PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I'm experiencing problems with my insert. The flame will go from small to full blast within a few lights and then back to normal for several. I'm using Zippo gas and flints. Is it the gas or the Thunderbird?
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I bought 2 & trashed them because they didn't work like a Zippo does. If I wanted a cheap propane, I would use a Bic.

But I use my Zippos 95% of the time, some with their pipe inserts & the others are the way God made Zippos.

If you are concerened about the taste of lighter fluid, if you draw when lighting a wooden match right away you can enjoy the sulphur flavor (or whatever it is). Light it & give a few seconds.

Just my old fart opinion.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I bought one, but it wouldn't maintain a proper flame and would continually go out when I was drawing. I did an experiment and drilled out the center hole, to make it work like a zippo pipe insert, but id didn't work. I love my zippo, I have a Peterson zippo and wish the insert had worked for me, but it is a waste of money in my opinion. I bought a xikar scribe. It is a great consistent lighter and it has a lifetime warranty.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the answers. After my Bentley started to give me problems, especially since they don't make/import them anymore, I'd thought I'd try the thunderbird. I've never been happy with it's performance.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I bought two, one works fine, the other not at all from day one. Like Roth, I've got a bunch of Zippos in a drawer but usually use a wooden kitchen match, just seems right.

Jan 8, 2013
I use a pipe zippo. Works great :) Or I'll use matches. Between one or the other, with me it's about what kind of mood I'm in.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had two for about 3 years. One works great, it travels with me all the time. The other is erratic. I should probably send it back, they do offer a lifetime warranty. The flame on the t-bird insert is directed down into the bowl, with a cap on the other side. The zippo pipe insert is a wide open ring and I find myself having to really suck that flame down, it's annoying. I also like the small, adjustable flame on the t-bird.

brent

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
On the Thunderbird insert topic - I had 2 of them and both were very unreliable, sometimes 7 or 8 or even more attempts to fire, other times first try just to tease me! Then back to not firing.............so frustrating I kept the parts I could remove in case they were needed for other lighters and threw the inserts away.

And as others have noted, a very small fuel capacity to boot. The Zippo insert is the way to go.
I also like my Nimrod Pipeliter, my Nimrod Commander and my Starfire pipe lighter.
(I posted this under another heading, have reposted here as more appropriate)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My Thunderbird insert failed to work properly. The vendor sent me a new insert, and that's good service, but I think we're still dealing with a fundamentally flawed product. The only way I can get my Thunderbird to light is to bring it close to a flame--not the optimal way to get a lighter to work. My regular Zippo with the pipe insert, on the other hand, lights every time, and using the Zippo black fuel, odor is less of a problem than might be imagined. Besides, it burns at a temperature more than 1000F lower than butane, and that's good for the pipe and especially for the tobacco.

requiemsoup

Lurker
Oct 31, 2013
Hawaii
I've had two. My second one did not work for shit. I counted up to 53 strikes of the wheel without a successful ignition. I bought it from my tobacconist, since I am too lazy too wait and they were kind enough to give me a replacement. The second one worked like a dream. Then it slowly degraded back to being completely useless and now the flint gets constantly caught in the wheel and sometimes it randomly pulls the entire flint out of the hole. There is a no questions asked warranty when you buy the insert, but I don't wanna put more money into it and go out to get a third one. So I went with a Zippo pipe lighter and I've liked them so much that I recently bought another.
Its a hit or miss with this insert. Too bad I've missed twice.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah I benched mine. I usually get a raw thumb trying to light the darn thing. I have a Zippo but haven't tried it yet. I'd rather just leave a few Bic lighters scattered around the house and truck.

kokopiper

Lurker
Feb 4, 2014
Hey - I had this problem myself. then I started to bleed my lighter between refills, and started only using the Xikar butane - presto! no more explosions... lol Hope this works for you.
Also, I have a couple of cheap ($5 or less) lighters from ebay I use for cigars which had a similar problem, and were also fixed with the use of the Xikar stuff. Also Also - I don't work for Xikar. lol.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I had a problem with my Thunderbird insert, and the company immediately replaced it. Haven't tried it out yet, but I confess that I'm not particularly confident that it will work significantly better. I think the orifice is too small, and somehow the spark doesn't seem to reach into the area where the fuel is coming out so that it can ignite properly.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I started to use a pipe zippo after my last post in this thread and do not regret it for one second. One day somebody, hopefully zippo, will make a quality butane insert.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The t-bird insert I use (four years) fires without flaw. But, I use good Xikar Purofine Premium Butane. I also purge all the air out of the insert before every fill.
https://www.xikar.com/products/butane/

pseudonym

Lurker
May 10, 2012
My Thunderbird insert problems were of a different nature. It slowly became more and more difficult to turn the strike wheel, eventually having to force it with my pipe tool, until it just wouldn't turn at all. In hindsight, I probably should've tried turning the flint around to see if that was just blocking the strike wheel or something, but since I replaced it with a Zippo pipe insert I haven't looked back.
I suppose if the smell/taste of lighter fluid really bothers you, it may be worth fiddling with. But in terms of practicality, a Zippo is just hands-down more reliable IMO.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My Thunderbird fell apart while I was inserting it into the Zippo case. Sent it back, at my cost. If I'm going to use a Zippo, I use a Zippo and keep plenty of fluid around.
I'm a sucker for a gimick, just bought a little keyring that's an adaptation of a "strike lighter". Of course, since it's from China no directions. I think it uses lighter fluid and then you take the "match" striker and run it down the side flint. If I show up with no eyebrows, you'll know I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.