PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
So my grandfather's house burnt down last year, but 13 carousels of slides were sufficiently free of fire/water damage as to be worth preservation. I've since had them digitized. It's a kick for me to see all these men in my family with pipes. Here's a small sample. Hope you enjoy it too:
My (paternal) grandfather, the one whose house is toast, and to whom I promptly sent a treasured old family pipe (he still smokes) even though he's not allowed in his new assisted living place. He's 97. Photo circa mid-60s.

alan-with-pipe-600x591.jpg

My other (maternal) grandfather, who died back in '97. He was the best. I'd love to figure out what he's smoking here. It looks like just my kind of pipe. Photo circa late 70s.

poppa-with-pipe-2-423x600.jpg

Same grandfather again (with his sister-in-law on left; my grandmother on right). Photo circa mid-80s.

poppa-with-pipe-600x453.jpg

And my favorites of this set -- my dad, circa 1976. I still have the pipe he's smoking. It's an E. Wilke, probably a basket model because it has a really big (unfilled) flaw in it, or a pit that later turned into a vertical crack. Regardless, it's got a cool shape, a kind of diamond-panelled shank and stem ending in a big fat apple. It also has some nice vertical grain and best of all, is a terrific smoker.

da-with-pipe-1-600x598.jpg

And again with my sister.

da-with-pipe-2-600x598.jpg

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Those are great pics. I was looking at the pipe , looks like a brass oval on the stem in the 70's pic, so a blasted straight pot shape, could be a GBD or Jobey. Both common at that time.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Something very cool about those photos, I'm glad you have those slides and even on of his pipes!
I have a picture of my grandfather holding me as a baby with a pipe on the table and would give almost anything to have that pipe.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Thanks everyone!
Dudes in your family know how to rock a sweater. Love that second to last one. Looks like a smoke break at Thanksgiving or something, throwing around a football.
Exactly right! And I really feel like I oughta be a sweater-wearer myself just to keep the faith, but I'm not.
looks like a brass oval on the stem in the 70's pic, so a blasted straight pot shape, could be a GBD or Jobey.
That's awesome, Snag, thanks. I couldn't see the rondelle.
I'm glad you have those slides and even on of his pipes!
Me too, Mike. I actually have about 10 of my dad's (have even sold a few, which I feel a little guilty about). I wish I had some from my grandfathers. I bet they kept interesting collections, though very different approaches to the hobby. Paternal kept them all in a jumbled drawer in his neatly curated library. Maternal kept them neatly arranged on a tool rack in his garage, as though they were, well, tools.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Here's another I just found of my dad. Norway, mid-70s. Now he fits into the sweater motif.

da-pipe-3-norway-600x422.jpg

My mom says "Geiranger Fjord, 1977. I remember it well."

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Smoking... whilst... holding... a CHILD!!! :eek:
Shame! Shame! Shame! The sky is falling! The sky is fall— uh, WHT is wrong with the sky that's not complying with the antis tantrum!? :x
Sux about your grandpa having to deal with nannies. There was a ninetier who was a fellow parishioner of mine, and once he moved into a "care" home he met the contemporary NSDAP and was forced to smoke outside (guy couldn't walk anymore). I didn't know he smoked, although I suspected so because of the dark spot on the lips, till last autumn when we had a church special occasion and there was dinner served. At the end of the dinner I pulled out my Vauen and packed it; he looked at me and said 'I have a pipe just like that'. I offered some tobacco, but his daughter told me that he could only smoke outside and it was now too cold for him to sit out and smoke, so thanks but maybe it'd be better if we hold off on the gift till the spring. I didn't like the answer, but well... however, the man insisted and said that he could have a smoke that night, so the daughter relented and I gave him the mason jar with about a bowl's worth of Sillem's Black. He did enjoy it, and that was probably the last smoke he was able to have: he died in February, way before the spring.
I've never liked those "care" homes, but after that I was angrier at them: just making them old timers suffer even more under the guise of "knowing" what's "best" for them. I am consoled by the fact that the man persisted and that his (likely) last smoke was some premium tobacco—his daughter told me she bought his toby at the local shop and I'm guessing it was Lane's bulk.
Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, Odobenus, but those photos made me remember.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Loved the memories! My grandfathers on both sides were pipemen, uncles too. Skipped my dad and at 92 I don't see him taking it up. Neither sons have picked up the habit but there is still time.
3b5844bb-2f22-4b57-a31c-039d182bc2c0-432-000000722465d797.jpg

Grandpa on mothers side standing on wagon.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Olkofri, what a great story. Glad he got that last bowl of Sillem's from you. When folks are in their twilight years, it's cruel and absurd to deny them the few things that might bring enjoyment.
And Trout, what a photo! Fantastic. Is that tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.