PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeg

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
Good afternoon. Anyone else out there a fan? I'd cast it aside some years back as pedestrian, only to find now that it's one of my favorites. Some say the original had perique and latakia (even deertongue); I'm fairly certain that it doesn't have any of them any longer. The pouch note is very hard to peg. Some say fruity, some say soapy. I find it delightful. Sometimes the fun is not knowing. Just because you don't know what makes it what it is, is part of the fun. Flavorings can be comprised of many components, producing a "synergistic" effect, if you will. I just ordered 7 oz. of this stuff, I like it so much. Would be interested in hearing from others regarding this baccy. Thanks in advance - Joe G.

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
I received a sample a few months back with an order from Iwan Ries and my first impression wasn't real favorable. Flavor-wise it seemed kind of bland to me and the smell did instantly make me think of soap. I'll give it another try one of these days though.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
To be honest, I couldn't bear any of the Iwan Ries blends I've tried. They seemed to be universally hot and bland. It's been over 25 years since I tried them, so who knows now. But I'm not inclined to revisit them at this point.

joeg

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
I appreciate the feedback. Interesting thing. The pipe I smoked it in was a small, vintage kaywoodie with a stinger. I'm finding now that when smoked in any other pipe, it bites and gets bitter, despite slow puffing. I have to believe the stinger/condenser helps somewhat. I'm concluding that I can only smoke this in small pipes like the one already mentioned. Also, noted, that in other pipes, it leaves a wet heal. Although it doesn't seem wet to the touch, there is a decent amount of moisture in this blend. I will also dry it out prior to smoking it. I'm willing to go through the trouble to do that, as I really like it. Smoking it slow couldn't hurt either. All the best - Joe.

joeg

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
tbradsim1 (the old cajun) suggests a 60/40 mix of Carter Hall to 3SB (and maybe even a pinch of Nightcap). Interesting. I will try it and report back. Thanks again for all input here - Joe G.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well I'll be damned; I just happen to be smoking Blue Star now. It stands on its own when fresh. It burns a

little hot and can have some bite if it dries out too much, or isn't fresh. It doesn't re-humidfy so well.

It is definitely a small bowl (Dunhill group 3 more or less) tobacco. I think it has good tobacco in there,

and is a nice subtle blend. But it requires some attention and a small bowl pipe. I'm in a Peterson

Rhodesian (999) Killarney, my only P-Lib, and the tobacco is treating me real nice. I've gone from,

"Well, I guess I'll try this again," to, "Hey, this ain't so bad." I'll definitely finish the pouch and might

buy it again. This pouch came with a Christmas pipe my wife gave me.

joeg

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
Glad to hear you are enjoying. It can be temperamental, but, IMHO, it's worth accommodating due to its unique nature..Joe G.

Status
Not open for further replies.