PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I told myself that I had enough straight billiards to last a lifetime, but when nobody bid on the Silver Duke in the middle I just had to click the button and offer my ninety-nine cents. So now I have three Dukes, a regular, Silver and Golden. No more Dukes! (Unless I see a bent one come up)
1-dukes_zpse7ac632e.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
tuold, I love the angst you had to go through to buy the pipe. In fact the whole line of reasoning seems somehow familiar. I showed the post to my wife and she said, "gee, I guess your right honey, there are other crazy people like you out there. Really? I'm crazy?! NOT buying a 99 cent pipe would be crazy! It's things like this that make life worth living for the financially challenged like me. Old pipes are just fun to play with! (Just my crazy opinion, mind you)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Yes, agnosticpipe, so true. But I prefer to call it "the thrill of the hunt" rather than "angst". It is all part of the madness that is PAD.
I want to add that there was absolutely nothing wrong with that Silver Duke. The finished had been marred by being in a drawer for so many years, but other than that it is a nice clean piece of briar with no fills or flaws. I put some WhiteKnight through it last night and it was perfect.
Got a few more prospects on my watch list for today.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
99cents? Nice score. Btw, you can never have to many pipes. Kinda like saying I have too much money. I'll buy it from you for double the price.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Ya know, I've smoked that Silver Duke several times since posting that and it's become one of my favorites. I'm not too crazy about the little one. Seems to be a completely different animal.
Also, just won a very nice jumbo Wellington for a pittance because the seller listed it as "old smoking pipe". I think a lot pipe buyers search by name and miss the stuff sold by unwary sellers. (Not that everybody wants Wellingtons, but they usually get bid on) Anyway, I'll be working on that the next couple of days. I love those Wellingtons...even with their occasional flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.