PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone,
Been a while since I've made a thread so I figured I'd give it a go.
Recently I made a YouTube video in which I talked about thrift stores and how much I like them. You can go to a thrift store (aka secondhand store) such as The Salvation Army Store or Goodwill and get some awesome things at low costs. I have seen leather jackets that would have an MSRP of $200 there, I have seen North Face, along with many odd items that I just can't resist buying because they are one of a kind.

With that being said it got me thinking about pipes and how some people prefer new pipes versus used pipes or expensive "high quality" pipes over cheaper pipes.
I'd like to ask you all what you think of thrift stores... Be honest. Do you like them or hate them? I would then like you to explain why.

Also, let me know if you prefer more expensive pipes over cheaper pipes so that I can see if there is a correlation.

This is not a thread in which I plan people to judge each other and if you think you might bring it to that point than please don't post anything.

I appreciate guys!
OH! Guess I will start by saying that I am very much so a person who prefers more expensive pipes. I do own quite a few cobs but as far as briar goes, I can honestly say that I have looked down upon many a basket pipe.

With that being said I have no problem with thrift stores and love them as a matter of fact. Cannot seem to figure out why that is. My guess is because I love indie pipe makers and most of their pipes are not the cheapest around.
-Frank

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I love thrift stores. I have also bought quite a few things there and resold for a big profit. I love those one of a kind items as well. A couple of weeks ago I bought an Armani suit jacket for 5 bucks.
As far as pipes go I like a good deal. Most of my pipes are middle of the road and a couple of high end factory made pipes but all found at a reasonable price or gifted to me. I don't buy a pipe because the price is high. I buy it because I love how it looks and it is known to be a good smoker.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Great response I appreciate it.

I should edit the post a bit so that I can incorporate the visual appeal of the pipe in the question as well.
By the way.... That Armani jacket was a great steal!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I like em.

I recently bought a "new" coffee grinder for my chili peppers in one close to us that is contracted with Home Deopt, Walmart, JC Penny's and a couple of other retailers.

The only thing is the packaging is damaged.

So, I'm a regular.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Liking the feedback. Seems as if everyone is savy with their money based on the information presented to me.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I hate thrift stores personally just because here in FL. they can't sell pipes as they are paraphernalia and my ol lady spends entirely too much in them..lol...As for cheap pipes absolutely.I restore them and for ones I don't care for I sell and the ones I do I keep.So far I seem to have a love for Pre 1972 Grabow's and 1960's Kaywoodies all of which I got for $15 or less, granted there was a lot of work to get them smokeable but that's part of the fun.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I primarily buy books from thrift stores but I have upon occasion picked up some clothes or housewares.
I find that my local stores don't always have a good selection, but if they did I would frequent them more often.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
As far as furniture appliances, I will never buy them from a Thrift Store. However, clothes, trinkets, man toys, pipes, books, etc., you cannot keep me away. They are an awsome value, but one must still shop wisely. I like to look at tags, dates ets on many articles. I have scored many pipes, knives, compasses, watches, and of course: most of mine and the Wifes' clothes are from Thrift Stores. We also find toys for our Cat, toys and perches etc for our parrot, weed eaters, coils of rope, enough wallpaper to do 2 whole rooms in our home for $5.00. The list goes on forever mate.
Great thread mate!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I love the unique things one can find in them. However, most of the ones near where I live aren't that great: the prices are awfully high for thrift stores IMO. The great deals are very elusive anymore but when you make one its a total thrill. Never seen any pipes in the thrift stores locally but have scored some deals in antique stores. :puffy:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have never seen a pipe at a thrift store. Maybe they can't sell them in Tennessee's thrift stores. I have however seen pipe racks but unfortunately it was before I was a pipe smoker. I once bought a spiderman cookie jar there for 3 bucks and sold it for 70 on ebay. Good times.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I'd say, Adam! LOL
My best score was an old hand carved stick horse. I got if for $15 and its worth about $150. But it's so old and cool I will probably never sell it.
I've not seen pipe racks at thrift stores but have, again, made a couple good scores in antique stores and the flea market.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I used to see cool stuff at the local flea markets but now it seems to all be cheap junk you can find at dollar stores. I have bought 4 pipes at antique stores but nothing of major value.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I love thrift stores. I scour the closest ones for deals on the weekends with nothing else to do. I have never seen pipe related stuff but wouldn't hesitate. I have found lots in antique stores but it seems the prices in antique stores for anything not broken is pretty high lately.
I like all pipes. Price (unless I just can't afford it) doesn't matter so much to me. For me it is more about the aesthetics and feel in the hand. I prefer new pipes but don't shy away from estates. I own more estates than I bought new.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Mrs Sandoval and I LOVE thrift stores... problem is that all the ones near here are actually quite expensive... but we always try to find those mom and pop thrift stores that are out of the way... in fact all my pipe racks were gotten at thrift stores for a couple of bucks... a good sanding and some fresh danish oil... and viola!

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I live in a college town and most of the time our thrift stores are picked clean of worthwhile and eclectic stuff, but I've clothed myself for work for years. My company provides endless supplies of shirts, sweaters, polos, but we're on our own for everything else. I estimate I haven't cracked the $100 mark for lots of pants, ties, and belts. People don't seem to want their Dockers very long. My next day off I'm going to hit the antique stores, though. Kinda forgot about those! :oops:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Thrift stores can be fun . Books , stereo stuff ,curios etc . My alltime best score a Bose 301 set in black 15.00 bucks, Niles speaker selector 5.00 bucks ,New in box never worn Fry boots 15.00 , tons of CDs about a buck each . You can find some cool stuff sometimes if you know what you are looking for . As for pipe stuff a six pipe holder and a two pipe table stand for the side table . When it comes to pipes I like the estate pipes to be had on Ebay a lot of fun to clean them up and bring em back to life . Normally new is under 120 but there are those times when I save up and get something really nice say in the 350 range . The price paid does not mean alot to me as long as it smokes well and fells good in the hand .

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I love hitting up thrift stores. I'm still on the search for a good cabinet I can repurpose for my pipes.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I love a thrift store and have resupplied many a Boy Scout patrol box down through the years with cooking utensils, pots and pans. However, I've never had any luck scoring smoking ephemera but that kind of thing is meat on the bone at flea markets, antique malls and the Bay.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
My latest thrift store find: a 6 hole pipe rack with a built in tobaco storage box.

Status
Not open for further replies.