefer Stonehaven to each of them.

May 31, 2012
Tilbury was an early favorite of mine and easily available when I first started.
In my eyes, not much comparison -- with quick shorthand I'll say that Tilbury is a very sophisticated codger burley.
Yes, I'm being lazy and it deserves a better description,

it really is good stuff.
The musty and somewhat off-putting nose upon opening is strange, like dirty feet or moldy cheese, but when smoking it is quite good.
I haven't smoked any in quite some time though.
Germain's has my utmost respect,

but I just don't care anymore.
They cannot get their shit together and at this point I am highly annoyed by their incompetent manufacturing abilities.
I still love those Jersey devils,

but damn'd if they don't make a bloke wanna strangle 'em!

:lol:
j/k

note to our more sensitive readers: I do not really desire bodily harm upon them,

it's all just flippant figurative speech
Carry on.
:puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
incompetent manufacturing abilities
Many a small business is this way: they have their standards, and will not bend, and are not interested in expansion.
Unfortunately, in a shrinking market (since 1950, for example) one either expands and becomes the eater of other fish, or serves as a tasty meal.
Germain's will last as long as it stays within the family; then, it will be purchased, and Stonehaven will appear in round tins for $16 apiece.

May 31, 2012
Many a small business is this way: they have their standards, and will not bend, and are not interested in expansion.
Unfortunately, in a shrinking market (since 1950, for example) one either expands and becomes the eater of other fish, or serves as a tasty meal.
Germain's will last as long as it stays within the family; then, it will be purchased, and Stonehaven will appear in round tins for $16 apiece.
Agreed.
Many good points were brought up in this old chestnut,

an illuminative and entertaining read:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/esoterica-tobacciana-a-history
:puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've read through this thread and find myself both angry and hurt... and if I'm honest, quite confused. It's not actually because of this thread that I feel this way. This is simply how I feel generally speaking :)

Reactions: redrooster1977

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Confused, angry and hurt... those seem related. Will you tell us more?
It seems to me that when a society leaves behind the path to success, it does so invisibly, and most are afraid to say the Emperor has no actual clothes, and this causes emotions like that. Or is it something else?
I can only recommend OJK and armed revolution!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's my belief that we're born with emotions. Whichever emotions are experienced the most very early on become the comfortable ones, even if they're bad. They become the go-to emotions, the ones you'll return to when you're alone because they're familiar/comfortable. I was just kidding though because of lowercase said, but the concept holds true.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's my belief that we're born with emotions. Whichever emotions are experienced the most very early on become the comfortable ones, even if they're bad. They become the go-to emotions, the ones you'll return to when you're alone because they're familiar/comfortable.
This forum waxes philosophical today, and I think that's a good thing.
The above quoted statement is quite profound, and I agree with it.
It's why stability -- of society, of family, of values -- is so important.
Reminds me a bit of Calvinism but a gentler form. Thank you, Nate.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I haven't seen any Tilbury or Dorchester in quite a while, they are the only two Esoterica blends I look for. I've found Penzance, Pembroke, And So To Bed, Brighton, Ramsgate and Margate.....all of which do me no good. My guess is those two just haven't made it back around in the production rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.