PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I am thinking of ordering a tin with my next tobacco purchase. I've searched on Luxury Tabacco Reviews trying to find out exactly what kind of tobacco/blend it is and there is nothing on the site about it. There is no information on the Three Nuns link on this site.
Is it a straight Virginia, coin cut?
Thanks

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
No its a virginia burley blend with some dark fired Kentucky. It's quite tasty with a real plum/date top note to it. I enjoy it greatly but it is definitely not a straight virginia

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow! That review article slipped under my radar too! And what a great piece of writing it is!

Nice work, and perhaps the best review I've ever read. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A superior review, with substantial information. I liked the discussion of the Dark Fired tobacco trend,

and the detailed taste analysis, though it goes far beyond my experience of a good bowl of tobacco.

I'm usually thinking or dreaming about something else during all these tasting-fireworks.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Per the above-linked review it supposedly tastes like "salted cork" (not pork!) with "an oily finish of leather". Gotta say that doesn't make it sound particularly tempting to me :) That said I have a friend who has smoked it for decades, but then, that was when it was a VaPer. It's a different blend today, just the name and coin-style presentation remain.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
It's really weird to read a thread about Three Nuns and see five posts go by with no mention of perique. Sad. Things aren't like they used to be.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That being said Escioe, the blend changed something like 20 years ago to the dark fired instead of perique, it isn't exactly a new thing anymore. While I can't compare, and I'm sure the ancient version was grand this "new" version is pretty darned good in its own right.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"It's really weird to read a thread about Three Nuns and see five posts go by with no mention of perique."
But hasn't that horse already been beaten to death here?
Bob

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
I find myself scratching my head with some of these review write ups. How they come up with the descriptions of certain flavors in the taste as the bowl progresses is crazy. Salted cork? How does one even know what cork taste like? This is a great smoke, I wish I could have tried the older version to compare.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I've never had Three Nunts, but the "salted cork" mentioned in the review must be a typo - surely the author meant "pork", right? RIGHT!?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Salted cork? How does one even know what cork taste like?"
Anyone who has opened a bottle of wine should be familiar with what cork tastes like.
Bob

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My take on Three Nuns:

Day 1 after opening the tin: Hated it.

Left it sit for three weeks, indoors, in the tin.

Day 21: Amazing! Tastes like there is Perique in it, even though there isn't. I found it sweet and spicy, with an amazing peppery nose feel. It was as much fun to smell as it was to taste.

Day 30: Started to dry out and lost a lot of the peppery note. I humidified it a little, but it was not the same, though it was still a good smoke through to the end of the tin. I actually hated to see it end.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Just my 2cents for what it's worth. Such a venerated brand as Three Nuns was and for how long, it's beyond me why they decided to go with Dark fired. Don't get me wrong I love it! I bow to the Dark Lord and his adept use of it, but it ain't Perique, and Perique was in the original recipe in a substantial percentage. I was sorely dissapointed in the new version.

Now take the endevors of Lane to resurrect the famous Crown Achivement,and effort to keep it true to the original recipe, I applaude them for such attention to all the facts, recipe, customer loyaltyy to the brand and recipe for what it is!

My father, and old carpenter/cabninet maker told me at a young age anything worth doing, is worth doing right, go the extra mile.

Was Three Nuns done right? Not in my opinion. Thanks Dad!

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Anyone have any imput on C&D's 3 friars which is supposed to be their match to 3 nuns?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Andrew: I wrote a review of Three Friars, and I'll post it here for whatever it's worth.
As a Three Nuns aficionado, I can say that this blend tastes nothing like the older tinned version of Three Nuns or the current tinned version either. Don't buy it thinking that it will or you will be disappointed. You should buy this because of its own merits, which are many.
This has just enough spice to notice, but not enough to control the flavor, which is what I was wanting from this smoke. The sweetness of the Virginias is understated and enjoyable, lightly dominating the burley. The burley is very tasty and perfectly balances the Virginias. Slightly nutty with a light brown sugar taste, and a little earthy. It comes a bit dry in bulk, so you may prefer to moisten it just a little or it may burn a little hot if you're a fast puffer. Once moistened, I find it to be an even burning smoke all the way to the bottom - no dottle. It's not complex, but you will taste all the flavors; a nice marriage of components it is. I can smoke this all day if I choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.