PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello.

This is hard to explain, but I am trying to understand what it is about the Presbyterian mixture and the three nuns mixture that i find seems similar, religious themes aside. It is something to do with the sweetness, its a natural sort of flavor (in both cases i am referring to the currently available tins, not original recipes).

Can anyone tell me is it a certain type of virginia, or curing method, or something else? Also what other blends would be recommended with these two in mind...

cheers!

Isaac

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had both and just opened a tin of Three Nuns. The only similarity I can detect is that both contain Virginias. Presbyterian is a lat/Oriental blend while Three nuns is mostly Virginia. There's still a debate about TN having some perique like the original. Frankly, I don't detect any.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"There's still a debate about TN having some perique like the original. Frankly, I don't detect any."
There is a similar debate regarding Presbyterian: The jury is out on whether or not it includes any latakia, even in tiny amounts.
I haven't had the new Nuns yet -- and it's been seven years (to the month!) since I dug out a tin of Presbyterian -- but I don't recall experiencing anything like the OP's "sweetness" in Presbyterian. To me, it's an outstanding oriental-forward Oriental/VA that came across more "toasty/tangy" than sweet in the bowl.
Other than being European-blended VA-based mixtures, I don't think they have anything in common.
Bob

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ha ha! :lol:

I thought this was a joke thread when I opened it -- you know...

Three Presbyterian Nuns walk into a tavern... :lol:

Wow, I don't think of either of these as being in the same flavor profile at all, but now, I'll have to go back and give them another shot.

Yeh, I'm in the Presbyterian "not having any latakia" camp. I get that cedary, leathery taste, but more similar to GLP Laurel Height's use of dark Virginias than a latakia. Does Three Nuns use a darker Virginia? ...ugg, now off to buy a tin of 3N.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is not exactly on the point, but in one blending discussion, someone pointed out that more

tobaccos need to be used in particular blends to maintain consistency, since each single tobacco

changes flavors with seasons, sources, aging, etc. Some tobaccos stick with one tobacco and one

source, but this other point is well taken. Blending is a combination of art and science, and maybe

some magic.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
i realise that overall they are different enough blends, and have different flavors going on, obviously the orientals are quite the point of difference. That is really what has me curious, because underneath those flavors is something sweet that they have in common, i am just not sure what it is! I have about 20 blends on the go at the moment, most of them an assortment of virginia/orientals/latakia, or virginia/burley/cavendish. Amongst them all however I am only picking up this match between these two blends...basically i want to know what it is I am looking for!
Cortez, fair enough, Whoopi Goldberg got sequels out of that joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.