PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I think they cleaned up rather nice considering the condition they came in!
Brebbia, Serif 83 Rubino
Here is the condition in which I received this pipe.
brebbiaset22.jpg

After, should I had stained it back red? I'm not sure but I think it does look better with a more natural finish as I like most of my pipes to be.
brebbiaset13.jpg

Stanwell, Royal Rouge
Again, received in this rough condition.
brebbiaset24.jpg

Finished project.
brebbiaset14.jpg

Stanwell, Calabash.
Condition when received.
brebbiaset23.jpg

This was one of the hardest restore jobs yet for some reason. I am not happy with it and still might do a second refinishing. However, it could be the grain in the brair to begin with because I see dark spots on the outside which look like small burnouts beginiing but after cleaning out the bowl and very close inspection I see no signs of a burn out on this pipe.
brebbiaset16.jpg

brebbiaset21.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm a fan of natural finish, so I dig them all. Looks to me more like deep hand oil stains on the bowl of that last Stanwell.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like the job you did on those nasty beauties! I like the natural finish on pipes most of the time.

On the calabash, to minimize the dark spots, why not finish the top of the bowl with a real light finish, and then use a darker stain carefully on the rest? Might hide the spots, while drawing the attention to the shape of the bowl especially the top. Just a thought.....

Anyway have fun with them, hope they smoke as good as they look.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I prefer a more natural finish, too. But you're right: that last Stanwell is a loss so just don't waste anymore time on it and send it to me for proper disposal! :mrgreen:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice work! Good choice on ditching the red. It's hard for me to NOT put the dark brown stain on all my resto's. In my opinion, brown and caramel color contrast stain is classy, and how a proper pipe should look.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Nice work. The Brebbia is a great-looking pipe and came out very nice. I think you made a good choice on the color.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
You do incredible work Durham. I am constantly impressed by the quality of your restorations. To me they often look better than many new pipes on the market.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Well done Durham! Not sure which I like more - the Brebbia or the Royal Rouge - but they look great. + 1agnostic re the contrast finish on the calabash. IMHO I doesn't look right with one shade; the lighter top would look fantastic and draw the eye upwards on the bowl to the rim. My tuppence worth.
Andy

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
All three rescues are wonderful! :clap:

You've inspired me to pick up a clunker somewhere and bring it back to life.
I think the dark regions on the calabash are where the wood absorbed more tars and whatever. What do you think?

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks eveyone for the awesome comments and suggestions. I think I will two tone the Stanwell Calabash as suggested! That was a great idea I had not thought of before! Thanks!
I think the dark regions on the calabash are where the wood absorbed more tars and whatever. What do you think?
Cortez, It might very well be. It's in the correct location for holding in ones hand while smoking. No matter how much sanding it never lightens up. I wish I had or knew of someone with a sand blaster because that baby would get sand blasted and stained a black and the bowl rim a light brown stain for sure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I missed this earlier, fantastic job, particularly in saving those stamped stem logos. That is not an easy task but those look brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.