PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
All I can say is wow.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151313728578?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

Dec 24, 2012
I think Harris should buy this tin and then send out samples to every member of this forum as payment for all of his bullshit we have to listen to the rest of the year. It is the least he can do.
Who will second this motion?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats a tin from James B Russell the NJ distributors. The 4 oz unopened tin of Balkan Sobranie from the early 1980's came from the same source via a trade I did with someone the other month. I was offered three of the 2 oz tins of Three Nuns with the same labels and just could not see the value in the stuff. I would imagine it would smoke alright but really $500 for that? It was about a fiver from my local newsagent back in the 1990s and I didn't buy it them. This sort of reminds me of the crazy prices paid for wines in the mid 2000s

Dec 24, 2012
It does make me wonder. Ten or fifteen years from now, will people be paying these kind of dollars for blends that we smoke today and take for granted?
My guess would be no. I would suspect not many folks even a decade ago were cellaring tobacco like they are today. So there will be much more supply in the future of coveted blends from the current era.

Dec 24, 2012
Everybody who wants a sample of this blend should quickly PM Harris (cigrmaster) and let him know your mailing co-ordinates.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I sold an identical tin on eBay for $450 about six weeks ago. I fell out of my boots (by dancing, of course) when I saw that I got that $836. It was a consignment tin and the owner couldn't come to the phone when I called him. His wife said he was at the computer watching his auction when she heard a thud. She ran into the room and found him unconscious on the floor. She said it was strange because although out cold, he had a smile on his face.
Pipestud

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
100 grams, 2 grams per pipe, 50 smokes in this tin at $836. $17 a bowl. I'm sure there are a few around here who spend $17 on a cigar with some regularity.
For me, $5 a bowl is already pretty crazy. That's $125 for a 2 oz tin. I've paid about $4 a bowl for something special once or twice, but when you can get most premium pipe tobaccos for $.50 a bowl, the inflation seems crazy.
But the fact is that that's actual, real, true blue Three Nuns, not the bullshit attempting to cash in on the name we've seen for the last two decades. There can't be much left of it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If you have nothing better to spend over $800 on and it makes you happy, then good.
Personally, I think it once again proves that P T Barnum was a sage.
But then again, I spend stupid amounts of money on little bits of wood and rubber.
Psychotherapy is much cheaper.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I noticed that tin when it was selling for about $200 and thought it was overpriced by about $175. But I've spent stupid money on other things, so I can understand why someone spent it here. I hope that it is all they had expected it would be. Good for them.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Guys a visit to that auction site shows a couple more tins for sale of Three Bums with the bidding way under $100. Makes me wonder if the $836 tin is going to get paid for come settlement time!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I think Harris should buy this tin and then send out samples to every member of this forum as payment for all of his bullshit we have to listen to the rest of the year. It is the least he can do.
Who will second this motion?
I see it's been seconded. Can I pile on?

Dec 24, 2012
First, be careful when you search for three nuns on ebay as you might be surprised by what you GET.
Second, the best I can tell the other tins are only for sale in the US. Pipestud's auction was worldwide. I would not be surprised if it was a affluent buyer from asia. My bet would be that he gets paid and probably already has been paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.