PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Cleaned some of my pipes and now it is nearly impossible to get the stem back in!Any help out there??

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
Could be temperature related, set them in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes it should be no problem. If not, it could be whatever you used to clean with. Just let them dry for a bit and try again. Usually works for me anyhow!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I use high test moonshine to clean with.This was a few weeks ago.It's not a question of getting the tenon out,its gettin it in..

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I understand that, but whether it's stuck inside or out, the freezer will expand briar and contract the tennon. If anything I doesn't hurt to try :puffpipe:

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Try rubbing a lead pencil on it...the graphite should help lube it enough to go back together.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sounds like the shank has swelled.

I suggest you let the pipe rest in a very low humidity environment.

Possibly the warm area on the top of your fridge.

However; I would not put it in an oven.

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
The graphite pencil method works well in most cases but sometimes you need to sand the tennon down a little to make it fit correct. Be careful if you have to force the tennon in as when the pipe expands during smoking it can lead to a cracked mortise.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
If it fit before I'd be hesitant about removing material to make it fit now. What did you clean it with that has changed the dimensions so much?

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
How much of it did you use? Seeing as it's being used to just really clean and maybe leave a little flavour for about 2 seconds after you first light it, the fact that it's "high test Moonshine" really isn't all that impressive. A word to the wise I wouldn't use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.