PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
I've been lurking on here for a while now and thoroughly enjoyable as that has been I need some advice. I recently bought a lovely Petersons Donegal Rocky 120. Unfortunately the stem is so damn tight that I cannot get it to completely fit on the bowl. I was wondering if I should let nature take its course and with a bit of encouragement wrestle the thing into its proper place after a few smokes or apply some treatment. Any thoughts would be greatfully welcomed.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't force it! You might take a pencil and "color " the tenon. The graphite acts as a lubricant.You can also put a little beeswax on it to lube it. If that doesn't work it may need some very careful sanding.

Jul 15, 2011
Beeswax is a great temporary fix. All natural and totally organic. I get the 1 oz blocks. Take the tenon (the part of the stem that fits into the pipe), press it into the block of beeswax, and turn the stem to apply a thin coat of beeswax onto the tenon. The beeswax will lubricate the stem and should make it easier to insert. You may need to reapply after about 6 or 7 smokes, but it is the only thing I have found that is completely safe for you and the pipe, and is a cheap fix. It also works great for tightening up a loose bit as well. Works wonders!

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
I thought Beeswax would tighten it,I say try the graphite it usually works for me.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I had the same problem with my petersons churchwarden and i was afraid i was going to break the stem. You can use a very fine sand paper and twist the tenon in it to make it fit better, but you have to be careful for obvious reasons. Go slow one small twist wipe it off and check it. Go from there. Mine now fits perfect and i have done this with other pipes too.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I have the same problem with a tinderbox pipe that's for asking the question tom12.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Wow, great work gents, I knew I came to the right place. I have tried the beeswax method but as others have said this worked better for me with loose stems, I'll give the graphite method a go and see what happens. Thanks all, for such a lightening response.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Bees wax will not make an already tight stem tighter. It can safely be used to tighten or lube a tenon.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Great piece of info for when this will eventually happen to me... if I remember it.
FYI: Pencils are not made of lead anymore. For obvious reasons. Graphite is most commonly used. See Wiki

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
correct spartan however in the uk we slang them still as lead pencils but yeah graphite. :)

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks to all, I was able to easily fix tight stern with my wifes burtsbees lip balm. Worked incredibly well. Its nice that other s on this site have figured out pipes little issues. Saves us newbies frustration.

:worship:cheers

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
I've had many pipes in the last few weeks that had bits that were too tight or too loose.

I got a Castello Sea Rock KKK in the mail Saturday that was so tight I couldn't remove the bit.

I had to wrap a cloth around it and use slip-joint pliars to get it out. It was a military fitment, so that might be a perfect candidate for lubrication. I'll buff it before lube and see if that solves it.

The ones that are too tight I wrap some 600 grit around the tenon and in a few seconds it's a perfect fit.

I did so little sanding that I'd advise being careful not to do too much.

Just buffing a tenon might be enough.

If I take off too much from sanding or buffing, I put it under a 500 watt halogen work light for a few minutes and press lightly on the end to fatten it back up.

Two weeks ago I did this and tried a fit while the tenon was still hot and twisted the tenon right off the bit.

Expensive lesson, but a lesson remember is very valuable for future use. I'll never do THAT again. Hah!

I only do this with the hard rubber Vulcanite/Ebonite bits.

Keep in mind that these are delicate things that respond rapidly do a light touch is needed.

I'd say it's 90% contemplation and 10% execution.

Banjo

psperrytops

Lurker
Sep 15, 2016
I know these posts are old, but just had to do the same to a new Dunhill where the stem was just too tight. The graphite worked perfectly. Went from too tight to correctly snug. Thanks so much.

Perry

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wait - don't force Peterson stems to fit flush (at least on System pipes), they are might to be a slip-fit that decreases the gap over time (Peterson's "slip-fit"), hoping that the OP didn't force the issue with that model.

Jun 27, 2016
I have found that cleaning the plastic tenon with alcohol (and probably the mortise where it would sit) is a good first thing to try. I have pulled thin, dry, "invisible" stain off of a plastic tenon, enough to mostly solve a tight stem on a new pipe. A little graphite powder burnished onto the mortise/tenon afterwards smoothed things out even more on that one.

zensmoker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
After I repaired the shank split on my brand new Piazzolla, I lightly sanded the tenon to reduce its diameter and it fits much more comfortably now.

Status
Not open for further replies.