PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I picked up three estates tonight and I only know about one of them. I need some help with the others. Sorry for the big pictures, my computer is down. They all need cleaned up but I am looking forward to that part.
Pipe #1 The only markings I can find are a horses head on the stem and the words COLOSSAL Italy.

image-8_zps5fbcf7df.jpg

Pipe #2 It says Velani with Cortina underneath. It does have a beautiful stem with AV on it. I'm guessing Aldo Velani?

image-8_zps83cc2d39.jpg

Pipe #3 I know this one. It's a Dr. Grabow Riviera. It needs the bottom of the bowl brought up but will be a good work pipe.

image-8_zpsa4c6baeb.jpg

The 4th item is a Rogers pipe lighter. I don't think it's valuable but is cool looking.

image-8_zps4a78a05c.jpg

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
nice pipes. glad to hear your looking forward to working on the pipes. iam cleaning 3 myself, started yesterday.
mike.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Your Riviera is a shape 81-Author- that shape hasn't been made for 20 years or so. Price wise the Riviera was at the bottom of the Grabow scale along with the Lark and Duke.Rivieras are still being made. If your pipe has a vulcanite stem--looks like it does,then it is probably pre 1981--IIRC.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you for the information everyone. I feel a little better knowing a little now about what I have. I only paid $30 for the whole group. I passed on two Dr. Grabow Vikings that the guy had, and also a metal square stemmed pipe with a wooden bowl. It didn't look like any of the falcons or anything like that. It just wast my style so I left it. I got all excited before I went to look at these because there was a Savinelli box in the picture the guy sent me, but alas no Savinelli unless it was the metal stemmed one. I did get him to throw in the box though because I thought it was cool. It has 101 M marked on it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That was thirty bucks well spent, Rosney.
The first pipe really caught my eye. Those thick walls should make for a cool burner. And your DG Riviera might be a sleeper. One of my very best smokers is a same shaped DG coupon pipe that stacks right up there against my top of the line pipes.
Please be sure and post the after-scrubdown pictures.
Fnord

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Thanks Guys. I started with the Velani, and am very happy with it so far. I reamed the bowl and smothed it out. It almost has a ring about halfway up the bowl. I will have to see how it smokes. I then did the salt/alcohol treatment and soaked the stem. I decided that the finish was too scuffed up and table leg like for me so I removed it and smoothed the outside of the pipe. After I polished the stem and the ring I gave the briar a coat of olive oil. I wasn't sure about that part but I was too impatient to order carnuba wax. After a few hours of drying I am pretty happy!! BTW I love that little lighter!
image-8_zpsede03e81.jpg

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
The pipe has such a softer hand feel now. I am very happy with the olive oil coating. I'm guessing I will have to reapply every now and again.
One question. How long do you usually wait after the salt/alcohol treatment for your fist smoke? I was thinking a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.