Three New Dunhill Blends

(41 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by peckinpahhombre
  • Latest reply from peckinpahhombre
  1. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was lucky enough to receive a sample this morning of each of these new (or, more aptly, reintroduced) blends from a very kind gentleman who shall remain nameless for the time being. I understand that these will be coming out later this fall.

I am a horrific tobacco reviewer, but I will do my best over the next week or two to smoke each of the samples and provide my unsophisticated impressions, whatever those may be. I plan to use adjectives such as "grassy" and "nutty" even if they have nothing to do with these blends because . . . well . . . I want to sound cool like my tobacco heroes: Jiminks and Pipestud.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, that photo is in Vegas.....

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, that photo is in Vegas.....

Or he used a green screen to throw us off track

I plan to use adjectives such as "grassy" and "nutty" even if they have nothing to do with these blends because . . . well . . . I want to sound cool like my tobacco heroes: Jiminks and Pipestud.

LOLOLOL good one!

Honestly though, what's the point? As soon as the FDA regs kick in the only way we'll be able to get those blends is smuggle them across the border, or get someone else to. And who's going to run that risk for a lousy tin of pipe tobacco? Plus I shudder to think what they'll cost in those other countries.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck: you left out "and a touch of earth".

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Yea Peck I posted that they were coming out during the IPCPR show and everybody said I was full of shit and that
    we would never see it. Thanks for the back up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those sound delicious from the descriptions. Maybe Zika will wipe out the FDA.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deathmetal = Optimist

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dunhill dark flake isn't that a reboot?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

The real question is will it burn to fine white ash . Happy smokes .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The real question is will it burn to fine white ash.

You forgot the part about no re-lights!

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

csharp

Login to Send PM

A few of these tins were sold by P&C to get in under the deadline. I am thinking you should see them as Peck said in the Fall.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

csharp

Login to Send PM

13. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deathmetal = Optimist

Optimist with an assault rifle for other contingencies.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck: you left out "and a touch of earth".

Funny thing. Just retired to the porch a while ago with a pipe and some GLP Embarcadero and decided to look it up on TR, and lo and behold (with all due respect, Jim I value your reviews) JimInks not only whipped out the 'earthy' but almost every other cliche adjective for a tobacco review.I'm not lying.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. sajgre

sajgre

Login to Send PM

They all sound very interesting! I'm not sure if that is good because it just means I'll probably have to cellar 3 more blends

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jmill: there's only so many adjectives one can use to describe the flavors of tobaccos. They taste like what they taste like, and the inherent aspects of each are generally few in number, so there's no way to avoid repetition. Cliches are often repeated truths, and we just have to live with that.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My samples of all three blends are below.

First up is Ye Olde Signe, which I am loading right now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck, get to the Dark Flake........

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jmill: there's only so many adjectives one can use to describe the flavors of tobaccos

But Jim hit it right on when he identified the Yenidje "unflavored soda" flavor. I thought that was pure genius. Anyone can identify plum and spice from Perique or smokiness from Latakia. It's when things get beyond that point that makes me really enjoy Jim's reviews, which I usually read while I'm smoking that blend, seeing if I can identify all those flavors.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First up is Ye Olde Signe.

This is a straight virginia blend displayed in a shag cut. I smoked my first bowl in my Sasquatch billiard.

I smoke a fair number of straight Virginia blends, and I am often quite surprised at the different interplay of flavors that emanate from blends that are ostensibly made from precisely the same leaf. Many I like, but some I find a tad monochromatic. I am sure the differences between straight Virginia blends are the result of many factors, including how the leaf is processed and the type of cut, among others. Notably, I tend to prefer the taste of flakes markedly greater than blends with a shag or ribbon cut. As George Orwell famously wrote: ““All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” The question for me, then, is whether Ye Olde Signe is more equal than the many other virginia animals.

It is at this point in the review that I wish I could descend into an orgy of adjectives to describe this blend, because that would be ever so cool and impressive for a newby tobacco reviewer like me.

I wish I could say, for example, that Ye Olde Signe is a gorgeous blend that coats the palate with the beguilingly lush and subtle taste of raisin and captivating plum sauce notes, with anise and lapsang souchong tea dancing expressively in the background.

I wish I could say that the smoke presents a striking amalgam of green tea and almond scent that, on first light, rises penetratingly and seductively from the bowl, while hauntingly beautiful, yet subtly different, notes then reconvene at the bottom third of the chamber for a symphonic performance for the palate that is at once creamy (nay, almost buttery) in texture, making the mouth electric in its bright, mouthwatering citricity.

If I said that, some of it would be true, but most of it would not.

In truth, my first bowl of this blend does not, admittedly, leave my mouth agape and my salivary glands pumping. Don’t get me wrong, this is a good blend, but it doesn’t present anything to me that I haven’t tasted before (and, in some cases, to better effect) in numerous other blends. There is no oscillating complexity or vibrant layering of flavors here that would allow me to say that this is in any way a game changer in this genre.

No, this is just a basic, well done straight Virginia blend – nothing more, but certainly nothing less.

Or at least that is what one bowl tells me.

Three stars out of four for a good rendition of a straight Virginia blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Loved the Orwell quote. Here's another bit he wrote:

Never use a metaphor, simile or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
    Never use a long word where a short one will do.
    If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
    Never use the passive where you can use the active.
    Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
    Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.[122]

I never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice- quel ennui!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea Peck I posted that they were coming out during the IPCPR show and everybody said I was full of shit and that
    we would never see it. Thanks for the back up.

I never saw that thread but, yep, they are coming.

Honestly though, what's the point? As soon as the FDA regs kick in the only way we'll be able to get those blends is smuggle them across the border, or get someone else to. And who's going to run that risk for a lousy tin of pipe tobacco? Plus I shudder to think what they'll cost in those other countries.

Well, I understand they made the August 8, 2016 cutoff, which means you should be able to buy them for another almost 2 years even if a decision is made not to jump through the FDA clearance hoops.

So if you love any of these blends, then just cellar a 100 or so tins within the next two years and you are done. At least that's the way I am looking at this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

Peck, get to the Dark Flake........

Here, here! get to it bro!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With an all-Virginias blend, I suppose wonderful things could happen with aging, but there's no way to tell.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dark Flake will be last because . . . it smells so damn delcious that I think that one may well be the star. Always save the star erformance for the closing number.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am moving on to 221b Baker Street very shortly.

This one may be better than I expected. The smell of this tobacco is very inviting.

Some blends smell good and others don't.

Sitting at the apex of foul smelling tobacco for me is semois – a tobacco that has precisely the same aroma as that of a changing room after a particularly hard fought game of hockey.

221b Baker Street is earthy and pungent, but in a good way, unlike semois.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck: you ought to post those reviews at TR, too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The tin art alone on Ye Olde Signe is enough to make me buy 20 tins.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When we categorize a blend as a Va or a Burly or whatever other primary genus of tobacco plant is its base, we are still only generalizing the expectation.
    Not only is there a variety of Virginia tobacco with unique flavor depending upon where it was grown but each plant itself offers up the possibility of nuance and differential depending upon the part of the plant the leaf was taken.
    I extrapolated this from looking at a PDF cobguy put up yesterday or so, showing a diagram of the tobacco plant and a description of their differences.
    It is likely that year to year changes in growth and production will result in variety, but the plant's origin and the leaf's location on the plant must be considered.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will need to get 2 221B Baker Street just to bookend all our Sherlock Holmes books and CD series(the Jeremy Brett version, our favorite!)

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  31. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't wait to try Baker Street and Ye Old Signe, the reviews for the latter are mind blowing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't wait to try Baker Street and Ye Old Signe, the reviews for the latter are mind blowing.

Well, as you can tell from my review, Ye Olde Sign is solid, but it did not blow me away. I have no doubt it will age well, though, which should come as no surprise. I also suspect that my review was influenced by the fact that pretty much all the Va blends I smoke have at least three or four years of age on them, so Ye Olde Signe perhaps suffers in comparison. I plan to cellar 10 or 12 tins, but I won't be going crazy. I am curious to know what others (with a more refined palate than my own) think of this blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Peck's satire on verbose reviews, and Jim's notion that the adjectives one can apply is fairly limited, remind me that some time ago I thought Jim used the word "earth / earthy" too much. So I did a quick search on TR and found that he only used that word in 62% of his reviews -- and that might include phrases like "not earthy". So that's a pretty good track record. I have tried to write informative reviews myself, and I found it to be easy: you just sit at the keyboard and open a vein!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to trying these blends myself assuming they will be available in the UK. I see TR.com already has two recent reviews of Ye Olde Signe...things are looking up.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  35. sajgre

sajgre

Login to Send PM

My guess is that those blends would be better in months time. They are totally fresh at the moment and should get better fast.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is a recurrent thing that new blends aren't good from the start, a little like a new software or phone that sucks when it gets out and gets better after some time when everybody complained about it and the manufacturer fixed stuff ?

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not like software, which may or may not improve with bug fixes... But it's gospel here that most tobaccos improve with some age. But at some point, months to decades, they start to decline. I believe Greg Pease and others have written about it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. beastinview

beastinview

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm simply in love with the Dark Flake and Ye Olde Signe tin art. (The other is nice too, but nothing new.) I really love the Dunhill tins in general.

They also look quite tasty, as both contain "Dark Virginia," which is I believe a sort of leaf I like a lot.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Next up is 221b Baker Street, a blend named after the London address of the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes.

This blend consists of Virginia and dark-fired Kentucky leaf and comes in a shag cut. I detected no casing or topping, but I certainly did notice an abundance of the wonderful natural earth and dark chocolate aromas and flavors that I normally associate with dark fired burley.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the bowl I had of 221b. I would emphasize, however, that the Kentucky in this blend is very prominent, so those that don’t like a high-proportion dark-fired Kentucky blend should fish elsewhere. I have no doubt that there is Virginia in this blend, but the taste of that leaf was certainly far less pronounced than the burley. This is not in any way a complex blend, as the dark-fired leaf certainly does overpower any other more subtle notes, but complexity isn’t always what it is cracked up to be. Sometimes you just want a simple, yet delicious, smoke, and 221b is the tobacco-equivalent of very hearty diner comfort food.

I was also pleasantly surprised with the strength of this blend in the nicotine department. This was no Jackknife plug, but I would still give it a solid medium on the Lady N scale, and I suspect others who are more sensitive to this component would likely rate it between medium and strong.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good reviews, Peck. I do wish you'd also post them at TR.

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do wish you'd also post them at TR.

I consider that the big leagues, Jim, and I barely play at the tyke level.

Plus, I don't have an account there, and don't really want to learn how things work on a new site.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bouwser, headhunter, buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude