Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Three Estates. I.D. Help Please!

(11 posts)
  1. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

I picked up three estates tonight and I only know about one of them. I need some help with the others. Sorry for the big pictures, my computer is down. They all need cleaned up but I am looking forward to that part.

Pipe #1 The only markings I can find are a horses head on the stem and the words COLOSSAL Italy.

Pipe #2 It says Velani with Cortina underneath. It does have a beautiful stem with AV on it. I'm guessing Aldo Velani?

Pipe #3 I know this one. It's a Dr. Grabow Riviera. It needs the bottom of the bowl brought up but will be a good work pipe.

The 4th item is a Rogers pipe lighter. I don't think it's valuable but is cool looking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

#1 appears to be one of the pipes made by Cellini in Italy. It s not that old, or very expensive. Smoking Pipes had a number of the Italian Colossals estate pipes as recently as last year.

#2 is also Italian, made by Aldo Velani. These are selling for $30-$40 or so as estates.

Nice catches -- congratulations.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

nice pipes. glad to hear your looking forward to working on the pipes. iam cleaning 3 myself, started yesterday.

mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your Riviera is a shape 81-Author- that shape hasn't been made for 20 years or so. Price wise the Riviera was at the bottom of the Grabow scale along with the Lark and Duke.Rivieras are still being made. If your pipe has a vulcanite stem--looks like it does,then it is probably pre 1981--IIRC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the information everyone. I feel a little better knowing a little now about what I have. I only paid $30 for the whole group. I passed on two Dr. Grabow Vikings that the guy had, and also a metal square stemmed pipe with a wooden bowl. It didn't look like any of the falcons or anything like that. It just wast my style so I left it. I got all excited before I went to look at these because there was a Savinelli box in the picture the guy sent me, but alas no Savinelli unless it was the metal stemmed one. I did get him to throw in the box though because I thought it was cool. It has 101 M marked on it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

a metal square stemmed pipe with a wooden bowl. It didn't look like any of the falcons

That pipe could be a Kirsten, or possibly a Gr. Grabow Viking.

You did well for your $30

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was thirty bucks well spent, Rosney.

The first pipe really caught my eye. Those thick walls should make for a cool burner. And your DG Riviera might be a sleeper. One of my very best smokers is a same shaped DG coupon pipe that stacks right up there against my top of the line pipes.

Please be sure and post the after-scrubdown pictures.

Fnord

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cajundad

cajundad

Login to Send PM

First pipe is a Derby , or Mastercraft , I think . Nice pipes !

"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

Thanks Guys. I started with the Velani, and am very happy with it so far. I reamed the bowl and smothed it out. It almost has a ring about halfway up the bowl. I will have to see how it smokes. I then did the salt/alcohol treatment and soaked the stem. I decided that the finish was too scuffed up and table leg like for me so I removed it and smoothed the outside of the pipe. After I polished the stem and the ring I gave the briar a coat of olive oil. I wasn't sure about that part but I was too impatient to order carnuba wax. After a few hours of drying I am pretty happy!! BTW I love that little lighter!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whoa.

Nice recovery on that Velani, friend-o.

Very nice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

The pipe has such a softer hand feel now. I am very happy with the olive oil coating. I'm guessing I will have to reapply every now and again.

One question. How long do you usually wait after the salt/alcohol treatment for your fist smoke? I was thinking a few days.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   antbauers, thedudeabides, dottiewarden, mso489, hwmcadoo, mmjk, phil67, tedvig, igloo, shaintiques, wilson, tbradsim1, cobguy, ae1pt, ravkesef, fnord, captainsousie, carytobacco, w4ti, masspiper