PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtngent

Lurker
Sep 2, 2013
Friday seems to be a great day for day dreaming, so based on that if you found an extra $1,000 in your pocket and could buy any three pipes what would they be? A couple of Caveats, they can be new or pre-smoked (stretches the budget a bit), and they must be smokers, not shelf dressing. For what it is worth, here are my (current) picks:
1. Dunhill Shell 4108 Bulldog

2. Castello Sea Rock Bent Egg 3k or better.

3. Porsche Design Pipe #909 Titan Pearl.
I know the Porsche is over priced (even on Ebay) and gimmicky, but I doubt they will be around long, and they do look sleek.....

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy rockymtngent,
Porsche pipes have been around a long time and for very good reasons they are still going strong. Mine is a beautiful smoker and worth every penny spent, IMO. They smoke cool and very dry and impart the tobacco taste quite well.
As for what I'd buy with an extra grand in my pocket? Well, I have no idea but I'd dadgum sure start the hunt as soon as I felt the green padding my wallet.
Best,
Pipestud

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
1) Lee Von Erck A Grade

2) Michael Parks Grade V Blasted Canadian

3) Grant Batson Tortured/Wounded Blowfish
One day... One day I will have one of each.
EDIT - My bad, I read too quickly... If I had three grand to spend, I'd get close to a grand on each of those purchases, then throw the remaining $$ into a Rad Davis commission. 8)
-- Pat

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Walt Cannoy Suede Blasted Billiard $450.00

Walt-Cannoy-Suede-Blast-Billiard-Pipe_0454.jpg

Walt-Cannoy-Suede-Blast-Billiard-Pipe_0456.jpg

Rad Davis Bing $385.00

FH02248MainF.jpg

FH02248Pic2F.jpg

FH02248Pic7F.jpg

Stanwell POY 2010 Approx. 200$

Stanwell%20Pipe%20of%20the%20Year%202010%20Sand%201.jpg

stanwell_2010_sm1.png

I may be a little over but those are what im looking to get next.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
J. Hackert Short Billiard. I have always liked the look of these big nose-warmers.

Dunhill Shell Briar, Dublin.

And with the remaining money I would find a nice block Meerschaum, maybe with an amber stem.

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Im sure this is cheating the concept of the post, but I would get.
Peterson Tankard Rustic in Racing Green

2 Freehand MM Cobs

and spend the rest on tobacco... lol

Aug 1, 2012
A Peterson Sherlock Holmes pipe

A Peterson Turkish Meer Sherlock Holmes

A birth year Dunhill

The spare change could be spent on a Corona Old Boy lighter.
By the way, love my Porsche pipe and it's a great smoker.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I always liked the Peterson great explorers series. The pipes named after Shackleton, etc. I would probably spring for those.
Alternatively, I love those Rad piles with the interesting wood trim. Like those in Harris's collection. Gorgeous pipes.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
An Amber Root Dunhill Crosby would be my first and after buying that I would be out of money since they run pushing a grand on Cup O Joes, so that is it. Yeah I know you said three pipes but the fisrt one almost breaks the money limit.

~Ron

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Just one pipe would make me happy. A 1956 Dunhill birth year pipe for me with a Cumberland stem...

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
You people are crazy.
1 Dr. Grabow the Duke

1 MM Ozark Hardwood

and 30 lbs of McClelland virginia tobaccos.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
You said three?
Another new Askwith Morta - $400

An estate Dunhill Dress (to smoke when I'm dressed!) - c. $300

Another Peterson's straightgrain - £300

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think I'd get 3 from Rad Davis. Hs blasts are amazing. Nicest thing I own to date is an estate Mastro which I dropped $115 on. Also has a nice blast.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I don't spend in that league, I don't know. However, I'd do a commission, and discuss my ideas with

several carvers who do high-end materials and workmanship. I would not start with the price as a criteria,

but try to describe exactly what I wanted, and maybe add an exotic element, like rare materials, or two.

Then I'd add or subtract until I was in the right neighborhood with price. I'd keep it simple, in that I would

not include precious metal bands, gem stones, or metal work. I'd want the expense to be in choicest briar

and stem material, and in design and craftsmanship. To be honest, I think I might or might not end up with

as good a smoking tool as I have with a few of my old standbys, but that would be the adventure.

Jan 8, 2013
there's a new plastic pipe for 800 bucks... I think I'd buy that thing and spend the rest on a plastic tamper. Let me rethink that. :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.