Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Three Oranges

(49 posts)
  1. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As of ten minutes ago, I am now in posession of three orange-scented pipe tobacco blends:

Planta Anno MMXIII California Dream

Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru #2
    Rattrays Exotic Orange

Each is quite different from the other, with the orange scent ranging from cheap candy fake to very delicious and enticing, and the cut from rough cut small pieces to long-cut pressed flake.

Review pending full recovery from a recent cold.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That Rattray's tin just makes me hungry. Looking forward to the reviews.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Guess which one I like.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wonder if pressing orange peel and tobacco into a cake for a few weeks would work?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chasingembers sent me some of the Rattray's Exotic Orange a while back, and it is wonderful. Enjoy

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tim just sent me a tin. Should I jar it now? I have not unwrapped it from the inner cellophane packaging? I have the California Dream... Jury is still out. Hoping the Rattray’s quality comes through with the orange.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Oh crap, never sent you any! God I'm getting old. I would go ahead and jar it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jar it.
    The tobacco is packed in a bag that is not air tight. You can smell the blend when you open the tin.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will do. Does it ghost? ChasingEmbers, I forgot all about that. If you want to try California Dream, let me know. Will be happy to send you some for comparison to Rattray’s.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It does leave a slightly sweet ghost after multiple bowls, but clears easily.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just took a closer look at the Rattray's tin, and the bag O' baccy inside isn't even sealed.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Nope, just folded over and taped with a Rattray's label.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One has to wonder.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very bizarre. Is the cellophane magical?

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Nah, Solani's tons are the same way. I just jar them as soon as I get them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yipes.
    I'd better dig out my Solani tins then!

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So are you saying the Solani 100g tins are not sealed Duane? I have a couple of 100g tins of 633 and they aren't cheap.

Well WTF! I opened one. I'm glad I saw this thread. Why in the world would a company put out tins that aren't sealed without saying so on the tin? That is just nuts.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I know. Silver Flake is expensive, and not sealed at all. Luckily, Sixpence tastes enough like it to me, is sealed, and is cheaper.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yipes.
    I'd better dig out my Solani tins then!

I think the 50g tins are sealed, but the 100g tins are like Exotic Orange.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q0toEhKRWk

I'll have to try those. I have smoked California Dream and enjoyed it. The taste is more like orange blossoms than an orange but still good.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone was paying attention.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Indeed! Completely missed the thrust of the o.p., numbers, and classical music. Now how bout something with Peter and The Wolf??

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the music from Peter and the Wolf, and I now have Exotic Orange on Alert Me, when it comes in at SP.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just took a closer look at the Rattray's tin, and the bag O' baccy inside isn't even sealed.

If you ever bought any of those Peterson seasonal blends they come the same way.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chasing, you're correct, the Solani 50 g tins are sealed normally.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Umm ... the Rattray's is the only one I've tried. I was hoping to read more about the others.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy crap. I have to go dig out my Solani tins... dang.

Hope the Orange tobaccos are all awesome.

=)

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doesn't matter the brand, if it comes in a tin shaped like the Exotic Orange than it is in an unsealed cellophane bag.
    It's best to jar immediately.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting. I am looking for a high quality aro for Christmas time, and a very good orange aromatic might hit the mark.

Dan, I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I am definitely not interested in a fake orange, pg laden shit show. But if there is anything which is remotely close to some of Glynn's high quality aromatics from the old GQ portfolio I'd like to know about them.

Interestingly, back in the heyday of flavoured coffees one of the most popular Christmas offerings was an Orange Brandy coffee in which the dried peel of Clementines was added to a brandy flavoured medium roasted Colombian coffee. The resulting brew was a surprisingly balanced and nuanced cup of coffee in which the aromatics didn't overwhelm the flavour of the coffee.

-- Pat

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had Exotic Orange and California Dream. Exotic Orange, IMHO, is light years better. They are not in the same class. But will do a side by side with cobs this weekend. My palate may have changed. Exotic Orange lives up to its name.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wonder if pressing orange peel and tobacco into a cake for a few weeks would work?

Anyone have an educated (or other) guess?

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]I wonder if pressing orange peel and tobacco into a cake for a few weeks would work?

Anyone have an educated (or other) guess? [/quote]

I know a little bit about orange essential oil from making soap (another hobby of mine).

So I'll say "Yes" with a few caveats. First, you'll need to find the right fruit. Not all oranges are created equal when it comes to the flavor and aroma of the oils in the skin. Second, you'd have to play around with the amount of tobacco surface area exposed to the peel, and the pressure applied.

That would be a fun project.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would give it a try. I imagine it will take a bit of time. Other options might be essential oil of orange or orange liqueur. And as mentioned above, a food grade sweet orange oil. Some are industrial in smell and taste.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You' want to use an Orange Essential Oil like this, or maybe even a Tangerine Essential Oil. Bergamot wouldn't be a bad choice, either. I've used them all in making soap, as well as deserts!

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. missionpipe

missionpipe

Login to Send PM

Looking for a "Winter Quarters" blend for the morning. Will have to try a few of these.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
    Posted 2 years ago #
  36. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have two of the above mentioned orange tobaccos. Rattray's Exotic Orange, and Peter Heinrich's Reserve Crue No. 2. I find I like the both almost equally, almost. The Rattray's has more of the orange essence and is a little more complex and rich tasting. Whereas the Heinrich's you can notice the orange essence, but it's much more Virginia forward so you notice the grassy flavor of that almost as much as the orange. I switch between the two and smoke the Rattray's a little more frequently than the Heinrich's. Both are high quality tobaccos though.
    So I guess it's for the love of two oranges for me...

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

dreamsofsmoke

Login to Send PM

New guy here, but had to comment. I love the Rattray's Exotic Orange. As a general rule, I'm not much of a fan of aros. I find them one dimensional and uninteresting, but the REO is a fascinating smoke. I thoroughly enjoy this stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Orley, I now tried the Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru and I agree with you. The orange essence seemed a bit sweet in the tin (ok, in the bag), but it smoked very nicely. It's a top grade Virginia flake, and even though the orange is quite subtle in the smoke, it makes for a highly enjoyable pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With aromatics, so much depends on the quality of the base tobacco(s) and how well the flavoring backgrounds them. It's good to see aromatics getting a serious measured consideration on Forums, since aros are 95% of the market ... if not among Forums members. I've added a few to my rotation and find that they set off the non-aromatic blends nicely and really make them pop by contrast.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got to try the Rattray's Exotic Orange yesterday. First off, as for concerns that it is in an unsealed bag: not a problem. The baccy was moist (too moist), and had to be dried off a bit. Maybe because it's 75% rh here. Flavor and aroma were wonderful, very light yet rich orange, and lasted all the way through the bowl. Well balanced, could still taste the tobacco. All in all an exceptional smoke. Quite different from the Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru, this is a true aromatic, but with natural flavorings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woodsroad, yes, exactly. Interested in your take on California Dream. For me, the Cali is missing some "bottom". I have been trying to think of what I can add to it? Or maybe I should press it into a cake... Dunno. I will have to try the PH Cru.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Duane very generously sent me a sample of the Rattrays Exotic Orange as well. The taste has a darker/deeper essence of orange flavor, closer to the oil in the orange peel or a candied orange peel than it is to orange juice or fresh orange to me, which I greatly prefer, as the sickly sweet taste of orange juice in a pipe would be off putting to me. This isn't by any means a goopy type aromatic, its much closer to the Lakeland treatment of tobacco, not to imply there is any Lakeland essence, its just that the Gawiths treat flavoring of tobacco much differently than most and this lovely blend is in that vein. Highly recommended to all.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I got to try the Rattray's Exotic Orange yesterday. First off, as for concerns that it is in an unsealed bag: not a problem. The baccy was moist (too moist), and had to be dried off a bit. Maybe because it's 75% rh here. Flavor and aroma were wonderful, very light yet rich orange, and lasted all the way through the bowl. Well balanced, could still taste the tobacco. All in all an exceptional smoke. Quite different from the Peter Heinrichs Reserve Cru, this is a true aromatic, but with natural flavorings.

Very similar to my thoughts when I tried and reviewed it a few months ago. Very well done aromatic.

This isn't by any means a goopy type aromatic, its much closer to the Lakeland treatment of tobacco, not to imply there is any Lakeland essence

It has a floral note in the background that nears Lakeland territory, but never quite crosses that line. The orange compliments the tobacco taste, and my wife still gets "thank you's" from me for the tins she bought me a few months ago. Still my favorite out of the three.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That floral note is much closer to orange blossom than anything remotely Lakeland.

I'm impressed with how the orange is both a scent and a flavor, and how consistent it is throughout the bowl, without overpowering or even displacing the tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. alialansari

Ali Alansari

Login to Send PM

Is Exotic Orange a limited release blend?

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

That floral note is much closer to orange blossom than anything remotely Lakeland.

I'm impressed with how the orange is both a scent and a flavor, and how consistent it is throughout the bowl, without overpowering or even displacing the tobacco.

Yes. The Lakeland comparison is just to say that it is a very natural floral, but not quite Gawith floral.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Is Exotic Orange a limited release blend?

No, it is available sporadically throughout the year, but doesn't stay in stock for very long.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes. The Lakeland comparison is just to say that it is a very natural floral, but not quite Gawith floral.

I just want to be clear that Exotic Orange is not a Lakeland.
    No soap, no old ladies hankerchiefs, no carpet deodorizers, none of that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I know, it just made the reference in my original review because of the floral background note. But I still like traditional lakelands.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, grilledokra, ryeguy, taildraggin, jrii, gatorlope, renfield, cortezattic, sablebrush52