PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Still learning... Since there really are very few cigar/tobacco stores that carry anything pipe related I have been buying tobacco when I can find what looks decent.

I recently went into a cigar shop and was told most vehemently by the owner that he did not carry any pipe tobacco. I saw some empty bulk containers on his shelf and asked if he ever restocked. After he realized I might be a little more into pipe smoking he took me into his walk in humidor and a nice selection of Peterson's tins. I chose the Luxury Blend. I have enjoyed a few bowls of that.

I happened to be at the shop I bought my original pipe and he seems to carry a small selection of tobacco. I have been wanting to try something a little stronger and try something other than an aromatic.

I picked through his selection and after I started to get dizzy from the 5 or 6 selections bought Samuel Gawith Brown Rope #4.

I honestly didn't know what I was buying. I kind of put my hand on the tin and decided it would be fine. I thought it was just an English Blend. I was surprised when I opened the tin and saw the rope. I finally read the cover of the tin and had an ah ha...I so stupid moment. Cool I thought. I like surprises.

When I got home and pulled up a review site I was a little worried. All the reviews were warning what a strong nicotine bomb this tobacco is. Very strong, not for a newbie... etc etc.

I am waiting for my bag of MM seconds cobs to arrive before I test the waters on this one.

Any advice? Should I blend it down with something, dry it, toss it, give it to my friend who dips? Just relax and smoke it????

Thanks

Jim
I

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
By all means,try it! You just might like it! If not trade it off or gift it to someone.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have twist/rope baccy here. I use them for blending with very low nic. tobacco or something that needs that little extra boost in tobacco taste.
Be sure you dry it out and cut the rope into "slices". I myself take the slices and air dry them for about an hour. I come back and grind em' up with my fingers and into a plastic container they go with assorted other tobaccos. But be sure to try it alone so you will "know the taste" then have fun blending!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I would get a sharp knife and cut it as thin as possible . Then give it a little time to breath at this point you can either cube cut it ,hand rub it out or fold and stuff it . If it is your first time try to find a small pipe and just take your time and enjoy it .

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
of course I am an oddball and I use a scissors
animated_scissors.gif

Aug 1, 2012
I have been wanting to try a rope tobacco but just have not had the courage and opportunity at the same time. Let us know how it works out for you. On the nic side, just smoke a small bowl on a full stomach with lots of water. You might get a bit dizzy but you should be fine.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
SG 1792 was the first strong tobacco i tried. The first smoke left me unable to walk for a few hours. I just sat there thinking "Challenge excepted" That first tin lasted me 2-3 months. Third of a bowl here and there then i upped it to half a bowl.. rinse and repeat
Just remember always after a big meal.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
If youre wanting to try something else besides aro's and you dont want something thats really strong i would recommend peterson university flake

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
If you're looking for mild flavors, then you're in for an adventure, because everyone's palette is different.
Even aromatics can bite you.
I'm not even gonna get started about nicotine, because you oughtta be ready for that, you're smoking tobacco :puffy:
I can't recommend a really great Virginia-only or Virginia-Perique blend, because I haven't come across one yet. I'd start with Lane Limited MV-1000 there.
For Latakia-based (i.e., Balkan or English blends), my big three choices are Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club Great Hiatus (might sound cliche to the uninitiated but this blend is one of my all time favorites), Hearth and Home Larry's Blend (this is pipesandcigars.com's brand), and Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding. Honorable mention for McClelland's Legends.
Now aromatics ... there are a lot of good ones, actually. Jack Lee Blend's Halfling Leaf is my favorite currently... PM pipeinhand here on the forums for that one, can't get it anywhere else (and it's a pretty fantastic blend, I'm not the only one saying so). Cornel & Diehl's Autumn Evening is a maple aromatic, quite good. Lane Limited 1Q was my favorite aromatic for a while ... it has mild, simple flavors and is very cheap when bought in bulk.
If you read this, then I'll bet dollars to donuts that you'll be knitting your own rope while smoking your favorite tobacco real soon.
And, all those tobacco's I've listed above aren't rated 3-4 stars by double digits numbers of people for no reason (except pipeinhand's blend, which I wouldn't be surprised if in six months has it's own similar review). You could do worse than my advice. Cheers :puffpipe:

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
A few months after I started smoking pipes I tried a few ropes by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co, Sweet Coconut, rum and black Cherry and they were way too strong and way too much nicotine, that being over 5 years ago and my pipe habits have since changed, i might have to revisit (with extreme caution) and try it again. but I know I didn't care for them back then.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I recently went into a cigar shop and was told most vehemently by the owner that he did not carry any pipe tobacco.
That must be the first shop owner in the world not falling over himself to sell stuff. 8O
As for the rope (great thread title, by the way! :clap: ), it's really dependent upon how you react to nicotine. Are you a former cigarette smoker? What happens to your body under the influence of nicotine? These questions should guide you. If I were you, I would be interested in trying it unblended and if you don't like it, just jar it up (mason jar) and store it. Happy smoking!

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I am a former nail smoker, that was 15 years ago. I am probably going to have to hold onto my petticoats the first smoke :lol:

I guess I will eventually have to start buying online. I had hoped to have a local outlet to talk things over with someone who may know a bit... I am glad I have this forum of enlightened people. Otherwise it is an utter wasteland of ignorance out there :puffpipe:

Jim

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
SG 1792 was the first strong tobacco i tried. The first smoke left me unable to walk for a few hours. I just sat there thinking "Challenge excepted
hehe, I just ordered some of that. I will let you know how I make out. I figure it's going to be too much for me, but after reading the reviews, I had to try some.
I plan on mixing a little in an aro to give it a bit more of a kick - we'll see how that works out.

sixmp

Can't Leave
Jan 19, 2012
Black XX is great :D So meaty So smokey. It's like a BBQ for your pipe hehe

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Here is a great set of video on making this work for you -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG78lNC213U&playnext=1&list=PL70DBCFE977767E66&feature=results_main

Status
Not open for further replies.