PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hand in hand with another thread I just opened....I'm debating selling all of my "Gold" type Virginia tobaccos.
I have OGS, Solani 633, Capstan Blue, Dunhill Flake, and Klondike Gold all sitting in tins or jars...every time I smoke one of them I seemed to be underwhelmed (haven't tried Klondike yet).
I seem to like Darker Virginias....the brown flakes, oranges, reds, and stoved stuff more than the younger, "grassier" yellows. That being said, some of these things have only been tried a couple times. I think I've smoked Dunhill Flake for the 3rd time in a year, and just don't see the big deal.
So...would I be nuts to sell it all and buy something else, or should I keep it in my cellar to see if my palate every grows to appreciate it?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Posted on your other thread, but I like you am narrowing down what I Like and what is underwhelming. That being said I like some of the golds and as they age they will darken and get a fuller flavor, so Imwouldnt chunk them all, but maybe trade a few to find things that satisfy more.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I would say let it age a bit and try it again in 6months to a year. If it still doesn't strike your fancy then you can ask for an extra dollar for "aged" tobacco. lol

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'd hang on to it. It's not costing you anything to keeping it, and besides you can probably get a little bit of money for aged tins of VA depending on how old the tins are.
I dont really have a affinity for smoking straight VAs but it doesn't stop be from buying them. I do like Capstan and Dunhill Flake for a change of pace. I like to have options.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I definitely can keep it in the cellar, and it doesn't cost me anything to keep....except I see money I could spend on something else :)

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
As Derfargin said it's not costing you anything to keep those golden flakes in jars. What you sell it all for is going to get you some other blends, yes, but you'd probably buy them anyway. Believe me, 2-3 years from now if you pop one of those jars you may find that you are head over heels in love with Golden Virginias. I'm constantly amazed at how my tastes change and it seems the more diversity I add in my rotations, the more acute my taste buds become. I don't throw or trade nothing away anymore.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
My opinion is to keep it in the cellar. One being your palate my change and grow to appreciate a more mellow blend. Leave what you have and buy more of what you want. :wink:

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I'm on the opposite end, where I started originally liking the darker virginias and then turned to brighter. Now I enjoy both of them. However, the only one you mentioned above which I smoke is the Capstan Blue, which I actually find to be sort of an in-between dark and gold. I have to go back and do a comparison but last time I liked the gold better. However, true Dark Virginia flakes, such as the Wessex BCDF and the Rattray's mainstays Marlin Flake/Hal o the wynd/Old Gowrie do offer a much different flavor profile, more in the fruity/rich category than the citrusy/tangy of the gold varieties. My advice, like most others, is to hold onto them, try them in different pipes or let them age.

Status
Not open for further replies.