PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Mail delivery today packed my mail box with treasures. Three pipes! Cob is a General with--what else, a pretty stem. Middle one is a La Rocca Twinbore. This is from a trade with Akflim, very nice pipe! Thank you Akfilm. Bottom is a Swiss made with wind cap and a horn stem. What is best smoked in a tall bowl like this cob?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
MM General: flakes, folded, twisted, & stuffed, particularly VA's & VA/Per's, though MacBaren's HH Latakia Flake, HH Old Dark Fired Flake, & HH Bold Kentucky Flake smoke beautifully as well.

I have one General dedicated to SG's 1792 Flake due to its ghosting.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Thank you, that is biar bowl, bone stem, cherry middle section, brass lid, copper spacers, silver stag and silver floral design.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Looks like the pipe ended up in good company. That pipe and I have had many adventures, and it was one of my first real pipes over a decade ago, but it needed a new shop to putter around in.
I do love latakia and perqiue mixes in plug, flake or coin in tall cobs.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@ akfilm, I took that fine pipe out on the porch with some Carter Hall. That baby smokes really well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find tall not overly broad bowls just right for Tabac-Manil Semois thick or medium cut, the Belgium variant burley. It's a dry tobacco, and the tall narrow bowl slows down the burn a little and gives you full flavor. I think it would work for a number of classic burley blends like PC Log Cabin.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Thank all.

@ mso489 -- I have some Log Cabin on hand. Wife runs my outside when she see my pipe in hand. Snow is blowing like a blizzard now.

@ akfilm -- I will also try some coins. Wednesday that Twinbore will be witnessing sawdust flying. Doing a icon holder for outside a church, out of 100 year old barn boards.

That cob is heavy for the size, a sit down smoker. Cut an inch off the bowl and it's called 5 th Avenue!

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@ cossackjack -- I found some HH Old Dark Fired Flake in my disorganized supply, I will try that.

@ pagan -- I was saying that cob is a little on the heavy side, so I took one of my regular bent cobs and did a little reaming to fit that stem to a light weight. Looks good and I can switch back to the General.

When I was thinking about buying a 5 th Avenue cob with that color stem --well I thought too long and it was sold. The old saying,"Think long, think wrong".

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
@ cossackjack -- I filled that General Cob full of HH Old Dark Fired Flake, Truly a good smoke. But, I about froze out on the porch smoking it. Man O man, did it take some time to finish. I like this pipe so much that I ordered a MM 5th Avenue today.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Just got in from smoking the Swiss pipe, tried some Sir Walter Raleigh, smoked well. I need to put a better grade of tobacco in it. Very cool to the touch. My tongue suffered some due to firing it heavy.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Decided to look at the card I had made for the la rocca. That one I never took out of Alaska, but it has been smoked on Childs Glacier, been out hunting with me all through the Chugach mountains. Kodiak, Ketchikan, Sitka, Nome, and here's a photo of me smoking it on the edge of the Arctic Ocean at Point Barrow, The most northern point in the United States. The pipe retired from it's adventure life into the quiet life of a shop pipe, where it saw lots of power tools, sawdust, ivory and bone dust and metal shavings, it's quite comfortable in the shop.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
Thank you, I like that story. That La Rocca won't have the adventures of Alaska, it will see sawdust. I was puffing it today while a finishing wax was being applied to a finished and ready to deliver box. The double bore makes for a cool smoke or is it my imagination?

Status
Not open for further replies.